Notices

Fitting phase 2 manifold to phase 1.5 car

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 12:49 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting phase 2 manifold to phase 1.5 car

Guys, can anyone tell me the changes ill need to make to fit and engine with a phase 2 manifold into my v4 car?

How painful will this be?

Cheers in advance

Ross
Old 18 March 2010, 02:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

There are already more than a few threads about this subject so Search is worth a click.

How painful it would be depends a lot on how much a load of fiddly work appeals to you and whether you have all the other parts you'll need for the conversion. These would include the ECU and wiring loom from the donor car, as well as the complete engine inc underbonnet ancillaries - including the airflow meter, instrument cluster and probably more.

The short answer is that it's far from a drop-in replacement.
Old 18 March 2010, 03:53 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate, i did have a quick swatch through the search but couldnt seem to locate anything.

Sounds like it may be a bit of a ballache, fun times, both engines are complete, i was hoping that it would be possible for me to adapt the wiring to the manifold to suit, as for the engine, im toild that i can just swap all the sensors from my old engine onto the new one?
Old 18 March 2010, 04:08 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If you want it to work properly, the big issue you face if trying to convert the old wiring loom is the inability of the phase 1.5 ECU to command the stepper motor idle controller on the phase 2 engine. If you don't mind the idle speed being all over the place then it possibly becomes less of a ballache, but if you want to do it properly, that's a rock/hard place situation.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:21 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Does the fact i have a Power FC fitted make any odds? Im assuming not but worth asking
Old 18 March 2010, 06:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rossco_
Does the fact i have a Power FC fitted make any odds? Im assuming not but worth asking
I believe not - as the version 5/6 stepper motor requires four power transistors in the ECU to drive it (and four control wires in the loom) where the earlier ECUs and looms only have one.

I'm far from the Apexi (or 97-8) expert though so hopefully someone'll correct me if I'm wrong.