Notices

changing turbo and fitting boost controller without remap????

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2010, 10:14 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing turbo and fitting boost controller without remap????

hi i have an my99 uk turbo with a few mods (decat ik etc) ive bought a vf 35 and need to fit as my td04 is ****ed but i dont have the money for a remap just yet but a friend of mine has a greddy profec b spec 2 i can use for now
now my question is would it be safe to change the turbo, fit the profec b and maybe set the profec b up to use until i get the money for a remap any help would be greatly appreciated cheers
Old 21 June 2010, 10:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4YLOR 83
now my question is would it be safe to change the turbo, fit the profec b and maybe set the profec b up to use
There's no way any of us can answer that question. The short answer, unless you want to run the risk of a pinged piston or something, is no.

The long answer is that if you are monitoring AFR and knock, you should be able to set it to run safely. If you aren't, you will have no idea at all what's safe and what isn't.

If you absolutely must get rid of the current turbo right now, one option would be buying yourself a cheap TD04 from wherever and running that til you are ready for your remap and the VF35.

If you must fit the VF now, the safest way to run the car would be with a pipe directly connecting the the compressor outlet and wastegate, and driving off boost as far as reasonably possible.

Although, all that said, if by "ik" you mean induction kit, you are already risking your engine's health (and running an unnecessary, counterproductive mod). Best thing you could do with that is remove and replace with standard induction tract, airbox and panel filter.

Last edited by Splitpin; 21 June 2010 at 10:46 PM.