Notices

new DV

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2010, 05:51 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new DV

just brought a HKS super ssqv. its going to replace my blitz one i currently have on the car.

the only problem is i cant fit the HKS onto the top mount. does anyone have any ideas of how i can fit it?

cheers
Adam
Old 03 July 2010, 06:09 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

anyone??
Old 03 July 2010, 06:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Bumping a thread after half an hour isn't really playing the game.

And, given that you've given us precisely no relevant information, it's hardly surprising nobody as yet seems to have had any ideas. The principal omission is no mention of the type or model year of car (and therefore which top mount) you're trying to fit it to.
Old 03 July 2010, 06:27 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

sorry newbie.

its a 1999 v reg. i don't really know that much about them tbh. never been that good with explaining things.

but i have been told i may need a flange or extension pipe to help me.
Old 03 July 2010, 07:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There are earlier topmounts, on which a pipe leads to the d/v, and later ones, on which the d/v bolted straight to the i/c.
My feeling is that with a 99 car, you ought to have the latter?
Do you have a d/v for an earlier car? There IS a way to fit it, but it's expensive..........
Better to change the d/v......or better still, go back to a recirculating type: it's what the car was designed with
Old 03 July 2010, 08:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blitz Boy
sorry newbie.

its a 1999 v reg. i don't really know that much about them tbh. never been that good with explaining things.

but i have been told i may need a flange or extension pipe to help me.
You will no doubt need a flange, or possibly remote mount pipe, given the proximity to the coilpack. However, if you're new the thing to probably point out at this point is that if your car's running a standard ECU, your engine will run better with a standard Subaru recirculating dumpvalve than it will with any of that aftermarket tat. Your best option right now might be to return the HKS valve for a refund and buy a standard DV from eBay for a few quid. No fitting problems then.

Last edited by Splitpin; 03 July 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:46 AM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

ok thats cool. i just love the sound of the HKS dv. i will be changeing the ecu once ive got some more money. so instead if returning the dv ill keep it till i got the new ecu. or change the top mount for a front mount.
Old 04 July 2010, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

ok thats cool. i just love the sound of the HKS dv. i will be changeing the ecu once ive got some more money. so instead if returning the dv ill keep it till i got the new ecu. or change the top mount for a front mount.
And what effect do you expect either of those to have?
Old 04 July 2010, 05:26 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

better throttle response, bit more power, (after the re-map that is)

i had a look at fitting it today but no joy.
need a little flange bit that will fit onto the top mount.

any ideas of where you can buy them?
Old 04 July 2010, 05:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

better throttle response, bit more power, (after the re-map that is)
An aftermarket dump valve won't give you either more power or better throttle response. If it's the sound of the HKS dumpvalve you love, why don't you record the noise to a CD and play it on your car stereo?
Old 04 July 2010, 05:38 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

hmmm... no. i no that wont give me more power. but the new ecu and front mount with re-map should.
Old 04 July 2010, 05:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

hmmm... no. i no that wont give me more power. but the new ecu and front mount with re-map should.
You don't need a new ECU on a 99MY car, you can remap the standard one. And a front mount intercooler on the TD04 turbo is a slightly backward idea, it will cost you significant amounts of throttle response for little if any worthwhile gain.

Are you considering the FMIC a performance boost, or just a method of allowing you to fit your chosen dumpvalve?
Old 04 July 2010, 05:50 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

performance. I want to get the car to about 350bhp over all.

but being a new scooby owner i need all the help i can get. sorry if i don't explain things properly.
Old 04 July 2010, 05:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As above FMIC will not typically be a performance boost as long as you have the standard 99MY turbo. Will likely cost you more performance in increased induction tract volume than you could stand to gain from reduced charge temperatures.

If you want to go to 350 then you will need to change the turbo, injectors, fuel pump, possibly pressure regulator/fuel rail, intercooler (whether for front or better top mount), probably clutch, remap, and would probably also be stretching the reliability of the standard transmission.

Overall budget to get to that sort of power likely to be north of £1500, although there are ways to do it cheaper.
Old 04 July 2010, 06:02 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

thats not too bad of a price. thought it may be more.....

is it worth getting the PPP or not? i have considered it but want more info on it first.
Old 04 July 2010, 06:06 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

Splitpin, are you saying a dv can be mapped in? For example, if you had a remap with a dv, then you go back to standard recirc, would it need adjusting again ?
Old 04 July 2010, 06:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

thats not too bad of a price. thought it may be more.....

is it worth getting the PPP or not? i have considered it but want more info on it first.
It easily can be more, as above, £1500 is probably about the bare minimum unless you luck into some cheap bits. As for the PPP, depends what you want to do, doesn't it? It will give you an immediate power boost on your current engine configuration to around 240-250bhp with a (comparatively bigger) increase in torque and drivability, but if you are determined to have 350, then it's clearly still some way short.

Originally Posted by Sabas
Splitpin, are you saying a dv can be mapped in? For example, if you had a remap with a dv, then you go back to standard recirc, would it need adjusting again ?
I didn't say that, no. What I did indirectly say is that you will get better, more consistent engine performance running a recirculating dumpvalve as long as you are running a Subaru MAF-based ECU.

