Notices

Pls HELP car was running then cut out

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2010, 06:35 PM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls HELP car was running then cut out

Hi guys, only had the car a month and has been no trouble its a 99 classic uk, it started up fine this morning and got me to work only 3 miles away, finished work started up, went to change out of my boots and bout 30secs later it cut out, i went to restart it and it thought about it but now nothing, the immoblizer is turning off all ok but i cant hear the fuel pump (normally you hear it for a couple of seconds when turning ignition on).
Is this telling me its the fuel pump??? please help

(was told it had been uprated to a walbro but cant find any paperwork to show when)

Cheers
Old 24 March 2010, 07:00 PM
martandzoe
Scooby Regular

i had this mate cleaned out the idle control valve and hasnt done it since
im sure its the icv easy to do to as its held on by 2 screws mine was full of black stuff a bit of carbretta cleaner later it was fine
Old 24 March 2010, 07:06 PM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Ok mate thank u I'll go give it a look, any other ideas welcome :-)
Old 24 March 2010, 07:13 PM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

If it was the icv then surely the pump would still make a noise when the ignition is turned I'm not hearing anything just trying to get hold of a volt meter to test power to the pump
Old 24 March 2010, 07:16 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i didnt think the pump primed everytime as such,i.e make the noise,it primes,but if it wont start the pressure is still there so it doesnt need to whine/prime again,i have turned my car on ignition wise, then off then on again and it hasnt whined/primed but still started,so i was under the impression if it isnt started it wont prime/whine each time the ignition is on
Old 24 March 2010, 07:42 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

No, mine doesn't prime everytime. So you might find you need someone to turn the starter whilst you measure the voltage?
Old 24 March 2010, 07:56 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

An easy way to check the fuel pump is working is to remove the fuel line that goes from the filter to the rails,each time you turn the ignition on fuel will pour out of it,if no fuel comes out......
Old 24 March 2010, 08:28 PM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Hmm no fuel Nor noise when ignition turned, i guess that's my answer :-)

I don't understand how it will prime start up then 30secs later die and fuel pump is no more, is this a common thing with fuel pumps?
Old 24 March 2010, 09:17 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

it could be the relay but probably is the pump, i had similair issue, had a 2002 pump fitted into my 1995 car,fine for 2 yrs,laid it up for 2 mths,did a service on it, went to start it,nothing,spent a few hrs farting around with the service bits i did,new coils i had fitted etc,fuel filter plugs checked all that then realised the pump had died,it hadnt gone anywhere from when i laid it up to that day,was fine upto that point

weird
Old 24 March 2010, 11:15 PM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Right all tests done and I am getting no power to the fuel pump everything else is working fine so I'm prayin it's nothing to do with the immoblizer, RIG where can this relay be found as the car manual tells people jack s**t lol
Old 24 March 2010, 11:23 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

before you go hunting for the relay take your back seat base out and under there is the connecter for the pump loom sometimes they corrode or work loose, drivers side of the car rear passenger side of seat, if power 1 side of plug and not the other there ya go,

the relay is a square brown relay, location is level with the centre of the dash on the very right hand side of the car, remove the panel above your knees, look to the right of the 2 blck multiplugs and up you will see 2 cylindrical silver relays and the brown square 1 in the middle of them, a quick test for now is to run a wire from and ignition source to the black and red wire going to the pump flick the key and see what happens

hth
Old 24 March 2010, 11:40 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

luckily you have a uk impreza so the diagrams should show you, if you look around where the bonnet release catch is (inside the car,under the steering wheel area) you will find a fuse box type box,remove the cover and in here is some relays/fuses etc

i own a jap import so cannot confirm which one it is as the symbols are in japanese,but being a uk car,you should see,hopefully
Old 25 March 2010, 05:48 AM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Well it's now 04:40 got to work and thought I'd just turn the key and what do ya no, noise from the fuel pump turned the key and hey presto... Wtf was that all about?? Any clues?? Cheers for your help
Old 25 March 2010, 09:39 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

could be a number of things realting to the pump/relay,being cold maybe the contacts were better/relay cold etc,when hot might fail again,then again,might not ?????

very weird
Old 25 March 2010, 09:52 AM
Danscooby
Scooby Regular

Last nite I tested the voltage and from the block underneith the rear seat drivers side I was getting 6 volts and when testing the plug on top of fuel pump a couple hrs later I wasn't getting anything, what kind of voltage should I be getting as I thought it was 12volts?? Maybe it could be a faulty wire somewhere???