Newage WRX Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2010, 09:53 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage WRX Starting problems

Morning All,

Went to start the car this morning to go to work and it wasn't playing ball. Put the key in the ignition and turned to start and it just made a click sound and nothing happened. Lights on the dashboard were still lit though.

This happened a couple of times until it turned over very slowly for about a second then went off again. It eventually turned over for long enough to start but was turning very slowly for about 10 seconds then started up fine.

I drove to work (about 5 miles) and turned it off left it 10mins and started it again, it fired up 1st time as normal with no problems.

Does it sound like my battery or something worse is dying? i know its hard to diagnose from my vague description but any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 13 May 2010, 09:54 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Just to add the car is a 53plate and is completely standard
Old 13 May 2010, 10:54 AM
Scoobynodd
Scooby Regular

Mine's been doing the same thing lately Jack.

Not everyday tho! But now and again I'll go to it try and start it and it almost doesn't and as I'm holding the key on (for not even a second - just as per normal starting operation) waiting for it to fire up the alarm starts to chirp then it starts. Mine's a '54 plate and by the looks of the battery it's the original one, so I'm guessing it's on it's way out. I'll get it tested this weekend. May look into getting an Optima Redtop or something similar, I bought for the RX8 I had a few years ago, bit steep though at £130. I'm also thinking of a 'diddy race battery' effort.

Go to Hal's Frauds and get it tested buddy.

Dave
Old 13 May 2010, 12:23 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobynodd
Mine's been doing the same thing lately Jack.

Not everyday tho! But now and again I'll go to it try and start it and it almost doesn't and as I'm holding the key on (for not even a second - just as per normal starting operation) waiting for it to fire up the alarm starts to chirp then it starts. Mine's a '54 plate and by the looks of the battery it's the original one, so I'm guessing it's on it's way out. I'll get it tested this weekend. May look into getting an Optima Redtop or something similar, I bought for the RX8 I had a few years ago, bit steep though at £130. I'm also thinking of a 'diddy race battery' effort.

Go to Hal's Frauds and get it tested buddy.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah i'll pop down there on my way home from work and get it tested.

My boss said it may of been a bit of damp on the battery terminals. It was quite cold last night and the symptoms he said sounded like a bad connection rather than dying battery, as it got better the more i tried it rather than dying from using the little charge that was left.

I've went back out in it earlier and it started fine, left it half hour and started it again 1st time with no probs.

I'll give the terminals a good clean tonight, any suggestions on what oil or grease to put on them to stop the moisture getting to them?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 13 May 2010, 12:35 PM
deanos scooby
Scooby Newbie

hi it could be solinoid on the starter motor playing up when cold first thing in the morn if it goes first time when warm after startin. But just check there is nothink pulling the power of the battery over nite. sorry mate im just wafflin here lol just get a test meter start your car and test the battery is gettin its 14 volts or just over then turn it of and see if battery holdin charge with the meter then u will no if it is the battery
Old 13 May 2010, 12:38 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a dead cell on the battery might be starting to occur. Batterys only have a shelf life of about four years, so if it's original, get a new one one.

Dead on key........... get it started so the alternator puts in a bit of charge......... starts again ok with that bit of extra charge the alternator supplies........ for now.
Whack a battery on dude. Make sure it's the same Ah (amperage) as your old one.
Old 14 May 2010, 11:59 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your replies. I went to get the battery tested and there was a dead cell on the battery! The guy at Halfords was suprised that i hadn't had any previous problems with it not starting.

Anyway got a nice new shiney Calcium battery fitted for £95 with a 4year guarantee.

It was still running on the original battery. Not bad for nearly 6 years old.

Thanks for all your help guys much apprieciated!!!!

Last edited by Berks-Jack; 14 May 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2010, 12:07 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your replies. I went to get the battery tested and there was a dead cell on the battery! The guy at Halfords was suprised that i hadn't had any previous problems with it not starting.

Anyway got a nice new shiney Calcium battery fitted for £95 with a 4year guarantee.

It was still running on the original battery. Not bad for nearly 6 years old.

Thanks for all your help guys much apprieciated!!!!

Damn i'm good!
Glad it's sorted mate.
Old 14 May 2010, 12:44 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rookymatt
Damn i'm good!
Glad it's sorted mate.

Yeah did panic a bit when it wouldn't go yesterday, all i could see was a big mechanics bill in front of mate.

I'll just pm you all my car troubles from now on matt
Old 14 May 2010, 01:05 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Ha! I only charge a tenner per pm, no problem! hahaha.