Manifold thread stripped :(

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2010, 05:33 PM
markinwooduk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold thread stripped :(

Hi Guys,

Classic WRX-STI, had a leak on the pipe that connects one of the banks to the turbo up pipe, i got all new gaskets and did the job but on re fitting i could see that new studs had been put in the head part of the engine and one of them unfortunatly stripped the threads even before i managed to apply any pressure..

Question is do you recommend Helicoil or something ive seen called timesert ? or is there any other suggestions ?

Thanks
Old 19 April 2010, 06:52 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markinwooduk
Hi Guys,

Classic WRX-STI, had a leak on the pipe that connects one of the banks to the turbo up pipe, i got all new gaskets and did the job but on re fitting i could see that new studs had been put in the head part of the engine and one of them unfortunatly stripped the threads even before i managed to apply any pressure..

Question is do you recommend Helicoil or something ive seen called timesert ? or is there any other suggestions ?

Thanks
I use the TIME-SERT, you get a much stronger thread as the inserts are very hard and will never need looked at again but they are expensive about £4.00 each but well worth it I feel. You get them from WURTH

Craig