Notices

94 classic wagon smell of exhaust fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 08:45 PM
dickyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 classic wagon smell of exhaust fumes?

Hi all, my 94 classic turbo wagon has started to smell quite bad of exhaust fumes when i'm stationary in traffic, it's not smoking at all and runs fine but the smell is annoying and i wondered if there was something obviously wrong or whether she just needs a good service? Thanks in advance for the replies, Rich
Old 03 August 2010, 09:45 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The most likely cause is a plain old leak in the exhaust system, but there's an awful lot of joints and therefore potential places for one of these to happen on a turbo model Impreza - LH head to manifold, manifold to front pipe, front pipe to RH manifold, manifold to RH head, manifold to up-pipe, up-pipe to turbo, turbo to ... You get the picture

Any one of those might have a bolt or two that's worked loose or a blown-out gasket, and there's obviously the possibility of a section rusting through, if you haven't switched to a stainless steel system.

Best bet is to try and narrow the source down as far as you can to roughly the front, center or rear of the car, and take it from there.
Old 03 August 2010, 10:05 PM
dickyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the reply mark, i do have a full de-cat stainless system but i will have a look at all the joints to see if i can see any signs of possible leaks, thanks Rich