Notices

Identifying worn idlers

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2010, 07:43 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying worn idlers

3rd or 4th post today for various things with my timing belt change and service, its only the 3rd timing belt ive done and dont want to mess it up!

Ive got the belt off and been playing with the idlers, rolling them, trying to rock the bearing part but ive got no real idea how noisy or how much play is normal.

The small idler seems a bit noisey and has picked up a lot of rubber off the belt, could that be a sign that its heating up? Or is it because its smaller so gets more roatations than the others?

The 2 similar (or identical) ones seem ok, a little bit of a click when rocking them by hand when fitted to the car but when in my hand they were ok.

The toothed one is similar, a little bit noisy and tiny amount of play when on car but no play when off it.

I guess i'm trying to find out if its ok for them to have a small amount of play and for them to make a little bit of noise or is it a matter of solid and silent or replace.

Thanks
Old 25 May 2010, 07:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spinning them will tell you if they need replacing .... if you can do your own CamBelt change (easy though it is) then you 'just know' when an idler is 'right'.

Go with your instincts .... certainly I would not replace unless rumbling or siezed ....