Notices

UK Turbo 2000 Wagon V2 STi engine...what heads can I use?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2010, 02:30 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UK Turbo 2000 Wagon V2 STi engine...what heads can I use?

Hi folks.

I have had a little search about on old threads to find out info about this but to no avail.

I have a 98 Turbo 2000 which is just about to have the above mentioned STI engine fitted. I am only using the bottom end and I was intending to run it with my original 98 Turbo 2000 heads and my original ecu as simply a stronger bottom end with a view to upgrading other bits in the future as funds allow with the ultimate aim being to convert it to full STI spec engine.

This is just an old kind of "rat build" project as the car owes me nothing. Having said that though...I don't have £3000 to rebuild my Turbo 2000 lump and even if I did, I would simply spend it on a whole car instead

Now what I want to know is will my heads fit...I heard from somewhere once that any EJ20 heads will fit any EJ20 block. My V2 STI block is the closed deck one you see whereas my Turbo 2000 heads are from an open deck block so have different waterways. I would've thought that this was quite critical so I was hoping someone on here would be able to answer this query.

Thanks dudes
Old 04 July 2010, 03:09 PM
Gavpo
Scooby Regular

Hi there
You should be ok as mine has v1 STI closed deck bottom end and UK heads on it and runs sweet. So i guess yours should be ok Hope this helps
Old 04 July 2010, 03:19 PM
hendrixwoman
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Nice one

Big thanks for the info

Are you just running standard UK ecu at the mo too?

I do have the Version 2 heads as well but I don't think my inlet manifold is compatible and I think there is coilpack issues too cos the V2 had the individual coilpacks instead of the central wasted coilpack that sits on top of the inlet manifold on my standard 98 UK Wagon.

I would want to fit them in the future if it would be of further benefit. Or could I just swap out my ecu for a suitable STI one and upgrade my turbo to a TD05 or VF23 and get some more horse that way?

Sorry if I sound like a total noob but I'm just trying to find the best way to approach this
Old 04 July 2010, 03:21 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hendrixwoman
Hi folks.

I have had a little search about on old threads to find out info about this but to no avail.

I have a 98 Turbo 2000 which is just about to have the above mentioned STI engine fitted. I am only using the bottom end and I was intending to run it with my original 98 Turbo 2000 heads and my original ecu as simply a stronger bottom end with a view to upgrading other bits in the future as funds allow with the ultimate aim being to convert it to full STI spec engine.

This is just an old kind of "rat build" project as the car owes me nothing. Having said that though...I don't have £3000 to rebuild my Turbo 2000 lump and even if I did, I would simply spend it on a whole car instead

Now what I want to know is will my heads fit...I heard from somewhere once that any EJ20 heads will fit any EJ20 block. My V2 STI block is the closed deck one you see whereas my Turbo 2000 heads are from an open deck block so have different waterways. I would've thought that this was quite critical so I was hoping someone on here would be able to answer this query.

Thanks dudes

you should be ok as long as you get the compression ratio correct.
Old 04 July 2010, 04:35 PM
Gavpo
Scooby Regular

V2 heads will be ok too. No i got one of those generic chips running 15ish psi boost on a jap spec ecu. If you still got your uk ecu then it should have the plug soldered in already for chip/board.ESL is defo the way to go to get most out of it along with 440cc injectors. Going any high is pushing the limits of gearbox