Notices

FMIC template HDI on classic facelift?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2010, 06:09 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC template HDI on classic facelift?

Just wondered if anyone has a template for cutting a facelift front bumper to fit over an HDI GT2 FMIC?
I know I could just keep cutting an matching it up against the fitted product, but under the current circumstances I don't want to have to be doing this and i twould be quicker for me to do it the other way so if anyone can send me a link to or a copy of a template for cutting the bumper so that I can cut mine then send it to the paint shop for painting prior to fitting would be appreciated.

Ally
Old 14 August 2010, 09:36 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are fitting these all the time and consider each fitment as a one off. A template good for one may be way out on another and if you have removed to much material................
Get the right tools for the job, power hacksaw, jig saw, sharp blade and file.
Lay out the bumper properly on stands or similar. It is far easier to have it at working height than fiddling about chasing it over the floor. From a trial fit mark the point at which the core is visible to the bumper ie. the height. Put the bumper on the stands. At this point a second pair of hands is useful. Offer up the core and markout the anticipated cut with a felt marker but keep the cut well inside of that marked line and probably ignore minor contour changes for the first cut. Then offer the core up again and cut and so on until it is near to what is required.
Final trimming can take place with the core mounted on the car.
The first kit I fitted I used a cardboard template but when I came to fit the second kit I had already concluded that was not the way to go.
Old 14 August 2010, 11:10 AM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just fitted a FMIC to my 96 classic, I can tell you each install is different. I used instructions that a guy called Kip had posted and they were very detailed BUT they were a guide only. The hole in my inner wing was lower than his one and I had to cut away loads of the front bumper and decided to remove the whole of the lower portion as my car has an extended JUN style lip that covers the bottom of the intercooler. I have seen some cars with the IC hanging below the bumper.
I had looked at every FMIC install I could - at various meets and shows and no two ere the same, similar yes but definatley differnt.
The easy answer is lots of small cuts and take your time - Good luck