Improving a '97 sti

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2010, 02:23 AM
John_Hickey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving a '97 sti

Hi guys have only just joined in case you havent seen my introduction thread

I've got myself a '97 sti with just over a week and would like to start improving it...

What do you suggest?

A touch more power would be nice to be honest, car has a 3 inch stainless exhaust from the turbo back and some sort of a free flow air filter.. Im thinking a front mounted intercooler would be a wise move and maybe a remap? Can the standard ecu be mapped? Thanks in advance..

Oh and sorry if i seem kinda dumb but im completely new to scoobys..
Old 24 July 2010, 06:34 AM
mazmike
BANNED

hi,i have got a 97 sti (jdm) standard ecu can not be remaped
Old 24 July 2010, 07:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

I would suggest a KS3 www.phormula.co.uk as one of your first modifications, nice to see what is going on under the bonnet
Your ecu isnt mappable at this precise moment, it should be very soon though with a chip available for it via esl, and you need to run the car on 97+ (higher the ron, the better) fuel.

Tony
Old 24 July 2010, 09:09 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said not mappable but this guy is having the ESL system tested

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...in-my-car.html
Old 24 July 2010, 04:26 PM
John_Hickey
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys
Im thinking the ESL wont really be viable for me as i live in ireland so any other suggestions?

Or what would you reccomend for a bit more poke....
Old 24 July 2010, 04:43 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

simtec ecu or power fc then map what you got with a fmic should see you around the 300-320 mark depending on what turbo you have on it and what nick it is in and i would be only using v power or if you like which i dont the tesco 99 as any lower grade will not be doing your car any favours, dont fit the frount mount without an ecu that can be mapped, oh and some nice disc and pads for the brakes as well want go a miss. oh and if you are going to egt a froum mount get one from harvey smith of this site he does the hybirid ones which i use and are good for the money 350.000
Old 25 July 2010, 12:04 AM
John_Hickey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by happydude303
simtec ecu or power fc then map what you got with a fmic should see you around the 300-320 mark depending on what turbo you have on it and what nick it is in and i would be only using v power or if you like which i dont the tesco 99 as any lower grade will not be doing your car any favours, dont fit the frount mount without an ecu that can be mapped, oh and some nice disc and pads for the brakes as well want go a miss. oh and if you are going to egt a froum mount get one from harvey smith of this site he does the hybirid ones which i use and are good for the money 350.000
Some great info there thanks

Been doing alot of thinking and seriously considering turning it into a track car.. Power fc sounds good, what kind of money are these making? On the fuel side of things i think if i go for a re mappable ecu that i would also get bigger injectors and run it on maxol e85....?