However, to answer your question, theoretically, yes if a car was mapped with a VTA DV it'd be possible to tune the higher rpm/low load cells of the fuel map to mitigate some of the effect of VTA-induced measurement errors, but you'd have to ask some of the other tuners how effectively that can be done as I've never tried it. And yes, if such changes were made, and a recirc DV was swapped back in, you might get the odd error in the other direction.

However, as above my own preference would be to not have the measurement error in the first place rather than try to tune around it.

Last edited by Splitpin; 04 July 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04 July 2010, 06:34 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

where can you get the PPP from? and don't it cost about £300-400?
Old 04 July 2010, 06:40 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

Interesting, are you a Subaru mechanic/ technician or are you just a Subaru guru?

are after Market recirc dv different to standard ones?
Old 04 July 2010, 07:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sabas
Interesting, are you a Subaru mechanic/ technician or are you just a Subaru guru?

are after Market recirc dv different to standard ones?

He won't say, but he DOES know his stuff
Old 04 July 2010, 07:24 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

It's impressive, he is one of the few people who I actually take notice if, and read his other replies with great interest
Old 04 July 2010, 07:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Joz8968, harvey, Dynamix...........oh, there are a few on here.

Unfortunately though, like all BBS sites, there will ALWAYS be those with 6 posts who come on and say, "Yes mate, go for a VTA dumpvalve, those who tell you not to are just old fogeys who want to keep the cars standard, it never did my RS Turbo any damage, etc etc"

Well yes, some of us ARE older than others, but my classic will be running 400/400 once it's run in and has it's final map And that's just ONE car. Dunx is no spring chicken and runs 380 in a bugeye. Harvey Smith's cars are legendary, as is the guy himself.
Old 05 July 2010, 12:26 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blitz boy, have to agree with whats been said already,especially as you have a blitz,which is one of the better made bov's,and from what you've wrote it would seem to be working ok,you just want to change to the sound of the hks.Have you tried your blitz bov with the filter on instead of the trumpet,as this makes more of a flutter than a full blown 'whooooosh' . Personally would stick with what you have if the car is running ok ,or put std one back on if you incur running/idling problems .If you still after a fitting kit for your HKS,then it wont bolt direct to the intercooler you will need one of these below:

http://www.grahamgoode.com/subaru/pa...60&item=GGS914

Last edited by midnight; 05 July 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05 July 2010, 02:32 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

where can you get the PPP from? and don't it cost about £300-400?
you're joking right. subaru will charge you £1700 for the pleasure my frirnd. a remap and a shiney exhaust can be had for a lot cheaper elsewhere. PPP will also only bring the car to 265ps for a uk turbo 2000
Old 05 July 2010, 07:18 AM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

cheers midnight for that link. i have not tried it with the filter as dont have and unsure of what it is or where to get one. the dv i have now came on the car and i dont have the standard one. ive always wanted the HKS one too. also i know someone that really wants my blitz one.

also with the PPP what do they actually do to the car and where can i get one done? somewhere highly recommended and not too expensive, well fairly priced.
Old 05 July 2010, 08:57 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

cheers midnight for that link. i have not tried it with the filter as dont have and unsure of what it is or where to get one. the dv i have now came on the car and i dont have the standard one. ive always wanted the HKS one too. also i know someone that really wants my blitz one.

also with the PPP what do they actually do to the car and where can i get one done? somewhere highly recommended and not too expensive, well fairly priced.
only Subaru do PPP as an option on cars. Its about £1700 and for that you get a new fuel pump, a new exhaust and a remap. an independent mapper will do that all a helluva lot cheaper than £1700. my advice, do the fuel pump and exhaust yourself and get one of the travelling mappers on here to do a remap for you. you will see much better gains with an independent mapper that with the generic PPP map.
Old 06 July 2010, 03:41 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

As said above ppp for your MY car consists of a different ecu , a prodrive Y pipe and a better flowing exhaust. I had all of these on my current impreza which I brought in April . The car was running 243 bhp , I sold the ecu & y pipe to a guy in Czech republic(£350), and exhaust to a guy in the uk. I then fitted a vf28 and a few other subtle mods and had it remapped, car now 322 bhp all for less than £1000,so £1700 for ppp to gain 25 - 30 bhp is a no brainer IMHO
Old 06 July 2010, 06:34 PM
Blitz Boy
Scooby Regular

fair enuf. i want to make it bit quicker. after going out in my m8's RB5 that was it lol. but then again ive wanted one since i was 16 and have always said this is the car i will do stuff too but properly. wat sort of turbo is the best to buy too?? and would it be better to buy all the bits, have them fitted then have it re-mapped or get it re-mapped after i done a few things to it. so i'd prob end up having it mapped like 2-3 times or somehting....
Old 06 July 2010, 08:23 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

while you have a car that is running ok ,i would buy all the bits you can,and consider booking your car in for a remap 4 weeks in advance as most good mappers tend to be busy.Two to - 3 days before your remap get all your parts fitted and if you must drive the car then preferably off boost. Drive to your mapper,job done.

Regarding which turbo to go for ,if you type in 'which turbo' in the search bar i imagine there must be 100's of threads ,which will give you all of the information you will need regarding specs ,applications,spool up speed,etc. Being as you have a td04 on your car a very popular upgrade is a vf35,which gives much better mid range& top end over your std turbo.

Last edited by midnight; 06 July 2010 at 08:25 PM.