Notices

Defi oil pressure and temp sensor kits

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2010, 06:36 PM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defi oil pressure and temp sensor kits

Anyone know where the cheapest place to get these from?

Also where to get the correct adapters/fittings to install them on the engine?
Old 21 March 2010, 06:48 PM
kebabnemesis
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge fitting kit

e-bay no 130367829969
I fitted a set of defis at the weekend and this is the bit of kit that I used, the t-piece accomodates the original oil pressure switch and the defi gauge pressure switch, and the kit comes with an adaptor which fits in where the blanking plug is sitauted under the intercooler which will then take the temperature sensor, hope ths of some help
Old 21 March 2010, 07:02 PM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

that looks like it will do the job perfect cheers fella!!

how do i know what thread will be in my engine block tho?

i have a 2006 hawkeye STi if that makes any difference?

thanks again
Old 21 March 2010, 09:14 PM
kebabnemesis
Scooby Newbie

Original oilr pressure sensor is 1/8 NPT the same as the defi gauge and like I said the adaptor that comes with the kit fits in the blank and has a 1/8 npt thread n it so the temp gauge fits straight in
Old 21 March 2010, 09:36 PM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

just ordered that kit, thanks again
Old 26 March 2010, 09:50 AM
blueoxo22
Scooby Newbie

Guys, not sure if you can help/advise here. I want to connect up Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Water temp to my Defi display and I have a couple of Q's.

Water Temp - Is there a benifit in having the Defi water temp sensor as well as the gauge on the dash?

Oil Temp/Pressure - What is best this extender pipe or the sandwich plate? Which is most accurate?

Is there any way of using Defi kit with the Water/Oil OEM sensors or do I have to have duplicate sensors?
Old 26 March 2010, 10:50 AM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

I'm told the most accurate kit to use is the above item off eBay, mine came yesterday and looks like it will do the job perfect. it keeps the original oil pressure sensor and you can just add the defi one. also has the adapter for oil temp that goes in 3rd cylinder as this just replaces a simple plug in the block.

hope this is of some help

Dan

p.s. where did you get your oil temp and presure sensors from? are they the proper defi sensor sets with harnesses?

thanks
Old 26 March 2010, 05:38 PM
blueoxo22
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dan. Suppose it also prevents the need for a oil change just to add the sandwich plate.

So the water temp... is there a benefit in the defi exact readout over and above what you get on the dash? I'm trying to jusify to myself why I should fork out £70 to be told something I already know :-)

Thanks for the support.
Old 26 March 2010, 06:25 PM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

I'd say the dash one isn't that accurate, the needle on my hawkeye is always in the same place but my PSI3 monitor states differences from 75-97 degrees. hope that hepls mate. have you got your defi sensor sets for oil temp and pressure? if so where'd you get them and how much you pay mate?

cheers
Old 26 March 2010, 07:55 PM
blueoxo22
Scooby Newbie

I got the water temp sensor set today from demon tweaks. Found them to be about equal cheapest at £70 though still feel its a lot. Will be looking for the oil pair and fuel pressure in the end. I decided to go for the subtle look with the defi display and hope to get it mounted this weekend, going to see if it'll fit in the ashtray hole.... we will see.

Fuel pressure kit is around £140 I found.

Have a good weekend guys.
Old 01 April 2010, 04:09 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Replace you oe oil pressure switches with the Defi oil pressure sensor. The stock one is a waste of time, its set to light at 0.15 bar oil pressure!!! Save your money in buying any t-pieces. When you take it out and disconnect the wire, all it means is the oil pressure light on the dash will be permanently extinguished. Instead the oil pressure warning light will show on the Defi and is default to go on at about 1.5 bar pressure instead.

Oil temp just goes in an oil gallery plug at no.3. You'll need the Subaru part (its the same part that the oil pressure sensor goes in) for the threaded plug that replaces the allen plug just under and to the right of the turbo (you need to remove the intercooler).

Cheers
Nito
Old 01 April 2010, 04:35 PM
bloomydj
Scooby Regular

nito are the defi sensors NPT threads PT threads?

isn't PT thread BSP (Gas) ?
Old 02 April 2010, 06:02 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

They're 1/8 PT. But you don't need any adapters. They are the same size as the original oil pressure switch. You can remove the old oil pressure switch and fit the new sender in its place without even removing the alternator (if you use the right tools - a socket for the old switch and a stubby spanner for the new sensor) Oil temp goes in the subaru adapter above no.3.

Rgds
Nito
Old 07 May 2010, 09:26 PM
blueoxo22
Scooby Newbie

Ok finally been out and fited the Water Temp Sensor using a 38mm adapter for anyone trying to work out which fits to the top rad pipe!!

Lost a fair bit of coolant out of the top of the Rad and that hose when I did it, so heres a question...

Subaru does not recommend mixing coolants (by the book) so, do you simply top with water, mix the coolants anyhow or replace the whole lot?? I think option 1 is the was to go but I have only tap water :-( Also how do you actually replace what is lost? The expansion tank remains the same right now so I guess just fill the Radiator tank up till full..

Another really annoying thing is that I got the Temp sensor KIT and the extension cable does not fit into the control unit which mean I got the wrong one grrrr. gonna have to modify tomorrow!