Notices

clutch piping

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2010, 09:19 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch piping

what's the function of all this piping behind the O/S strut?

it looks like it goes from the clutch master to the slave cylinder(in around about way) but is it really necessary? what potential issues could I expect if I removed it all and piped it direct?

also while I'm at it, what's the function of the extended PS piping (circled in red)? is it a very basic cooler ? or a fluid damper of some sort?

it would be very easy to simply ditch it and connect the pipes where I've marked in green,

Last edited by budd; 15 May 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 15 May 2010, 10:18 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would Subaru add parts that have no function?

Why do you have a need for removing these bits?
Old 15 May 2010, 11:23 PM
pockscooby10
Scooby Regular

its there for a reason so i wouldn't mess with it if i was.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:34 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pockscooby10
its there for a reason so i wouldn't mess with it if i was.
Originally Posted by Butty
Why would Subaru add parts that have no function?

Why do you have a need for removing these bits?
That's why I'm asking, maybe they are necessary but often manufacturers fit stuff that's over complicated where a simpler option would do the job.

The reason I'm looking at these items (plus others) to delete is the car is been prepared for the Subaru Cup / Nippon Challenge and basically I've run out of money (until the rest of the funding becomes availble) I used the first part of the budget to buy the car, fir a new clutch, MOT it and basically get the thing serviced and checked out prior to the race prep proper (cage, fire system, seat etc) so until I get hold of somemore funds I'm looking at everything I can do (that doesn't cost much) to increase track performance, the main way to do this is to lose weight hence the interet in these items that have no obvious function, I've already removed all the sound deadening, delated the washer bottle, moved the battery to the boot (once I get a dry cell this will re-located again under the pass seat), carbon can deleted, etc , so if these bits aren't necessary then they to wwill end up in the bin, but i thought it wise to at least ask the question re there function before hacking them off.
Old 16 May 2010, 09:45 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's probably some sort of pressure modulator, as production cars need a smooth clutch action, mine was built into the slave cylinder and was removed on the addition of the paddle clutch.

HTH

dunx

P.S. You might just need the PS cooler, at Cadwell, but maybe not.
Old 16 May 2010, 11:00 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
It's probably some sort of pressure modulator, as production cars need a smooth clutch action, mine was built into the slave cylinder and was removed on the addition of the paddle clutch.

HTH

dunx

P.S. You might just need the PS cooler, at Cadwell, but maybe not.
Yeah that's what I was thinking it probably 'damps' the peddle feel, like you say for smooth dat to day use, I think I'll remove it in one piece knock up a new copper pipe and see how it effects the clutch feel/operation.
And think your right about the PS pipes, on some of the US sites show race / autoX cars fitted with a proper oil cooler, so even this simple pipe affair is going to be doing something so it'll stay.

It's a bit frustrating at the moment, because until I get hold of some more funds I can't get on with race prep proper (cage, seats, fire system etc) plus progress on re trimming the TVR prior to sale as also come to a halt due to running out of spray glue!!! (new supplies of glue should be here Monday).
So I'm at a bit of a loose end thinking of something I can do that's worthwhile but not cost anything, I think this afternoon I'm going to try and make a basic camber gauge then see if I can dial in some neg camber.