Notices

Max boost & BHP from a TD04 turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2010, 07:43 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max boost & BHP from a TD04 turbo 2000

hi guys, can anybody tell me whats the maximum boost and BHP you can get from the tdo4.

thanks david
Old 10 May 2010, 07:49 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

boost is .8bar and bhp i think is 240 depending on the model year you have. someone with bit more knowledge than me should confirm this
Old 10 May 2010, 08:02 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

At 220 hp - 240 hp and around 13 psi of boost pressure, the TD04 is within its limits but has the potential to supply enough air to produce 280 hp with supporting mods.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:06 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tdo4 with prodrive performance pack fitted can see 240 - 250 bhp.In a standard car it can be 208 -225 bhp depending on model year. With a few good mods and a remap can see the power up to about 280 bhp.
Boost can be anything from 0.7 bar - 1.1 bar depending on model

Last edited by midnight; 10 May 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:11 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, at what psi is the fuel cut on a uk turbo 2000.

thanks
Old 10 May 2010, 08:16 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

1.1 -1.2 bar just watch the chocolate rods
Old 10 May 2010, 08:32 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

thanks, are the internals of the uk spec the same as the import wrx 93-96 i.e 320-330bhp maximum power.

thanks david

Last edited by davidgoodwin1803; 10 May 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:41 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davidgoodwin1803
thanks, are the internals of the uk spec the same as the import wrx 93-96 i.e 320-330bhp.

thanks david

what year car are you running??
Old 10 May 2010, 08:48 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

its a 1997 turbo 2000, facelift but still the old crapy dash :-(.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:53 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm old tired engine? how many miles? whats the service history like? can you vouch for the provenance on the car? i wouldn't be pushing it too hard. remember these cars are 215bhp as standard for a reason. to have an engine to run 33% out of spec, even with safe mods, is a big ask of a 13 year old engine. I am not saying it can bee done, but you need to be prepared for the consequences if you dont do things right.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:57 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

i dont want to go mad, but if the internals can handel 330bhp and i end up around 270-280bhp then i know its not at its max.

if the internals can only go to 270-280bhp then i would only want to go to around the 250bhp mark.

thanks david
Old 10 May 2010, 09:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

david,

its not a matter of going mad. yes there is some lee way here. 270 - 280 is a very quick car. but all too often guys (and girls) get used to the power and want more. thats when it gets expensive and when horror stories happen. take the car to a good subaru mechanic who has a passion for the car. they will give you the best options for your car and your wallet.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:35 PM
davidgoodwin1803
Scooby Regular

thanks very much buddy, this is my 4th scooby now, but the past 3 have all been early classic imports.

this is my first scoob with a td04 turbo unit and i hate to say it but i really do like it, i thought that as my other scoobys had all had td05 units i wouldnt enjoy this car but i do.

my last scooby was 280-290bhp and i would like to get close to that, but am also quite excited about the prospect of driving a 280 bhp scooby with the td04 unit.

thanks again for all your help.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:39 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

hi guys dont mean to butt in but im concerned now my mate got me a adjustable boost valve for my 95 import wrx whats a safe level of bar to adjust it to or are they a no no the engine is mint spooky mint only arrived from japan last year cheers stu
Old 10 May 2010, 10:04 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stucooper
hi guys dont mean to butt in but im concerned now my mate got me a adjustable boost valve for my 95 import wrx whats a safe level of bar to adjust it to or are they a no no the engine is mint spooky mint only arrived from japan last year cheers stu

stu

dawes device or similar are ok but not great. they are cheap for a reason. if you a great engine and want to keep it that way then i personally would avoid it. If you can get a good mechanic who knows how an engine makes power then let him at it. fuelling, timing, boost pressure all have to be spot on or its goodbye engine. better to have it remapped by a professional mapper. probelm is your ECU is not remappable so you will either need a new ECU or fit a piggyback unit to your own ECU. 10 times the price of a manual boost controller though.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:44 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

really thanks he swears by them but sounds like you know your stuff dont supose you know any good mechanics liverpool area i had a uk 2000 turbo it went like a bat out of hell low down mine seems slower i have zero idea what had been done to it the import much slower of the mark but faster later on thats why i was thinkin about the boost valve cheers stu
Old 10 May 2010, 11:16 PM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

