Notices

My03 sti prodrive 2005 model with occuring acceleration problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2010, 01:51 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My03 sti prodrive 2005 model with occuring acceleration problems!!

Just purchased my first scooby a 55 plate sti prodrive, the car has a slight knocking type rubbing noise coming from the front left wheel when braking. Seems like movement from the strut. Also a hissing type rubbing noise can be heard when moving off from cold and once in motion, this noise gets faster as you accellerate and comes from front right wheel possibly back right wheel, hard to tell. Very noisy in the way of a harsh metal to metal clonking noise coming from the front end when driving over unseen or unavoidable potholes or the 1/4" drop of the kerb on my driveway. Could this all be related to front suspension bushes or Topmounts. My other concern is iam no boy racer and just the other day in the country I gave it perfect stick from 2nd gear to 4th and it felt like it had 200bhp not 300/315bhp I was told, car only in the 20000's on clock. Please help

Big thanks Reading this thread...
Old 04 August 2010, 02:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, confused
So you said its an MY03 car at the start but a 2005 (MY05 car) at the end
Also what fuel are you running the car on?

Tony
Old 04 August 2010, 11:33 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did you test drive this car before you bought it?!
Old 05 August 2010, 01:54 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Firstly I do appologise for the confusion tony regarding the engine model I was told it was a myo3 when after Reading your first reply it's actually a My05 as it's a 2005 model on a 55 plate. And ive used since owning the car shells v power as it's supposed to be 99 Ron I have used £20 of Bp ultimate like 2 weeks ago though. Also I did go for a test drive but being illiterate to what a scooby should go like, I persumed it was ok but thought it could have been slightly faster but the car looked great with 28000 mls one owner FSSH started and ticked over very nicely without knocks splutters and no Tinny noise like a ford fiesta whilst idling. So to me all was well Im not a reckless boy racer nor a rally stage daily driver and since owning in the last 3.5 weeks there's a louder noise when the clutch is not depressed but goes quiet when the clutch is depressed, is this supposed to happen with the scoobies?. Have cleaned air filter element aswell still no change as it was clogged with solidified oil... Would considering a diagnostic session at a Subaru dealer help or make problems worse with the warranty on the car as i've managed to get anhold of someone at the place I got the car place in question MVM Imports; Cairneyhill; Scotland.. Big thanks meantime tony and also thanks to scobbydoo69 for your interest in my original thread...
Old 05 August 2010, 02:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The noise with the clutch could be the release bearing, they can rumble a little, though are not suppose to! Performance wise, your best to get it checked at a garage or a mapper who can log into the ecu and see what is going on, it could be the multiplier has knocked itself down on the BP ultimate (its a bit cr@p )
Start there and see what happens

Tony
Old 06 August 2010, 03:18 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Tony have booked a diagnostic session at Subaru for a week Saturday, will update, also what detrimental problems can occur if the multiplier is down and this cannot be seen to for at least 2 wkd from today..It seems like a 30-40bhp loss
Old 06 August 2010, 10:52 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds in a bit of a state for 28k! Who owned it before you? Hope you find the problems and get it sorted as these are not normal problems for a well maintained Impreza with that mileage.

JohnD

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2010, 04:28 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedmanR30
Tony have booked a diagnostic session at Subaru for a week Saturday, will update, also what detrimental problems can occur if the multiplier is down and this cannot be seen to for at least 2 wkd from today..It seems like a 30-40bhp loss
The multiplier or IAM is part of the ignition advance (timing) strategy in the Subaru ECU. If the knock sensor is sensing detonation (or at least thinks it is), it will drop the IAM down to try prevent damage to the engine until the knock sensor stops sensing knock. Less timing equals less power. Hopefully whoever you have it booked in with knows enough to find and resolve the issue. Fill up with V-Power to try and dilute the BP Ultimate in the tank and bring the average octane back up. The ECU should automatically start raising the IAM back to normal levels as a result and you should hopefully feel an improvement after about 10 minutes driving if this was the problem.

