Notices

decat downpipe worthwhile in long run?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2010, 10:21 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decat downpipe worthwhile in long run?

ok people, just after your views please. 06 sti hawk, due a remap but for the extra bhp+ spool is it worth paying the extra? i already have 2nd decat + centre section fitted but dont really want to go ott with tuning ( famous last words) want to stay under 400/400 and i think full decat may get me near to this , but my Q is, how much less would i expect with a straight remap on top of ppp btw, (walbro) last rr session was 329/375 which by everyones reaction was very high for standard ppp, but, people that new their figures confirmed the rr was not mis reading., so happy, but wanting a little more
Old 02 July 2010, 10:47 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate
I think if you know or can find a friendly mot man then your answer is yes. The short one piece de cat section for the hawk is not a lot of money and it will help the engine breath more easily and flow. You will get a great sound from the turbo and it will deepen the sound out the back I went for the Hayward and Scott one which was very good quality but most seem good ie cobra,miltec etc. Its worth wrapping it as well only takes 10 minutes and mines still going strong 18 months down the line. Its not all about the figures on the rr just get the car mapped to your liking of which feels the best for you
Old 02 July 2010, 11:13 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

cheers my southern friend. lol. been a while. mot no probs, i just wondered wether the extra ooomph was worth the cost. decat pipe and centre section is cobra and kept prodrive backbox as i want it to look standard ppp if you know what i mean. so h+s downpipe decat then? yes? what sort of ballpark figure you reckon mate? will go for the wrap. btw , on our model is there a up-pipe that needs de-catting? i dont think so myself but someone asked me today and i did not know? thanks again........... getting the best of the weather down your end now i see!!, dont suppose you are going to crossroads garage this weekend are you bud?
Old 02 July 2010, 11:16 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

There is no cat on the up pipe on the hawkeyes
Old 02 July 2010, 11:29 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1929
There is no cat on the up pipe on the hawkeyes
thanks bud.
Old 03 July 2010, 08:54 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
cheers my southern friend. lol. been a while. mot no probs, i just wondered wether the extra ooomph was worth the cost. decat pipe and centre section is cobra and kept prodrive backbox as i want it to look standard ppp if you know what i mean. so h+s downpipe decat then? yes? what sort of ballpark figure you reckon mate? will go for the wrap. btw , on our model is there a up-pipe that needs de-catting? i dont think so myself but someone asked me today and i did not know? thanks again........... getting the best of the weather down your end now i see!!, dont suppose you are going to crossroads garage this weekend are you bud?
crossroads garage not heard of it, wheres that ????
As already said no cats in our up pipe.
I just looked on Hayward & Scott site and there £199 but you could call them for a discount or look in the group buy there's normally something going on with them. Your probably better sicking with cobra tho as there normally cheaper I think they do a section which replaces both cats for £135, then you could sell your 2nd cat pipe to help funds.
Yeah weather is great just finished waxing tho Scoop with the football on the radio and plenty of beer Happy days.
Old 03 July 2010, 09:02 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention the power, with mine I went for a safe map so stopped with 333 bhp with 360 of torque which was very smooth, more could have been achieved but I was happy with that I run 1.4 bar of boost but I believe this can be increased to 1.6 bar to achieve somewhere near 360 bhp. Personally I wouldn't go over 360 bhp as I do a few miles in the car but if it was just a weekend car then yes I would have had every last horse out of the engine.