my 1997 uk turbo made 265/270 on a TD04 with full decat and walbro pump, everything else standard, mileage was 110k to 120k
Old 11 May 2010, 08:21 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

really thanks he swears by them but sounds like you know your stuff dont supose you know any good mechanics liverpool area i had a uk 2000 turbo it went like a bat out of hell low down mine seems slower i have zero idea what had been done to it the import much slower of the mark but faster later on thats why i was thinkin about the boost valve cheers stu
stu,

you pays your money, you takes your choice. if this guys swears by them and he knows what he is doing then by all means get him to fit one and increase the boost to just below cut. you make sure though he does it safely. not sure if you would need fuel pressure adjusted, but certainly he would need to check the engine is not running lean. he should be out testing it with det can on, with an air/fuel ratio monitor. that way he can check the figures right across the rev range and the boost range. if he has the means i would also be getting him to check injector duty cycle to make sure the tiny injectors (380cc) are not maxed out to 100%.

That said and done he wont be giving you a years warranty with his work so if your engine throws a rod, or a bearing, head gasket, turbo, you can bet he wont be paying for a replacement parts and it will be very hard to prove that it was the manual boost controller that did the damage.
Old 11 May 2010, 10:32 AM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
stu,

you pays your money, you takes your choice. if this guys swears by them and he knows what he is doing then by all means get him to fit one and increase the boost to just below cut. you make sure though he does it safely. not sure if you would need fuel pressure adjusted, but certainly he would need to check the engine is not running lean. he should be out testing it with det can on, with an air/fuel ratio monitor. that way he can check the figures right across the rev range and the boost range. if he has the means i would also be getting him to check injector duty cycle to make sure the tiny injectors (380cc) are not maxed out to 100%.

That said and done he wont be giving you a years warranty with his work so if your engine throws a rod, or a bearing, head gasket, turbo, you can bet he wont be paying for a replacement parts and it will be very hard to prove that it was the manual boost controller that did the damage.
thanks again he said he had 1 fitted to his uno turbo years ago and he wont fit it untill i fit a boost gauge and will only turn it up a bit so it stays under 2 bar if that makes sense i am totally green on modding love my cars but not that tech my car is my world and dont want to break it cos like most im skint i just miss the kick my uk turbo had hr said that had the same boost valve fitted also on a budget whats the best air filter to fit he sayin typhoon type cheers stu
Old 11 May 2010, 10:39 AM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

thanks again he said he had 1 fitted to his uno turbo years ago and he wont fit it untill i fit a boost gauge and will only turn it up a bit so it stays under 2 bar if that makes sense i am totally green on modding love my cars but not that tech my car is my world and dont want to break it cos like most im skint i just miss the kick my uk turbo had hr said that had the same boost valve fitted also on a budget whats the best air filter to fit he sayin typhoon type cheers stu
I should hope it does stay under 2 bar
Old 11 May 2010, 12:02 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Stu,

He doesn't know much about subarus if he thinks he can whack a manual boost controller up to 2 bar. fuel cut on your car will be between 1.1 and 1.2 bar. having heard that, i think it best you dont let him touch your car. like i said before find a good subaru mechanic and take it to them. they will provide you with the best advice based on your cars condition and how much you want to spend.

Again, Stu, and i dont want to sound like a ***** here but if you are skint then maybe you should leave well alone until you can afford to do the work properly. there are loads of blokes on here that will tell the buying of the car is not the hard part, it's the modding and upkeep that's the bitch.

As for air filters, i have found in unmodified car a green performance filter is probably the best.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:13 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

Stu,

He doesn't know much about subarus if he thinks he can whack a manual boost controller up to 2 bar. fuel cut on your car will be between 1.1 and 1.2 bar. having heard that, i think it best you dont let him touch your car. like i said before find a good subaru mechanic and take it to them. they will provide you with the best advice based on your cars condition and how much you want to spend.

