Bang for Bucks

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 07:48 PM
ian_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang for Bucks

hi guys right i have just bought a 03 WRX PPP

just wondering what kinda of bang for bucks i would get, i dont wont to spent £1000s as im going to get a STI in a year or so. So i wont to keep some cash back for that but i would like a bit more get up and go from the car so say what would be the way to spend 1k on it

thanks in advance
Old 13 July 2010, 08:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Given that you have the PPP on already, and also bearing in mind your future plans, probably the best way to make your car better is to improve the brakes and suspension. If you had the standard engine setup there'd be more of an argument for upping the power.

Sure you could spend your grand under the bonnet, but on that sort of money you'll be going from 265 or so horsepower at the moment to maybe 320, and you'll have nothing left to cater for the fact that heavy newage WRXes don't stop or handle particularly well.

Will probably get better return on resale with some well chosen suspension and braking tweaks too. As it is, your PPP is a positive selling point which you will effectively lose if you modify the engine further.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:18 PM
RMII
Scooby Regular

I too am new to this and with lots of guidance from people on here have had my bugeye wrx (not sti) tweaked to around 320bhp but probably came in closer to £2k in truth.

If you want more power but plan to go for an sti soon anyway uprated fuel pump, decat up-pipe and remap should see around 260bhp if you go EcuTek you may have change for uprated front discs and pads at best, if you go opensource you may be able to stretch to decat / sports cats poss around 275bhp.

Just to add, I would agree with splitpin's comments on resale, I was only interested in buying a standard car (foolishly), if you do modify the engine or remove cats then do be sure to remap, if I saw a car for sale with all the mods I wanted but with no mention of a remap (from reputable company) I would walk away.

Last edited by RMII; 13 July 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 10:31 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

If it were me i would run it just as it is , keep your money and put it to an STI , i had an 03 wrx ppp and waisted loads of money on it, sold it and then bought an sti.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:58 PM
ian_wrx
Scooby Regular

Yep I thinks that's a plan I'm gunna set some sti wheels from a mate get some collies as they will fit the sti after and then a few little body mods

Then save for the sti