Car cut out at 120mph..

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2010, 05:53 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Car cut out at 120mph..

Hey guys,

Random one today. Recently fit a Roger Clarke induction kit on my newage STi. Fits well, sounds great, feels great.

Just this morning I created a cold air feed to it, and went for some testing (private roads of course) - hit over 120 on the speedo, lifted off and kicked it into neutral. and whilst idling heard my defis beep for low oil pressure twice, then cut out! Then only to find the steering suddenly go heavy, and there's no revs!

Started the car when moving again, and it started fine, pulled over into the laybay, checked all fluids, revs fine, idles fine. Fuel is low, but not fuel light low.

What the hell could have happened??

Thanks
Old 03 July 2010, 06:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the oil? (when cold?)
Is there any other modification on the car?
If you remove the rcm kit do you have the same issue?

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 03 July 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03 July 2010, 07:44 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mention of a remap after the CAI fitted. Could be your problem!
Old 03 July 2010, 08:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have fitted the RCM big maf filter it desperately needs a map after fitment or bad problems will happen

This is the one, if you have fitted this filter I hope you had your car mapped after it was done

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=1150

Last edited by stevebt; 03 July 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Hey guys,

Random one today. Recently fit a Roger Clarke induction kit on my newage STi. Fits well, sounds great, feels great.

Just this morning I created a cold air feed to it,
As above, there's no mention of the word "remap" or "maf rescale" here, nor any mention that you're running a speed density-based ECU. Does this mean you haven't bothered mentioning it or you haven't had it done? If you haven't, the fact that you say it "feels great" implicitly suggests that your car feels quicker with it, yes? If so, the induction kit has clearly altered the airflow vs voltage curve and will have knocked the on-load mixtures out. Recipe for a blown engine if you're unlucky.

What the hell could have happened??
Clearly something caused the engine to cut, but without logging it when the problem occurred there is no way any of us can tell you. Could be an electrical issue, could be something related to a sensor input. Given what you've said so far the obvious causal path would be something related to the airflow meter.

If you haven't had this checked by someone who knows what they're doing, since you changed the induction tract, this is probably the perfect time to do so.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:38 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to Splitpin's comments, lifting off and kicking in to neutral at 120mph can't be good for the engine there would be loads of heat built-up to disapate with 'tickover' oil presssure.

Assuming you have the RCM induction kit with MAF and that you had a remap, the fact you added a cold air feed probably confused the MAF as there could be more way more air blowing on the MAF at 120mph than the ECU would be expecting in neutral and 0 engine load. The map probably can't cope with this strange screnario and so the engine stalled IMO.

Anders
Old 03 July 2010, 10:50 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It was mapped prior to the cold air feed, so maybe it's that then, along with the ECU not knowing what to do as you say with so much air in neutral at 120...

I'll get it checked out. Didn't realise that induction kit was one of those that required MAF rescaling, hopefully it was done with the mapping!