Notices

Unsolvable, recurring brake juddering problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2010, 04:24 PM
JamesMWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolvable, recurring brake juddering problems

I tried a thread in the Wheels, Brakes etc section but didn't get any responses.
I have found a few threads on this but never one where anyone seems to have found a solution to the problem.

I have a 2002 Bugeye WRX which is driving me up the wall. Every set of brake discs I put on it, end up with the front drivers side warping. I am ready for shoving the thing off a cliff.

Without fail, after about 1000 miles of the new discs going on, you get a judder through the steering under braking which just gets progressively worse.

To date, I have done the following and every time, the problem comes back:

Changed the discs and pads (four times), changed the callipers with a set of Brembos, new hoses, fluid etc. Have ensured the hub was scrubbed as much a possible. Had the discs machined on the car, judder wouldn’t go away. Have now put a hub and bearing on it, new tyres, had the wheels rebalanced, swapped the wheels around and had the geometry done. Just done a little over 1000 miles since then and back the problem comes again.

No one can find anything wrong with the car. I am not heavy on the brakes and the car is on standard power. They get run in properly. I have tried a few hard stops to see if that clears any deposits off the discs but makes no difference.

I rattled that side of the car off a kerb about 18 months ago, and have had the problems ever since, so I know there is something damaged, just have no idea what, and how it could cause the one disc to continue warping.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Other than changing the everything on the entire front corner, I am out of ideas, and my wallet out of cash.

Old 16 June 2010, 05:08 PM
RS74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the car pull to one side when braking hard?
are your caliper slides free and greased?
are your pads free and greased in the caliper bracket?
when brakes hot and car jacked up get someone to press hard on brake pedal then release ,is the wheel free or binding?

what you've mentioned with the things you've already tried i'm a bit stumped but sounds like you've got a sticking caliper and it's over heating the disc causing it to warp, i know you said you've changed the calipers ,but were they second hand and are you sure the one you've replaced it with is'nt faulty...
i'm just stabbing in the dark here mate , hope you solve it