Notices

ECU replacment

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2010, 11:01 PM
nosjunkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU replacment

guys can anyone confirm to me if when changing the ecu on a 99/00 uk car you have to have keys coded of can this just be swapped out
i have had a few people on my wanted post telling me you can just swap which sounds great
but ... i had the ecu changed not long ago due to a fault of which i have now found after its toasted another ecu

i was told at the time that the people who changed it had to get codes for my keys from subaru direct

the people who changed my ecu are very well known and very well respected for this reason i will not name names as they did fix my car at the time
but now i have the same issue again and wish to just buy a like for like ecu plug it in and it work

if anyone can confirm this. that would be great cant afford to waste any more money right now

many thanks

ps i have a Y7 ecu in my car if it helps
Old 15 June 2010, 11:14 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

for the MY99 & 00 cars you can just swap ECU's

no messing about, simply swap them over, I did when I fitted my Prodrive ECU
Old 15 June 2010, 11:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You do not need to have the immobiliser re-synchronised on a 99/00 when changing the ECU.

The security coding is contained within the immobiliser unit under the steering column so you can change the ECU as often as you like.

However it's possible (albeit a bit unlikely) that whatever fault you had that destroyed the ECU could have resulted in the immobiliser losing its memory (and therefore synchronisation with the keys). That said though, the normal process for reprogramming the immobiliser doesn't involve a phone call to Subaru, you just stick each key you want to authorise into the ignition in turn, and press OK on the Select Monitor when you're done.

Now, all that said, reading your post it sounds like you have "toasted" at least two separate ECUs. If this is the case, it sounds like there's a pretty serious underlying problem elsewhere in your car's electrical system that needs to be isolated and fixed, if you haven't already done so. These things are usually really difficult to break - so whatever's doing so on your car must be pretty serious.
Old 15 June 2010, 11:23 PM
nosjunkie
Scooby Regular

found water leaking into the ecu so yep pretty serious
now sealed up so hopefully the end of that saga
i have had a very compitent guy check the car over recently and no faults were stored on the ecu and all sensors checked no fault found so hoping now replace ecu and smile for once

i have had a lot of issues so far in my short subaru ownership that i have had to work threw
must have bought a lemon

but now after replacing "everything" on the car shes turning out nice i hope this is the final piece and i can start enjoying it