Notices

Just replaced head gasket, still getting bubbles in header tank

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2010, 02:20 PM
rossmc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced head gasket, still getting bubbles in header tank

I've just replaced the head gaskets on my 1995 WRX as I was having over heating problems.

Thing is, I'm still getting bubbling in the header tank, is this a bad sign? I never took any short cuts replacing the HG's, used the tripple layer steel STI gaskets and got the heads skimmed. The heads only had 3 thou taken off.

The car isn't over heating on idle, but I've not tried it on boost yet, because I'm having boost problems, i.e. the turbo isn't creating any, so I'm needing to find the leak lol

How worried should I be?

My brand new clutch is also making a burning smell, I'm hoping this is just it bedding in, but I had the flywheel skimmed, so I didn't think it would need to bed in?

Any advice/info would be great?
Old 30 May 2010, 02:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Could be an air lock moving its way round the system.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:08 PM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

Did my headgaskets about a month ago and was the same, some bubbles. But after a drive and topping up the header tank to the top it`s been fine since.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:37 PM
john5f
Scooby Regular

I think the possibilities are:

1) Air lock
2) Thermostat not opening correctly
3) Pressure cap faulty
4) Air getting into system (split in hose or rad or bad connection)
5) Block face warped

Last edited by john5f; 30 May 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:48 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes it is relatively normal to get bubbles in the header tank, as the coolant outlet from the turbo exits into the header tank, and the turbo will boil the coolant that goes through it if your looking in the header tank with the cap off (due to no pressure in the system). Of course this assumes that what you're referring to the header tank is the actual header tank and not the overflow tank that's by the battery.

If you're looking at the overflow tank, then you shouldn't really be seeing many bubbles in there unless the coolant system was brimmed and you're getting some normal expansion and overflow (which is why the overflow tank is there). In which case check the cap on the header tank (the header tank is the one that's attached to the inlet manifold).

If you're head gaskets failed completely on the engine before, then it may have damaged the surfaces of the block, which means you need to get the block as well as the heads skimmed.

It would also be prudent to replace the radiator, or at least have the existing one checked for blockages as that is a frequent cause of head gasket issues on older cars.
Old 30 May 2010, 05:04 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had bubbles in the overflow tank by the battery since i got my car 18 months ago.
ive seen others with the same. i think its normal. as above the turbo boils the fluid and its the bubbles working there way out of the system. touch wood ive never had any overheating problems.