FMIC - Version 5/6 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 09:45 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC - Version 5/6 Classic

Hi all,

I have used the search function but would like a conclusive answer on this please.

I have a 1999 UK Turbo and have just bought a FMIC. My question is what happens to the dump valve which is bolted onto the standard top mount intercooler. Is an adapter needed to bolt onto the fmic pipe work? Can you get rid of the dump valve all together?

Any help would be great!

Ben
Old 22 August 2010, 09:48 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm Harvey Smith on this forum and he will sort you out with a dump valve adapter
Old 22 August 2010, 09:51 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As above, harvey sells adaptors.

But nothing stops you from buying, say, a MY97/98 or MY93-96 OEM DV, with a coventional cylindrical IC feed-port, and rigging that up (can then sell the MY99/00 one).

But it's prob good to keep the MY99/00 one (in conjunction with the adaptor) anyway, as it's all metal - unlike the the other 2 earlier phases of DV.

Last edited by joz8968; 22 August 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 23 August 2010, 04:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

What turbo you going to be using?

Depending on the turbo, options will be to blank off the DV, fit an adaptor, fit an aftermarket dv or one from an earlier model.
Old 23 August 2010, 04:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Depending on the turbo, options will be to blank off the DV, fit an adaptor, fit an aftermarket dv or one from an earlier model.
Old 23 August 2010, 06:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5

Blanking off the dumpvalve on an MY99-00 is asking for trouble as long as the standard airflow meter remains in use. Even the green stripe ones can pick up damage quite quickly under these circumstances.

I'd also ask the OP, as per above, what turbo/other engine modifications are fitted, what intercooler he's bought, whether the car has already been custom mapped, and whether he's having the car remapped immediately after fitting the IC. Probably also worth asking whether this is a decent intercooler or not?
Old 23 August 2010, 06:30 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

buy an evo 8 MR standard recirc dump valve off ebay or MLR, right size to fit the fmic take off (if it's just one of the cheapo fmic kits?)

Or as Bob said you can use a V3/V4 std dump valve but I wouldn't put too much faith in them holding much boost if you're upping the power. I ran a V3/V4 one in the reversed position on my FMIC setup on my old V5 STI but it wasn't that smooth coming off throttle so I ended up with a Greddy recirc.

Last edited by jameswrx; 23 August 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 23 August 2010, 06:45 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the replies.

The car is off the road at the moment so I can carry out some upgrades. I'll hopefully be fitting a VF 22/23 turbo soon. The front mount is made by toyosports so I'm not expecting anything fantastic. I currently have a full de-cat and induction filter. The car has not yet been re-mapped but will be before it hits the road in the new year.

Ben
Old 23 August 2010, 06:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Blanking off the DV itself does not cause a problem on a MY99/00 car. Mine has been running like this for years (as suggested by Andy Forrest) and many others also.

With a VF22 turbo it is recommended that you run a DV as the turbo's aren't as robust as TD ones.
Old 23 August 2010, 06:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Blanking off the DV itself does not cause a problem on a MY99/00 car. Mine has been running like this for years (as suggested by Andy Forrest) and many others also.

With a VF22 turbo it is recommended that you run a DV as the turbo's aren't as robust as TD ones.
Old 23 August 2010, 08:51 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input Bob!
Old 23 August 2010, 09:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

That might be your experience, but it isn't mine - and there are plenty of other failures (probably with the older type, pre-stripe sensors, to be fair) to back it up. 99-00 sensor doesn't like excessive vibration - think that's something most would accept.

Originally Posted by Useless
The car is off the road at the moment so I can carry out some upgrades. I'll hopefully be fitting a VF 22/23 turbo soon.
If I were in your shoes I probably wouldn't be looking at those two particular turbo models. Aside from the fact that you're likely to be looking at a 12-14 year old unit, there are much newer, better, better value for money designs around nowadays. The obvious next step for a classic nowadays is a VF35 out of a newage STi Type UK. Cost-effective to get hold of, better performance envelope, more robust and available with much lower mileage.

The front mount is made by toyosports so I'm not expecting anything fantastic.
Indeed. Hope it's actually worth fitting.

I currently have a full de-cat and induction filter. The car has not yet been re-mapped but will be before it hits the road in the new year.
Aye, it'll need it. Induction kit alone is enough to make a remap almost unavoidable (or make an AFR/combustion check an essential safety measure). What type of induction kit is it, btw?
Old 25 August 2010, 10:40 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VF22 turbo is prone to shattering the compressor wheel if run overspeed so not a good choice.
Running any turbo without a dump valve will reduce the service life. By how much, who knows?
I am not sure there are any gains to be had from no dump valve if the DV in use is already doing its job satisfactorily.
The MAF sensor on the 99-00 cars is the most prone MAF Sensor to failure. Other model years by comparison are relatively robust.
I don't know the Toyosports FMIC but the Hybrid Intercoolers come with a spiggot for the BOV takeoff close to the throttlebody. I enclose with the Hybrid an additional silicon joiner for this connection. I also have flange adaptors in aluminium to allow the reuse of any BOV originally bolted on the front of the TMIC. I also have aluminium blanking plates to allow for the blanking off when the BOV is not used.

The pupose of the BOV as the name suggests is to allow boost pressure to release when the car has been running boost and suddenly the throttle is closed. The boost has to go somewhere hence the BOV. With no BOV the airflow will reverse as it seeks the route of least resistance and flow back through the intercooler to the turbo amd I guess beyond. Running with no BOV can signifigantly alter the noise heard through the induction