Notices

Is this my boost solenoid?!

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2010, 07:40 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this my boost solenoid?!

hey guys, few questions.... this may sounds real daft, but whats all these gubbins mounted to the left of the engine??

is this my boost solenoid and if it is, is it a 2 or 3 port? and what are the differences between the 2??

one thing i have noticed with it, is that it makes a ticking noise, loud enough for me to hear it in the driver's seat sometimes! and it also sometimes stays ticking for a second or so when ive turned the ignition off!!
any ideas?!?

also, with regards to MAF sensors this is mine :

and im just wondering if these are the ones prone to go wrong or is there anything specific i should look out for with it??

its a 98 R reg uk turbo2000 wagon.

thanks in advance guys, first scooby / turbo car ive owned so just getting everything sorted out in my head haha
Old 16 May 2010, 08:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markstand
hey guys, few questions.... this may sounds real daft, but whats all these gubbins mounted to the left of the engine??
Starting from the left of the image, the cylindrical object with the two wires coming out the top and the two pipes down the bottom is the boost control solenoid.

In the middle of the pic, held onto the bracket with the single bolt, is the pressure (aka MAP) sensor. The rectangular box on the right is the ignition amplifier. Not really visible in your picture but at the bottom of the bracket you'll see the pressure source change solenoid - which switches the pressure sensor from reading atmospheric or manifold absolute pressure.

is this my boost solenoid and if it is, is it a 2 or 3 port? and what are the differences between the 2??
As above the leftmost part is the boost solenoid, and it's a two port. There are a few threads covering the technical differences between two and three port setups so a click of the search button would likely help you.

one thing i have noticed with it, is that it makes a ticking noise, loud enough for me to hear it in the driver's seat sometimes! and it also sometimes stays ticking for a second or so when ive turned the ignition off!!
any ideas?!?
Normal behaviour, nothing to worry about, unless you're seeing the Check Engine light while the engine is running.

Your MAF sensor is not one of the types most known for causing problems, but the bottom line is that you have a 12 year old car - so it's possible for any critical component to cause issues.

Speaking of which, btw, if that was mine I would do something about that rust on the bracket before it leaches its way beneath the underlying paintwork.
Old 17 May 2010, 07:24 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

Speaking of which, btw, if that was mine I would do something about that rust on the bracket before it leaches its way beneath the underlying paintwork.
thanks for the info/advice!

yeah thats one of my next jobs to do when i get it running right. power steering has failed on me 2 times in the last 2 months, and im unsure if i have something wrong with my turbo. (i dont have a boost gauge fitted yet)

theres a wooooooshing sound thats really loud (i guess its just sucking in air?) but it does seem louder than normal i think.

and also ive been told its mis-firing but i cant really tell that much!

anyone would think i bought a right lemon! haha