I would suggest avoiding the BP Ultimate from now on. Impreza's don't like it.
Old 06 August 2010, 04:47 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

Simple things first

Sticky caliper (would explain rubbing and lack of grunt if bad enough)
Fubar shocks will knock and rumble like fork (trust me I know)

ALWAYS use V-power and try to use octane booster too (Millers is very good IMO)

And get rid of the air filter for a Green panel cotton filter (a must on any scoob)

Has the car been mapped (are you sure)? You could be on the slow map if you have an ECUTEK mapping.

Last edited by Korrosiv; 06 August 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06 August 2010, 05:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

On a PPP'd car you wont need octane booster, v power is more than sufficient as the ppp is a 97 ron map, its just that some 97 ron fuels are better than others, and in some cases can cause the ecu to retard.
This car doesnt need a green filter (or any filter tbh) its already mapped to use the standard one, it would probably make little difference unless mapped again, then your looking at invalidating any warranty the car has.

Tony

PS, green are ok, but there are better filters out there and not every scoob will respond the same to a filter change.
Old 27 August 2010, 10:22 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Hello again tony and you other scoobie enthusiasts. Had car ready for diagnostic until the engineer at Subaru jumped into my car turned on ignition and there was no engine management light on and told me it can't be an ECU problem as to why there is no power and instructed me that plugging in the OBDll wouldn't reveal issues as since the car is a myo5. So was told to take it back to the place I purchased it where I'm being f****ed about as regards to the warranty been left with a f***ing heap tony. Iam now getting White smoke from exhaust when starting in mornings is this the turbo seals gone? And is this why it feels like 100 bhp if not in your expeirience what else would be stripping my cars performance If it's not be abused by me and with it having done only 30000 miles. I've cried through to many sleepless nights in the last 2 wks and now trying to instruct my solicitor to assist me in the handing of the car back.. Big thanks again, meantime..
Old 27 August 2010, 03:30 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Don't get too stressed about it mate, its only a car and I'm sure theres nothing irrepairable wrong..

Where abouts in the country are you ?
Old 27 August 2010, 04:41 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

To 2000 sport, I know i shouldn't be getting to stressed with the car but the bloody beast plays a big part in my life both buisness and pleasure, Im in Dundee east coast of Scotland buddy. After posting this morn I contacted the nearest Subaru dealer and they're taking it for an hour next Friday which is costing £88 well pissed. It seems to be when car is hot performance totally goes I got whipped by a 140 bhp Saxon last Saturday night it's from during a crack at the Saxo the performance issue has happened that's why Im pissed.
Old 27 August 2010, 09:44 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Regarding it sometimes feeling like it's got 200bhp.. May well be the neutral position switch in the gearbox. The switch let's the ecu know it's in gear and allows the avcs to work. If it can't detect it's in gear the engine will basically pull without the avcs advance and it'll feel flat as a fart.

Mine had this when I bought it, it seemed fine one moment then the next it'd feel slow. Basically the switch has a plastic end and it wears over time not allowing the switch to operate. I bought a new one and it pulls hard every time now.
Old 27 August 2010, 11:42 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The neutral switch something that's easy to fix/replace? How much did it cost for a new one? I take it they all must wear out at some point!
Old 28 August 2010, 12:14 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i would wait and let a propper subaru tuner look at it mate,all of us have had different issues with our cars and we can all say its that or it may be this or have a look at that,untill a good subaru mechanic has the car in front of them then we are just guessing,i had a cel light that kept coming on,was told to change neutral possition switch sensor,i did that and no difference still come on.what im saying is you are upset(and rightly so)and you need facts about what your car is doing and whats wrong,i would get a good mapper to look at it for you but as you are in scotland i would not be able to recomend any to you but there will be several that other scoobynetters will know and recomend i am possitive of that,hope you get it sorted as they are ace cars when all is good,good luck mate.ps i assume you are from scotland as thats where you got car from(sorry if i am wrong)