New owner needs help please

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2010, 02:17 PM
rev4turbomonster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner needs help please

Hi guys

only got the car wednesday and got a couple of small issues that I need to sort before I can make her my own. The car is a 98 s uk turbo 2000

I think I have a small coolant leak that needs sorting seems to be on the drivers side of the rad can't see where it is coming from is there a common place?

and the other one which I am more concerned about is at motorway speeds if you bury the accelerator the car picks up but then jerks around almost like you are flicking the ignition on and off if you lift off ever so slightly it seems to cure it. Is this a common fault and what do I need to do to fix it.

Finally is there anyone in the midlands who would give up an afternoon to have a look over the car and check it out for me I am new to these beasts having owned toyota mr2 turbos for the last 6 years.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 26 June 2010, 02:28 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rev4turbomonster
Hi guys

only got the car wednesday and got a couple of small issues that I need to sort before I can make her my own. The car is a 98 s uk turbo 2000

I think I have a small coolant leak that needs sorting seems to be on the drivers side of the rad can't see where it is coming from is there a common place?

and the other one which I am more concerned about is at motorway speeds if you bury the accelerator the car picks up but then jerks around almost like you are flicking the ignition on and off if you lift off ever so slightly it seems to cure it. Is this a common fault and what do I need to do to fix it.

Finally is there anyone in the midlands who would give up an afternoon to have a look over the car and check it out for me I am new to these beasts having owned toyota mr2 turbos for the last 6 years.

Thanks in advance

Matt
the top hose on the driverside of th rad are nown to go and you could have a dodgy boost solinoide try giving it a cleen went through 2 on my old classic
Old 26 June 2010, 02:43 PM
rev4turbomonster
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help I wondered about it being a small leak on the hose it definately isn't chucking loads out just little drips every now and then. Also this boost solenoid sounds promising could it be that it is bleeding to much boost off? the car has a baileys dump valve and I think that may be leaking boost but isn't the issue. How do I go about cleaning the boost solenoid.
Old 26 June 2010, 03:50 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Baileys dump valve= ****e. remove it ant put the standard recirc valve back on unless your one of the millions who love the noise. These have been known to cause problems similar to yours.
Old 26 June 2010, 04:34 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

ive got the same car, a 98uk t. i had a leak that i couldnt find but could hear water hissing and could see steam but didnt know where it was dripping from. it turned out to be a crack in the side of the radiator... although subaru told me id need a new water pump and seals and it would cost $500 to fix... but it eventually split open and i could see water p*ssing out the side of it. new radiator cost £130. never been to subaru since!
Old 26 June 2010, 04:57 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Radiator leak on top drivers side I bet, where endtanks meet the fin part. Plastic ends and ally tubes and fins ... not a good mix.

When full of water and cold, squeeze the top hose hard and see / listen if / where it leaks out. Moter factor rad around £150.

Mass air flow meter - MAF - the black tube with the wire plug on top on drivers side from air box - if failing dirty may be misreading the air and causing jerking?

Do you have a boost gauge, ift he jerk stop start id vicious you may be hitting boost cut at around 17 psi ...

Jerk issue - when did it have plugs changed? Has it ever had new coil packs - may be 1 central coil pack with 4 plug leads, or a coil on each plug - the individual ones go over time so if it has those, may be those are on way out.
Old 26 June 2010, 08:40 PM
rev4turbomonster
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the heads up on what to check the mrs has driven back from Warrington to Coventry and has said it is getting worse who should I take it to to get it checked out and sort it