Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2010, 09:59 PM
BigEnds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

Hi guys
im after a little advise from some engine builders. im in the process of removing my engine to carry out repairs to it. it has a damaged piston. im hoping to find no damage to the bores. Does anyone know if the cosworth piston rings fit standard pistons? also while the engine is out im tempted to modify it a bit, are cosworth/bigger valves available for it and does porting give much benefit? Also planning sti injectors and possibly parallel fuel rails?
Any hints / tips / advise greatly appreciated!
Best regards, Robbie

MY2004 - WRX - 2.0 NON STI
Old 25 May 2010, 10:23 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by BigEnds
Hi guys
im after a little advise from some engine builders. im in the process of removing my engine to carry out repairs to it. it has a damaged piston. im hoping to find no damage to the bores. Does anyone know if the cosworth piston rings fit standard pistons? also while the engine is out im tempted to modify it a bit, are cosworth/bigger valves available for it and does porting give much benefit? Also planning sti injectors and possibly parallel fuel rails?
Any hints / tips / advise greatly appreciated!
Best regards, Robbie

MY2004 - WRX - 2.0 NON STI
Hi Robbie

These engines need careful building and use closer tolerances than some other performance engines. The trick is to carefully measure everything and do what has to be done, rather than start out with the intentions of "getting away" with something.
Any kind of detonation damage normally takes the bore with it, and you'd have to at least go to the next oversize. They grade up in .5 and plus 1mm sizes. Don't bother with head/valve mods unless you are heading off over 500 bhp, you don't need them.
If you're going to change injectors, you'll need to be able to have it remapped, either with an aftermarket ECU or Ecutek etc.
I'd say if you aren't absolutely confident, you'd be wise to entrust at least part of the build to someone else.
Naturally, I'd put my business forward, but I'm certainly not the only one who would do a good job for you. Put it this way, I'd rather you use another business than C**k it up yourself!

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 25 May 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:47 PM
BigEnds
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan,
Many thanks for your reply. Once i get the engine out and stripped down i shall be in touch with you on prices for parts etc. Also if there is bore damage prices for machining etc. I have used a bore camera and there doesnt seem to be any damage to the bore ( i know hard to see through the small lens) but the piston is badly pitted, so until it it stripped down its i wont know the extent of damage. Also, are the cosworth piston rings suited to standard pistons? Sadly with 2 young kids a 2.1 stroker is out of the question so just wish to build a reasonably powerfull, driveable and strong motor.
Regards, Robbie