Notices

uk 2000 power to import

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2010, 06:11 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk 2000 power to import

just wondering if anyone can tell me why the uk models are less power is it engine or mapping and whats best way to bring a uk upto import spec
Old 08 August 2010, 06:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Search will tell you that. The exact answer varies from year to year but in practice it is physical component differences, which require different mapping + other considerations - not least the fact that Japan has higher octane pump fuel than us as well as a requirement for a 180km/h hardwired speed limiter.

This means that even if the mechanical specifications were identical, a car sold into the Japanese market could be mapped to produce more power than the same one sold into the UK while keeping a given amount of safety margin. It also means in practice that many of the JDM models run on the edge (or sometimes outside of) a safe performance envelope when run on UK fuel, and need either octane booster or a remap once over here.

As far as your question re. the "best way to bring a UK up to import spec" is concerned, are you talking about bringing a UK market car up to the same sort of power its Japanese equivalent would produce? If so the answer, again, varies according to what model year of car you have, how you drive it and how much you are prepared to spend, so if you want specific info you'll need to give us some more to work with. Search will again help you, as will a good read of the forum.

Also bear in mind that the Japanese market cars have other differences over and above simple power figures, so if you want to replicate "Import spec" in every way, the easiest practical way to do so is to sell your UK car and buy an import. In some ways though - for example typically longer gearing, or even (from a practical point of view) folding rear seats, the UK cars are more suited to life over here than their JDM counterparts so all depends why you bought the car and what you want out of it.
Old 10 August 2010, 01:00 AM
Jay-C
Scooby Regular

Good info there!
Old 10 August 2010, 04:37 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

its a 96 model i bought it cos its super clean and tidy, nearly every receipt from new etc been well looked after, i looked ata few imports but after a few weeks of travelling and them ending up to be rough i decided on this uk one. its got full exhaust and induction kit but other than that i believe engine is standard. ive just put steel head gaskets on it and water pump etc but want more power.