Notices

Should I replace VF23 with VF28 on STI???

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2002, 10:05 PM
Greg555USA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the deal. I have a front cut of 97 STI that I imported from Japan. I also have a "spare" engine from 99 STI.
I will be building a rally car from that 97 and I have all the parts from it. The 97 STI is complete and I just started it yesterday and it sounds very mean. Maybe because there is no exhaust and I am very excited but that's another story.

Here's the question. Should I swap the turbos? The 99 engine has a VF28 and it's very low mileage and 97 has a VF23. I guess I could swap injectors too. But the question is that if it is gonna be beneficial, or I might loose power because car is tuned from STI to this turbo and injectors.

I remember reading like 3 years ago about some company in UK trying to tune 22B and actually loosing power.

Anyone?

Thanks

Greg
Old 30 March 2002, 12:38 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

The VF28 is a little smaller than the VF23, but is probably better suited to rallying. The VF23 will produce more power, but further up the rpm range.

The injectors aren't interchangable between '97, and '99 rails, but both are rated at 440cc's anyway.

A lot will depend on what EM you're planning on using.

I suspect the 22b you are refering to, is Richard Squires ? I know his car, who mapped it, and which dyno it was run on. I think it would be fair to say, that the figures he got, were not representative. The dyno concerned has a strange reputation for giving very low figures to cars mapped with the Link ecu, that aren't replicated on other dyno's.

Mark.