V3 type R seems sluggish after 6k revs

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2010, 10:19 AM
Imran21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V3 type R seems sluggish after 6k revs

Hi guys,

I drive the above mentioned model here in Nairobi, Kenya. Of late i have realized that after 6k revs the car seems to get sluggish (thats the best term that comes to mind currently).
Before i could take it to 7k revs and i could still feel that it wanted moreor could take more as it just kept going. But now it seems to die out of puff after 6k and i feel a VERY slight hesitation/miss. It picks fine (like a type R should) before 6k revs though.
Now i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but i usually use V-power with a couple of bottles of octane booster thrown in. However there seems to be a shortage at the moment of V-power and i've had to go back to normal unleaded extra plus octane booster. Could it be the fuel causing this?

If not, i'd appreciate any input as to what i can do to rectify this .

Mods on the car include, VF34, Hyperflow tmic, FPR, full 3" s/s exhaust, s/s headers, manual boost controller, Zero sports induction kit. Boosting at 1.2 bar. I'm not getting any CEL warnings.

Thanks,
Imran
Old 17 May 2010, 02:02 PM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's very possible the change in fuel is causing this.
Old 17 May 2010, 07:28 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing from 99 Ron or 98 Ron to 95 Ron even with Octane Booster and you will notice a clear degredation in performance. I would also be concerned that you are getting DET and it may well be that your ECU has pulled substantial ignition timing because you have encountered DET with the lower grade fuel.
Also bear in mind that temperatures are increasing so the performance you had during the colder months is no longer available as ambient temperatures increase. You are also at a fair altitude so I doubt there is any benefit revving the engine past 6000 rpm anyhow. On most STis that I drive the quickest accelleration comes from upshifts somewhere between 5700 and 6500 and it is very rare I find it necessary to go beyond 6000 rpm.
What Octane Booster are you using?
Old 18 May 2010, 09:11 AM
Imran21
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the input fellas.

Harvey, I rarely take the car above 6-6.5k revs to be honest as it there is no need but its just thati've noticed the sluggishness and decided to see how far it goes.

I use ABRO octane booster as its the only one available here in Nairobi. Plus i doubt our V-power is 98 octane. More like 96 if i'm correct.

I also find the car running quite rich now.

Cheers,
Imran
Old 19 May 2010, 07:53 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider importing a case of NF Octane Booster. The case will cost in the order of £330 plus shipping. There are 30 bottles in a case and each bottle contains 300 mls. You add this at 1 ml per litre of petrol and 1ml will increase the Ron by approximately 1. If you add 3mls you will get almost 3 Ron increase.
Unfortunately if you are having to run on lower Octane fuel your power output will be badly affected and the ECU may have already retarded the ignition to protect the engine.