Again, Stu, and i dont want to sound like a ***** here but if you are skint then maybe you should leave well alone until you can afford to do the work properly. there are loads of blokes on here that will tell the buying of the car is not the hard part, it's the modding and upkeep that's the bitch.

As for air filters, i have found in unmodified car a green performance filter is probably the best.

hi again thanks for the advice ive spoke to him he said he gonna check what boost im running now and make tiny adjustments till i get to about 1 to 1.1 bar i must have miss understood what he was gonna do also got a blitz induction kit for 45 quid well chuffed also im quite confused on which dump valve to get sorry to burn your heads out but i aint got a clue and untill i find a mech who knows his stuff im clueless many many thaks stu
Old 13 May 2010, 09:06 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

wouldn't do the induction kit or the dump valve. stick to a good performance panel filter and get rid of the dump valve, keep the OEM recirc on. don't even come back on here and say "but i like the sound a dump valve makes". what age are you? 10? street cred goes right out the window mate. they offer no performance gain and make your car sound like a chavved up boy racer. just my opinion mate but hey ho what do i know?
Old 13 May 2010, 01:05 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

wouldn't do the induction kit or the dump valve. stick to a good performance panel filter and get rid of the dump valve, keep the OEM recirc on. don't even come back on here and say "but i like the sound a dump valve makes". what age are you? 10? street cred goes right out the window mate. they offer no performance gain and make your car sound like a chavved up boy racer. just my opinion mate but hey ho what do i know?
haha fair 1, and yeah im 36 and think they sound great, mr mcraes car had 1 and most other rally cars out there, but if we all liked the same things what a boring place it wud be hey, and lets face it wasnt it the noise of his car that made you fall in love with in my opinion the best car per £ in the world ever, phew sorry about the rant i know your only trying to help but im doing this on a shoe string always dreamed of ownig 1 and tryin to add what i can, if i had mega money id hand it over to prodrive but i aint so cheap and cheerful it has to be, so if you kno how to get it to 400hp for £50 im all ears haha cheers
stu
Old 13 May 2010, 01:59 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

haha fair 1, and yeah im 36 and think they sound great, mr mcraes car had 1 and most other rally cars out there, but if we all liked the same things what a boring place it wud be hey, and lets face it wasnt it the noise of his car that made you fall in love with in my opinion the best car per £ in the world ever, phew sorry about the rant i know your only trying to help but im doing this on a shoe string always dreamed of ownig 1 and tryin to add what i can, if i had mega money id hand it over to prodrive but i aint so cheap and cheerful it has to be, so if you kno how to get it to 400hp for £50 im all ears haha cheers
stu
each to their own i say. seriously though wouldnt bother with induction kit. if you want the wee bo sound that 306 d-turbos with a tuning box on them make fill yer boots lad. as my old dad used to say "£50 lad?, wouldn't get you a ****e at the railway"

as for 400hp you will be lucky to get that with all supporting mods for x100 times your £50.
Old 13 May 2010, 07:21 PM
stucooper
Scooby Regular

haha not sure what ****e is but im sure its funny, maybe its just me and most the scoobys ive seen but that extra growl me likey the induction kit makes em sound more throaty cant afford high end stuff yet its my toy ive drive a cab so its a second car, i have just got a sensible mod ill find something you like haha clear indicators (de-tango) and hoping to get after burner lights soon v6 spoiler and p1 splitter and white powder coating for the wheels also ive heard about suspension bushes even at low speeds she catches the arches thats how i got it app you can but bushes to lift it up a little? cheers
stu
Old 07 August 2011, 10:57 PM
intercepter
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation boost on tdo4

i recently fitted a td04 to my classic RA Ii expected to hold 0.8bar of boost but its runing nice at 1.2bar
Old 07 August 2011, 11:00 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Why would you fit a TD04?.....It will have a TD05 as standard.
Old 07 August 2011, 11:05 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

do you realize you dug up a thread over 12 months old ?
Old 07 August 2011, 11:11 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
do you realize you dug up a thread over 12 months old ?
Sod that fella i want to know why he fitted a TD04 to a car that has a TD05 as stock...

Quick Reply: Max boost & BHP from a TD04 turbo 2000