Opions on ECU / boost control v3 sti

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2010, 02:33 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opions on ECU / boost control v3 sti

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct section (mods?) but if not I'll repost/get it moved to the right place...

So the deal is I have a Hydra Nemisis ecu sitting here with the wrong loom (4 plug not sure whether its v5-6 or v1-2 but doesnt seem to be v3-4 anyway!) I also have a Apexi AVC-R boost controller sitting here as well, long term plan is to install the Roger Clark engine that I have in the shop at the moment - but how to control it?
Car is a v3 sti type R so the standard ECU isnt remappable so I've got a couple of options at the moment the way I see it anyway... so I may as well get on with it...!

1) Sell the hydra and buy an Apexi power fc and use that and the avc-r get someone like JGM to map it - pros a lot cheaper to map. cons I believe I'd have to retain the MAF, no knock control.
2) sell the avc-r, buy the correct loom for the hydra and get it mapped (does anyone other than Traktive map these!?) pros, knock control, inbuilt boost control, multi map options for e85/super etc, possibility of launch/antilap, MAP sensor inbuilt so I can lose the MAF. cons damn expensive to get mapped + the loom (looking at about £800 for a loom and map at traktive) and its an old version of the ecu so may not have all teh functions of the newer v2.5 etc...?
3) sell both the hydra and the avc-r and buy something else that I can get mapped more locally or by one of the specilists like JGM on here - what options do I have for a v3?

guessing that option 2 or 3 are the best ones, what worries me about option 2 is though as I upgrade engine componants once its run in I'll have to pay a lot each time to get it mapped - I dont think the engine will even be safe to run in on the stock ecu with the stock turbo, injectors etc etc as it has the stage 3 roger clark cams in it which are massive lift/duration from memory as well as higher compression than standard due to the lack of head gaskets (although I'm really wondering now if thats the right way to go looking at the replacement cost of the O rings!) so Im assuming will cause some issues on their own if not mapped properly.

Cheers
Ben
Old 20 April 2010, 11:24 AM
benspray
Scooby Regular

bump could do with any advice anyone has...?
Old 20 April 2010, 02:50 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Just found a thread saying that the ESL option may soon be available for v3 (testing at the mo apprently) so that would be another option...
pros cost, oem warning light and knock control cons, no multi maps for different fuels, maf?
think at the mo its between the hydra and the esl type otption really, but Id still like to know if anyone else can map the hydra if I decide to keep it.

Cheers
Ben
Old 20 April 2010, 03:02 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Go for a simtek if you want mafless, two maps, AL, LC and it will also have knock control at some point too.

Banny
Old 20 April 2010, 03:44 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

cheers Banny, will have to find out about knock control then as its something Id quite like just as an extra safety net as it were...
I think either way Im going to get the avc-r up for sale soon as I think really Id be silly to go for an apexi setup when I have the option of the hydra or simtek etc, especially as looking at the costs the simtek works out about the same if not a bit cheaper than the apexi! (by the time I sell the the avc-r and the orange label maf)

Cheers