Notices

re map

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2010, 11:28 PM
paul460
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re map

Hi guys, im new to the Subaru Impreza and was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best place to get it remapped, i live in the east midlands area, also could anyone tell me what ecu i have, the numbers on it are sti and sp in big pink letters then the first row of numbers are 1001056110 also in pink then A18-000 01X in pink then1419 in black. my car is a turbo 2000 wagon, according to the v5 its a 2001 on a x plate, classic shape. thanks for any help at all. paul
Old 10 April 2010, 11:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. You currently have the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) ECU which gives c.240bhp (or a little more). There are a few good EcuTeK mappers around - the nearest to you probably being Zen Performance, although there are others and some will come to you so have a look around. Although, as you already have the PPP there'll obviously be less for you to gain from a custom remap than there would be if you were starting from the standard 215bhp base.

For a couple of reasons you'd be better off buying a standard ECU and having that remapped, and then selling your PPP one. I'll refrain from explaining why here primarily as I've done so before so the best way to find out is to click the search button and go from there.
Old 10 April 2010, 11:51 PM
paul460
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that Splitpin, The reason im asking is because i have done a couple of mods to the vehicle and i read somewhere that to get the full potential you should have it remapped, my mods are, pipercross induction kit, bailey dump valve and a turbo back 3' exhaust.
Old 11 April 2010, 12:28 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Grief, where to start. Umm, to be honest the best time to have been asking these questions is before you spent the money on these modifications.

The induction kit and dumpvalve aren't doing your car any favours and unfortunately there's no real "potential" within them that you can realise via a remap. The best thing you can do in both cases is to remove them and refit the standard parts.

The only real potential the induction kit has at your current performance level is to break your engine by skewing the airflow sensor's readings. While you no doubt don't want to hear it, it'll likely be far cheaper for you to remove the cone filter and refit the standard parts than it will be to continue to run them. You're not gaining any performance from them so aside from the damage to your wallet from purchasing them there's nothing lost.

I guess if you take them off really quick you might be able to argue for a refund.

Decat exhausts are known to cause overboost on the PPP setup - and this on its own would be a bad idea, although at least this can be mapped around. In combination with the induction kit, however, it's anyone's guess whether or not your engine is currently running within a safe performance envelope.

Last edited by Splitpin; 11 April 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11 April 2010, 12:39 AM
paul460
Scooby Newbie

Bugger,,, That all sounds bad, the induction kit is a cold air ram type, weather that makes any difference or not. Maybe i best remove them and have a rethink on the situation.
Old 11 April 2010, 01:25 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If it's any comfort you're far from the first person to come in here having made those exact same mods. On other cars they might generate a benefit but generalising is where problems start. And no, open cone filter, "ram" or whatever the potential problems are pretty much the same, with minimal benefit at the general level of performance you're currently at, even when mapped around. If you were making 400bhp the answer would be a little different.

Standard induction tract and dumpvalve back on, and, for now, the decat downpipe off should get you back to a stable base from which you can consider your options.

If you can get refunds on any of the bits you'd be far better off spending them on a good boost gauge or putting the money towards an eventual remap. A gauge will tell you whether the car's running safely with the decat - and will help you get it to do so if it isn't at the moment.

It's also worth looking at the date code on the mounting flange of the airflow sensor, especially given you've had it in the induction kit. The first (of, usually, four) digits is the year of manufacture. If the one you have in there now is more than a couple of years old it'd probably be worth replacing on a purely precautionary basis. If there's no date code at all then it's very old and definitely worth a precautionary change once you have the standard bits back in.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:43 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Splitpin ,is there any way of telling if a car has had the full ppp fitted ?. I picked up my MY 2000 turbo last night,and the car was sold as standard.After reading through the 50page folder of receipts and old mot's last night (including a £784 bill for a factory sunroof),i found 2 x A4 pages giving information about the wrx performance pack - dated march 2003. I have every receipt for this car from date of purchase to every tyre bought but no ppp certificate. There are a couple of samco hoses on the intercooler,but thats it.
I had a quick look this evening at the ecu and it had a pink sticker saying sti, but i didnt note down the numbers.Since then i have fitted the k&n panel filter ,sti intercooler,and the sti strut brace,and was in the process of fully decatting it in the morning.

I did the above mods on my MY99 uk turbo and apart from an afterburner backbox the car ran fine.My 2000 model has a scoobysport backbox,which gives a very similar sound as the std prodrive unit- so if i decide to decat the exhaust will it cause any running issues.
At the very least i was at least thinking of taking out the centre cat out and replacing this - any info muchly appreciated
Old 11 April 2010, 10:53 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Sorry also forgot to add i was only planning on running it on this set up for about 5- 6 weeks as i have the old ecu which bob rawle mapped for me 6 weeks ago,and all the other components (3 port,fuel pump,turbo,etc)bar the backbox . I was going to just bolt everything back on my new car,as they are basically identical,but after reading on here it seems i may need a tweek to my ecu - as identical cars with identical mods can require different maps.
Old 12 April 2010, 10:35 PM
paul460
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your info Splitpin, i have now removed the induction kit and will eventualy get round to doing the exhaust, (work always seems to get in the way) My car has a boost guage fitted already and will not boost above .o8(i think thats how it reads). is this safe? i dont know what it should be to be safe so if you could tell me that would be great. thanks again for all your time and effort in helping me out. Paul
Old 12 April 2010, 11:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Good work Paul, the induction kit was the main issue requiring correction. The correct boost level for the PPP should be around 1.1 bar (15.9 psi) so check that expectation against what you're seeing in the car and we'll go from there.

Midnight - if I remember correct you should be able to get a copy of the PPP certificate via any Subaru main dealer, just tell them the reg/VIN and they should be able to at least look it up.

However, if your new car has the pink label ECU then it has the most significant aspect of the PPP. The other parts are the alloy and blue silicone y-pipe under the intercooler (elbow should have a Prodrive logo on it) as well as, again, IIRC, a catless centre exhaust.
Old 13 April 2010, 12:02 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much splitpin,i did some searching around on here and found this :

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ight=frisbyone

This was the car that i have recently purchased and there is no mention of the PPP in the above ad.However 6 months later it was readvertised as:

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ight=frisbyone

I think the owner purchased a prodrive ecu ,then bought the samco intercooler hoses,but did not bother with the decat centre pipe as i had to heat the bolts off this morning(original centre section) to fit my own decat pipe.The car is a tad louder(subtle) than before,and definatley feels more lively.
I also have a spare Y pipe off a P1 - so looks like i will be selling the PPP ecu with this,when i have my original ecu tweaked in a few weeks time - thanks for the reply
Old 15 April 2010, 10:51 PM
paul460
Scooby Newbie

Well ive ran the car for a few days now and it dont matter how much i give it i cant get it to boost over 1 bar, and that is really booting it, so hopefully all is well now. I think im going to save for a remap and go from there, thanks for all your help and advice splitpin your a true gent, well im assuming your male anyway lol. thanks mate...