Notices

Classic misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2010, 10:34 PM
john5f
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic misfiring

I have a MY95 JDM wrx wagon with TD05, full 3" decat turbo back, wrapped ported headers, Green panel filter and Major Sarcasm upgrade chip for these mods.

A couple of days ago I removed the fuel pump from the tank to check what kind it is but did not take it apart, just snipped the cable ties holding it in place and put new cable ties on. It had obviously been replaced but there were no markings on it to indicate whether it was an upgraded one or not, (although I suspect it is). I then put it back together.

Since then the car has been missing, spluttering and backfiring under boost. Is it likely that I have disturbed something that caused the problem or just a coincidence and coil packs or MAF are faulty. Or any other possibilities?

Advice much appreciated.

Last edited by john5f; 23 May 2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 24 May 2010, 09:38 AM
john5f
Scooby Regular

Also, checked for error codes - none showing

Anyone please?
Old 24 May 2010, 12:46 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Have you re-checked the pump site to make sure that all is connected properly? any hose leakeage??
I'd look there first then look at your coils etc - eliminate one bit at a time.
Old 24 May 2010, 01:31 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently, the electrical wires under the rear seat can wear/break/short over time - did you disturb these?
Old 24 May 2010, 03:15 PM
john5f
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just had the pump out again.
Connections seem OK and the pump whines when ignition is switched on as normal happens.
The rubber seal between the pump and tank did not have all 3 rubber locators through holes so now re-fitted the pump with these in place. It may not have been sealing fully so I am going out to test it now and will report what happens. If this doesn't make any difference I will check voltage at the connections.
Just an observation, other posts have said to listen for ticking when turning the engine on but mine whines. Does this mean that an uprated pump has been fitted? There are no markings on the pump that I can see.
Old 24 May 2010, 03:20 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Im Guessing that its aftermarket as you said it was held in with cable ties - when I changed mine over the original was a much larger unit and clipped in. the 255lph pump was smaller and its advised cable ties are used just in case...
The one I have groans when priming.

Good collection of vocal similies adding up here - hahahahaha!
Old 24 May 2010, 05:41 PM
john5f
Scooby Regular

Well, I warmed it up and gave it a couple of boosts and it seemed to be OK. I will go out later when less traffic is about and try again.

I forgot to mention that when I put it back together I also put a squirt of Redex in the pipe to give the injectors a bit of a clean.

I didn't think that the fuel tank not being fully sealed could cause this problem. How could that be as the fuel is lifted by the pump and forced through the pipes?

Thanks again