Hawkeye - EML - Strange condition

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2010, 07:15 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye - EML - Strange condition

Hi all

I am hoping this is nothing to worry about, however, here was my situation earlier today.

2 days ago I installed some Prosport gauges - oil pressure and boost. Everything has been working fine - done about 120 miles with some hard driving in there too. Today, I fit the oil temp above cylinder 3 (thanks Dunx!), everything worked. Great! Nice and steady driving for 10 minutes and check for leaks/burning oil etc - nothing at all.

We then had a fast session down some twisty roads - full boost between gear 2, 3 and 4 etc - again all fine. The car sat for about 30 minutes engine off before we departed. I hit the motorway slip road and hit boost in 2nd then change to 3rd - big backfire! Next minute, engine management light comes on - and throttle drops to idle (approx 900rpm). Hit the accelerator and nothing at all. So put the car into neutral, hazards on and quickly pull over. Turn off engine and sit there...doh!

Pops the bonnet - checks the basics such as coolant and all hoses, oil, boost hoses and more importantly, check as best as I can the top of cylinder 3 for obvious signs of leaks. Again - nothing. Now, I hadn't turned off the ignition totally, just stopped the engine.

I decide to limp the 0.9 miles home without touching boost and sit on the hard shoulder to my turn (luckily just before the 300yd marker). Gets home and shuts off engine. Disconnect and reconnect the battery, check all wiring that I had done, double and triple checks all the hoses and clips. Again....nothing!

No oil or fluids leaking anywhere - the only thing that was different was I had put some octane boost in about 15 miles before. Could there have been a fuel spike and the engine had cut the throttle, the engine management light went off and hasn't come back on. I have driven the car steady now for 20 miles and then slowly built it up to hitting boost before quickly shifting. Everything appears fine. Any ideas people?!
Old 03 April 2010, 07:19 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Meant to add :

Peak Boost reads 21PSI
Peak Oil Pressure reads 115psi
Peak Oil Temp reads 94 degrees C

All of these appear standard (car has had some work done and is mapped to 1.5 bar).
Old 03 April 2010, 07:44 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you take the TMIC off to fit the oil temp gauge? If so, then maybe one of the pipes under the intercooler's off? Or - and I managed this - the vacuum pipe that feeds the fuel pressure regulator maybe? That's also located under the TMIC.
Old 03 April 2010, 09:26 PM
LeeP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
Did you take the TMIC off to fit the oil temp gauge? If so, then maybe one of the pipes under the intercooler's off? Or - and I managed this - the vacuum pipe that feeds the fuel pressure regulator maybe? That's also located under the TMIC.
I did - I've had the top mount off, double and triple checked everything.

I used instant gasket on the new plug and thread-lock on the sensor insert and no oil/leaks are evident there.

I've put it all back together again - now it's nice and quiet taken the car for a very long soft run to get everything to temp then gradually run it harder. Checked all the peaks and everything the same - no more problem. Hit each gear hard, came onto boost and short shifted - couldn't replicate it. I'll accept it as a fuel spike and have a chat with AET after Easter
Old 03 April 2010, 11:42 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Phew !

dunx