Notices

2000 wrx part engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 02:09 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 wrx part engine rebuild

right peeps just looking through all the recipts for my car ej20 engine rebuild recept states

head skim
gasket set
hone block
set of rings
wash and clean blockcheck for
alighnment
timing belt kit
rcm pump
big ends
mains
crankshaft
dowels
turbo gasket
uppipe gasket
manifold gasket
oil and filter
antifreeze
injectors cleaned

this was sll done at 73k cars now done 88

so basicly bottom end of engine is new but i still have conrods piston and bores of an 88k engine not to mention the heads aswell

also why skim the heads if the car hasnt overheated how could the heads have warped
Old 22 August 2010, 03:10 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Conrods and pistons don't 'wear' as such, presume that 'hone block' meant the cylinder bores prior to fitting new rings so no issues there.

I guess that the heads were skimmed as a precaution to get a good mating surface for the head gaskets.

As for the heads, they were probably checked over prior to being skimmed.

If the valves and seats seemed okay, the garage could have fitted new valve stem oil seals as a precaution but if the car isn't using or burning oil it's probably fine.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:20 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As per TheVoices. The obvious thing to do, btw, seeing as you have the receipt, would be to contact the place that did it and ask them if they remember the job, and, if so, whether they remember why they did what they did.

Incidentally, your car isn't a WRX. The WRX name was only used on imports in the classic era. UK cars are called Impreza Turbo 2000 AWDs. This isn't as pedantic a point as you might first think. Describing your car that way is an easy way to make folk who don't stop to ask assume you have a JDM car. On technical threads that can often cause confusion and inadvertent bad advice, so accuracy is always good.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:26 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
As per TheVoices. The obvious thing to do, btw, seeing as you have the receipt, would be to contact the place that did it and ask them if they remember the job, and, if so, whether they remember why they did what they did.

Incidentally, your car isn't a WRX. The WRX name was only used on imports in the classic era. UK cars are called Impreza Turbo 2000 AWDs. This isn't as pedantic a point as you might first think. Describing your car that way is an easy way to make folk who don't stop to ask assume you have a JDM car. On technical threads that can often cause confusion and inadvertent bad advice, so accuracy is always good.
yea it was duncan at hypertech that done the work took the car up with the old owner as wasnt sure of a knocking noise he checked it over said it was fine even started another engine to let me hear that i did not know that i just assumed all imprezas that wernt an sti or type ra were wrx cool so i have a impreza turbo awd ok
Old 22 August 2010, 03:31 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Officially the badging is "Impreza Turbo 2000 4WD".

At a glance it looks like "A" for All (Wheel Drive), but if you look closely at the badging, I'm sure it's actually a "4" (despite Subaru markting their 4WD system as "AWD")

Last edited by joz8968; 22 August 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:37 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You clearly need new glasses Joz, looking at your own avatar must've made you go blind, or something. It's an A.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

(..+ hairy palms. TMI )

I disagree.

The diagonal leg comes right down; then the horizontal leg comes across; and then there's a small gap between the horizontal and vertical legs. Look 'more' like a 4 to me....

Thing is it's so stylised, it could be read as either, anyway!

But if it was a 4, then it would go against Subaru's marketing - so it would indeed be inconsistent from that POV.

So I'm actually probably wrong lol

Last edited by joz8968; 22 August 2010 at 04:00 PM.