Notices

srx turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2010, 12:06 PM
e12 jrm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srx turbo upgrade

Hello everyone... I just registered.... I recently bought my first subaru... its called a srx which is basically an EJ20 without a turbo. Its a factory tuned version over the sport GL. Its an import as they dont sell the srx in the uk. Its for japan and usa only. It currently still has km/h on the clock and comes with some optional extra's that the uk spec cars dont have. It also has an LSD fitted as standard and is 4wd just like most impreza's. Its book says it has 155bhp, im looking to fit a turbo kit to it. As in buying a second hand inlet, exhaust manifold and all the piping needed and then control the boost manually therefore meaning I dont have to uprate the ecu or mapping systems. I no that I should buy uprated pistons to cope and to retain reliability but I was hoping to bolt on the external parts and leave the internal standard and run a minimal amount of boost to remain reliable but yet push me over the 200bhp mark. Is this possible? and the big question is are the internals in a turbo the same as mine or not? also is there any other avenues which I have yet to consider?

Ta

Joel
Old 17 May 2010, 12:09 PM
scoobyupholland
Scooby Newbie

They had quite a high compression rate...10.8:1 I think. Are they twin cam?
Old 17 May 2010, 12:13 PM
e12 jrm
Scooby Newbie

ok..... I no what high compression is but does it mean if i bolt on a turbo it wont run? and no i believe it has quad cam.

thanks
Old 17 May 2010, 12:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

don't bother, buya turbo from scracth. will cost you way more to convert it, not just a simple cae of bolting a turbo on im afraid
Old 17 May 2010, 12:21 PM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

surely you will need turbo spec injectors and maybe a standard wrx ecu to cope with the extra fuelling needed as pushing any boost through a normally aspirated engine and ecu system will result in det very quickly
Old 17 May 2010, 01:03 PM
e12 jrm
Scooby Newbie

yea i was thinking about buying a wrx turbo engine but the cost is alot and im just not liking the idea of buying something that I dont know the history about. My car has 40k on the clock and service history to prove its legit! so preferably I would want to modify my own block see. least then i know what I've done has been done correctly. and not a bottom end blow out that will cost me £1000 to buy and take the massive risk that it works.

Thanks for your reply's. Anyone know if the internals are the same as a turbo? thanks.
Old 17 May 2010, 01:18 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cost of doing this to a normaly aspirated engine would be more than the cost of trading yours in for a turbo model, trade yours in for a decent turbo with history and spend the extra money moding that or simply go down the NA tune route may be possible to push 200bhp out of it without a turbo.

ps very doubtfull it has the same internals , most likely pistons/cams will be different