Notices

ebay newage top mounts any good??

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 02:19 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay newage top mounts any good??

i have seen a couple of the newage tmics with the y piece for 180 new (toyosports), are they as good as the sti 8 ones???, its just the sti8 ones seem expensive considering some of them look proper rough as in corroded and loads of bent fins
cheers steve
Old 25 March 2010, 03:34 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got one of those giant bar and plate design things you can have for half that, if you decide to go down that route. Bought in error, I was wrongly informed a long time ago it could be made to fit inside a classic engine-bay, but I never bothered returning to seller.

The air-flow capacity must be enormous, but on the flip-side it's incredibly heavy (weighs easily 10 to 15 kg).
Old 25 March 2010, 11:53 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

I've got a new age WRX TMIC on my 99 Classic and it fits well,

I understand the STi item fouls the clutch master cyl, I don't know it's flow rates compared to the STi or aftermarket items, I'm sure the STi will be better but beware some cheaper aftermarket items while been obviously larger than std are poorly designed and don't offer the improvements there size suggests.
the only problem I've got is the BOV, as you can see it vents at the wrong position I'm going to try a DV with the angled output and recirc as std.

I have a spare std WRX blobeye TMIC (as in pic) and Y piece going very cheap if your interested let me know.
Old 25 March 2010, 01:16 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

btw i`m fitting it on a classic v4 sti, i wanted an sti v8 one really instead of going for a front mount cos ive bought a powerfc already mapped for a similar specced car but he had a fmic, obviously i know i will have to get it checked and tweaked on a dyno to make sure it is ok

the ones on ebay look the same as the sti v8 ones just wanted to know if they are any good or not, intercoolers are nt usually that bad when they are cheaper eg. hdi ones compared to blitz ones

thanx budd but really wanted an sti one to be sure i`m getting the best cooling i get with a top mount.
Old 25 March 2010, 02:19 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

I read an feature in a Jap performance/Banzai type mag in which they tested various ICs from std WRX tm, STi tm, cheap (£200 ish) ebay tm, branded tm (£800 Hyperflow IIRC) and a full on FMIC, the conclusion been that bar the ebay item each preformed as expected the performance (ie inlet temps, boost level ) each improved with the FMIC giving most benefit, the ebay one however proved only slightly better the a std WXR item despite been much larger, they put this down to poor design, whether they had a hidden agenda (ie advertising revenue) I couldn't say but if the results are believed then the ebay items may not be the bargain they seem.
Old 25 March 2010, 03:31 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the thread hijack....Budd did you have to make any modifications to fit the wrx i/c mate?
Old 25 March 2010, 03:45 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

thanx budd
Old 25 March 2010, 09:03 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

[quote=every1sgottablue1;9307793]Sorry for the thread hijack....Budd did you have to make any modifications to fit the wrx i/c [quote]

yes the 'y' piece on the later IC doesn't reach the turbo

so I cut a Prodrive 'Y' piece and added a section of metal tube to extend it the couple of inchs it was short,

other than that it's pretty straight forward, although mine had a FMIC so I didn't have brackets for the TM but they were easy enough to fabricate.
Old 25 March 2010, 09:10 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budd
I read an feature in a Jap performance/Banzai type mag in which they tested various ICs from std WRX tm, STi tm, cheap (£200 ish) ebay tm, branded tm (£800 Hyperflow IIRC) and a full on FMIC, the conclusion been that bar the ebay item each preformed as expected the performance (ie inlet temps, boost level ) each improved with the FMIC giving most benefit, the ebay one however proved only slightly better the a std WXR item despite been much larger, they put this down to poor design, whether they had a hidden agenda (ie advertising revenue) I couldn't say but if the results are believed then the ebay items may not be the bargain they seem.
In that article they also pointed out that the fin density inside the intercooler was not as high as some of the better one - I had just bought one and thought I'd wasted my money, but when I checked I had the same fin density as the hyperflows etc.

I fitted it and noticed a difference in my intake temps (monitored on my PSI3) but it took a bit of work to make it fit - I've since seen better designs but it works, and yes you do have to modify the y-pipe.