Notices

SPEED SIGNAL ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 08:39 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPEED SIGNAL ECU ?

Now just bought a Turbo Timer and on the of the wire needs to go to the ECU speed signal, Now were is and what colour is this wire from the ECU,

It is for a Blitz Timer as well... and the car is a 02 bugeye ppl

Old 14 July 2010, 08:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Not what you want to hear necessarily, but the best thing you can do at this point is to put the trinket back in its box and return for a refund.

They are, literally, a waste of time and money. Your engine will cool better and last longer if you don't fit a turbo timer.
Old 14 July 2010, 09:00 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

alot of ppl have said this to me now lol and beginning to think i should sell it
Old 14 July 2010, 09:23 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Not what you want to hear necessarily, but the best thing you can do at this point is to put the trinket back in its box and return for a refund.

They are, literally, a waste of time and money. Your engine will cool better and last longer if you don't fit a turbo timer.

hahahaha look at the shiney, shiney.
Old 15 July 2010, 07:34 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

so does anyone know what wire or were i can wire the speed control sensor wire to
Old 15 July 2010, 07:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEILB1
so does anyone know what wire or were i can wire the speed control sensor wire to
You were heading in the right direction in post #3. For what it's worth I know but have chosen not to tell you, because I already feel I've advised you as best I can. If someone else wants to, that's their judgment to make.

If you want to know all the detailed reasons why your engine will prefer it if you don't waste any more of your time on that thing, you'll find one in my posting history somewhere, and no doubt there are others. There are some cars where they're actually a worthwhile addition. However, the Impreza, with a water-cooled turbo, isn't one of them.
Old 16 July 2010, 01:06 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

point taken and back up for sale now lol
Old 16 July 2010, 01:13 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

awww. shame you let someone guide you away from something you wanted.

if you have a look on jolly green monsters site i believe it is he has ecu pin diagrams. that will help for your model mate. will answer your pm now as well
Old 16 July 2010, 01:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
awww. shame you let someone guide you away from something you wanted.
Eh? Someone follows sensible, well considered advice and you call this a "shame"?

How do you know what Neil "wanted" in the first place and what makes you so certain that's what's happened?

If his original impulse to fit the timer was a desire to protect his engine, following the advice here actually is giving him what he wanted, as not fitting one will do so more effectively than wiring up the shiny thing.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:16 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

i just wanted one to protect my engine really, I AM NEW TO this whole scooby world and was told to buy one so i did as this is what i thought would help the engine life...
Old 16 July 2010, 03:12 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

The best thing you can do to help prolong your engine life is use good quality products and keep up on the servicing. Just look after it!
Old 16 July 2010, 03:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r1c
The best thing you can do to help prolong your engine life is use good quality products and keep up on the servicing. Just look after it!
+1. Neil - the reason why you're better off without that thing is because the best way of cooling your engine is to drive around for a few minutes off-boost before switching off - which, in reality, most people naturally do anyway without even thinking about it. I mean, when was the last time you gave it full beans right up to your front door and then knocked it off immediately?

Any excess heat remaining from a bit of toe-down action will dissipate far more quickly with the car being driven slowly than it will parked up, idling on a timer. It'll cool far more effectively with the engine revving a bit (and thus turning the oil and water pumps more quickly) and with airflow from forward motion running through the rad and engine bay.

In reality you will often find that your engine actually warms up when it's sitting at idle. So in many cases the drivers who'll leave their car running on a timer for a number of minutes after they get out are actually achieving precisely the opposite of what they expect.
Old 16 July 2010, 05:33 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

i can see were you are coming from 100% but surely a TT will still not cause any damage, even if i did do the run of boost for a few mins and have the TT run for 30 seconds,

What harm can it do in this case apart from still help
Old 16 July 2010, 11:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEILB1
What harm can it do in this case apart from still help
The whole point of turbo timers is supposedly to cool your engine, yes?

You leave your car idling for 30 seconds, the engine will heat up (and cause extra heatsoak in the engine bay). Ergo, the timer is achieving precisely the opposite of what it is supposed to and therefore not helping at all.

In addition to not doing its core job, it's also costing you 30 seconds of fuel every time it runs, costing you around 400 revolutions of engine wear every time it runs, and, if you have a cat 1 alarm, with your car insured on that basis, is probably invalidating your policy.

As above if you want to fit the trinket with the flashing lights, it's your car so feel free to do what you want with it. However, don't kid yourself that it's helping in any way, because it isn't.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:19 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the sole purpose of TTs were to allow the cooling down the turbo's exh and comp housings, whilst the oil is still circulating through the oilways.

The theory being that after some serious full-boost shenanigans, then the housings actually get hotter than the actual oil circulating inside the oilways. So if you were to shut the turbo down immediately, the extra heat conduction from the turbo slowly 'cooks' the now stationary oil - thus, over a period of time, carbonises thus gradually blocking said oilways.... leading to potentially spectacular catastrophic results...

Last edited by joz8968; 17 July 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I thought the sole purpose of TTs were to cool down the turbo's exh and comp housings.
That's the theory, and there's some justification for it with an oil cooled turbo. However the water-cooled TD's and VFs usually use on an Impreza cool very quickly once you lift off, as the heat is drawn away efficiently by the cooling system.

As such, and as above, the best way and quickest way to cool one down is by driving off-boost - therefore keeping the water pump spinning nice and quick, guaranteeing plenty of coolant flow through the cartridge, and, as the car's in motion, plenty of air going through the rad (and through the engine bay as a whole)

If you run a turbo timer and leave the thing idling on your drive, all that'll happen is that it'll heat the whole engine up, which is precisely the opposite of what you want.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:48 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah yes, modern water-cooled turbs are very efficient at removing heat.

And yes, I totally agree with the practice of driving off-boost prior to parking up, rather than using a blessed TT.

Ironically, my recently acquired STi 5 has a TT fitted! (by the previous Jap owner).... Which I don't use, lol

Last edited by joz8968; 16 July 2010 at 11:50 PM.