Notices

fitting a ej20 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2010, 06:00 PM
tomtit88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting a ej20 engine

as abouve i have a 1993 wrx i want to put a new engine in and what to know is it easy to do or hard i know how to work around cars ive fitted 350 bhp turbos into novas and corsa so i have a rough
Old 10 June 2010, 06:20 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Just done the same thing having only worked on Vauxhall V6`s lol.

Any help you want just ask as it`s fresh in my mind lol.

Vauxhalls are easy in comparison, but once you know what to do and how its not so bad.

Last edited by Jimbob; 10 June 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10 June 2010, 06:31 PM
Stig67
Scooby Regular

ye its pretty straight forward ,,just label stuff ,,the bit you need to know is pull the pin for the clutch fork ,,,screw the cap off with a alan key then screw a 10 mm bolt in to the pin and pull it out ,,you will see the cap as you look at the passenger side of gear box near the folk when you remove the top mount intercooler ,,if you dont remove the pin engine won,t come away from the box ,,if you get stuck just come back and some one will be here to help ,, and to put the engine back in ,,,put the folk and pin back with thrust bearing into gearbox 1st
Old 11 June 2010, 09:20 AM
tomtit88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYDOO3105
ye its pretty straight forward ,,just label stuff ,,the bit you need to know is pull the pin for the clutch fork ,,,screw the cap off with a alan key then screw a 10 mm bolt in to the pin and pull it out ,,you will see the cap as you look at the passenger side of gear box near the folk when you remove the top mount intercooler ,,if you dont remove the pin engine won,t come away from the box ,,if you get stuck just come back and some one will be here to help ,, and to put the engine back in ,,,put the folk and pin back with thrust bearing into gearbox 1st
Hi mate thanks for the info will ask for help that great
Old 11 June 2010, 09:23 AM
tomtit88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob WRX
Just done the same thing having only worked on Vauxhall V6`s lol.

Any help you want just ask as it`s fresh in my mind lol.

Vauxhalls are easy in comparison, but once you know what to do and how its not so bad.
Hey mate that be great plus I see u only live done the rd I'm from port talbot
Old 11 June 2010, 04:22 PM
bulbsubaru
Scooby Regular

hi mate im in the middle of putting my engine back in my 96 sti so i know how your feeling. unless you have a photographic memory you need to lable every pipe and wire lol. im in port talbot if you need any help?
Old 11 June 2010, 04:38 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

I'd say an engine swap on an ej20 is easier than putting a LET in a Nova. Just take pics from lots of angles if it's your first time. Beware when swapping engines from different years (in fact sometimes from the same year!) that some of the plumbing is different - best stripping every pipe off the donor and putting ALL yours on it imho.
Old 11 June 2010, 04:49 PM
tomtit88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bulbsubaru
hi mate im in the middle of putting my engine back in my 96 sti so i know how your feeling. unless you have a photographic memory you need to lable every pipe and wire lol. im in port talbot if you need any help?
i have labled all the pipes and wires but im doing it now but the gear box what are the stages of taken it off and are there only 2 mounts
Old 11 June 2010, 05:15 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Undo the two mounts and all the bolts around the gearbox, two on studs at the bottom, then the starter nuts, then the turbo nuts and there are a few others.

Remove the gearbox torque rod. Black plastic thing dead centre of rear of engine bay.

I then removed the clutch pivot arm.
Remove this bung.

When removed it`ll look like this.

Inside you`ll see this, which you need to put either a M6 bolt approx 40mm + into it.

Then lever out the 10/8mm bolt and it will pull this out (I used a disk cutter key to lever it out).

Lift the fork right up and she will clear the thrust bearing.

Then lift the engine using the crane to get the mounts free, then crack the box from the engine (I used a large thin tipped flathead screwdriver).
This will free the engine.

Then your free to lift out.

If your having issues then I`d suggest putting a trolley jack under the box and then lowering the engine slightly as the studs can catch, esp if they not been removed for a long while.

Hope this helps, as said I`ve just done it and spent a week or two asking around and in the end jumped in and did it lol.

Last edited by Jimbob; 11 June 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11 June 2010, 08:12 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

hardest part iv always found in the impreza engines iv done are old rusty turbo bolts. nightmare, especially the one underneath when bell mouth downpipe fitted. grrrrrr, just done one 2 hrs ago. drivehsaft off, steering nuckle out, grinder out