Notices

Leaking coolant bottle

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2010, 02:32 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant bottle

I seem to have a leak in the coolant bottle in the wing of my MY00 Impreza turbo. Anyone know how to get to it to replace and how much a replacement will be. Nearly cost me my engine yesterday!
Old 10 May 2010, 08:20 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Anybody????
Old 10 May 2010, 08:30 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it spraying out of the lid or is there a crack/hole in the bottle?
need to remove the inner arch to get to it. plenty of people breaking cars on here or ebay. make sure you use a repuatable seller.
Old 10 May 2010, 08:43 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, seems to be leaking from inside the inner arch. Have had a look on ebay. are all classic ones the same? Bloke doing one for 15 quid delivered.
Old 10 May 2010, 06:01 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem last week was a small leak, turned out to be the small pipe that runs through to the inner wing £17 from the main dealer for a tiny pipe lol
Old 12 May 2010, 07:18 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

What a rip off, I can't quite make out where its leaking from, but it pours out from the inner wing when car is heated up. Also putting it in the inner wing is a right pain in the ****!.
Anyone replaced this before? Do I have to remove the wheel or can it just be jacked up?
Old 12 May 2010, 07:33 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Right have determined that the water is coming out of the pipe to the top of the coolant bottle in the inner wing, is this just a over flow pipe....has my head gasket gone?? (hope not) is the pipe supposed to connect to anything or is it just a overflow. I think I have serious problems that is going to cost a lot of money
Old 12 May 2010, 07:34 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Head gaskets and crank seals were replaced in August 2007 by Foresters Subaru at a cost of 900 quid!!!
Old 12 May 2010, 08:09 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Could it be the thermostat sticking? Can't see any water in the oil...c'mon someone must know!
Old 12 May 2010, 08:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
Head gaskets and crank seals were replaced in August 2007 by Foresters Subaru at a cost of 900 quid!!!
Who and where are "Foresters Subaru"? Why did the head gaskets need replacing on that previous occasion? Had the car overheated? Was a new thermostat fitted at the same time?

Right have determined that the water
Just so's we know what you're talking about here, by "water" do you literally mean you've got plain water in your cooling system, or do you actually mean you've got a proper 50/50 coolant/water mix in there?

is coming out of the pipe to the top of the coolant bottle in the inner wing, is this just a over flow pipe....has my head gasket gone?? (hope not) is the pipe supposed to connect to anything or is it just a overflow. I think I have serious problems that is going to cost a lot of money
Again it's unclear exactly what you mean here. There should be an air separation tube inside the engine bay next to the battery. This has the yellow cap with a black rubber tube on it. Is that one the coolant is coming out of?

In addition, there is water constantly coming out of the expansion system, sooner or later it's going to run dry - so does this mean you are continually filling the header tank (the one on the inlet manifold) back up? If so, as above are you filling it with a coolant/water mix, or plain water?

Could it be the thermostat sticking?
Could be, although if we are to read your posts exactly as they're written, it's also possible that you have unadulterated plain water in your coolant system and are continually boiling it out. When it starts to discharge liquid in the manner you describe, is supply pipe to the rad (the big one down the bottom of the timing belt cover in front of No. 2 cylinder) cold, hot, or what?

c'mon someone must know!
Yes, the someone best qualified to know in this case is the someone with his head under the bonnet (i.e. you). All the rest of us can do is guess on the basis of what you tell us - and given the information we've got to work with so far, those guesses are pretty rough. Give us some more specific info and we'll be better able to help you.
Old 12 May 2010, 10:56 PM
ishan
Scooby Regular

I have EXACTLY the same symptoms as above and would like to know any remedies too.
Old 13 May 2010, 06:37 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply SplitPin I am mixing with coolant 50/50, the mix is coming out of the black rubber pipe on top of the yellow cap to the expansion bottle.
The bottom radiator hose is hot when this is happening.
I do think the thermostat was on its way out before this started happening as the gauge in the car would go up and down when driving?
Haven't got much more details about the reason HG and Crank seals were replaced, all i have is a receipt for the work in 2007, although i have emailed them yesterday but as yet they haven't got back to me
Doesn't look like there is any water in the oil. Is it very obvious visually as I have never seen it before?
Thanks in advance and hopefully we can help Ishan out as well!
Old 13 May 2010, 06:37 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply SplitPin I am mixing with coolant 50/50, the mix is coming out of the black rubber pipe on top of the yellow cap to the expansion bottle.
The bottom radiator hose is hot when this is happening.
I do think the thermostat was on its way out before this started happening as the gauge in the car would go up and down when driving?
Haven't got much more details about the reason HG and Crank seals were replaced, all i have is a receipt for the work in 2007, although i have emailed them yesterday but as yet they haven't got back to me
Doesn't look like there is any water in the oil. Is it very obvious visually as I have never seen it before?
Thanks in advance and hopefully we can help Ishan out as well!
Old 13 May 2010, 06:40 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Am constantly re filling header tank with mix but not driving far only 2 mile school run 3 times a week, Am going to take the thermostat off at the weekend and try it in boiling water.....I so hope it is that. Heater is also blowing cold air, but has done that for 3 months without overheating problem.
Old 13 May 2010, 12:33 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms as you mate, I am also about to change my stat, and if no improvement, then the water pmp (although this seems to be functioning perfectly) if this has no effect, then I think it may be the dreaded HG....

You have already had this done, but its not impossible (without trying to scare you) that irt may have failed again. Especially is MLS Headgaskets were not used on the rebuild, and they rebuilt using the standard composite fibre ones.

I'd be very interested to hear from you if you do get it sorted mate, I am really worried its HG and havent driven the car for two weeks till I get to the bottom of it...
Old 13 May 2010, 12:52 PM
john5f
Scooby Regular

If the bottom hose gets hot the thermostat is opening and, providing the water is circulating as it would seem to be, the coolant being forced out of the overflow pipe is the classic symptom of HG failure.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 13 May 2010, 05:46 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Will let you know Julio. John I hope it isn't but if it is, I don't really want to get a mediocre garage to do it, I would like to send it up to David at API. Does anyone know what the turnaround time is on HG?
Old 18 May 2010, 09:39 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Right....Good news. Replaced expansion tank that was leaking! (it was the pipe from the engine bay that goes through in to the inner wing). Replaced and flushed all coolant, and all seems to be OK again. Haven't been on a long journey or sat in traffic for a substantial amount of time, but temp seems to be staying normal again.....

Now that 1500 quid (I put a side for a HG replacement)....Where did I put it?.........
I can here Bob Rawle calling!