Notices

Why are the JDM STi's so quick in standard form?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 12:07 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the JDM STi's so quick in standard form?

is it just because of the twinscroll? it produces the power better?

ive just picked up a JDM bugeye sti with the blob conversion

completely standard inc standard exhaust cats eveything.. as it left the showroom..

so should be what 280bhp?

i also have a uk (malta import) bugeye sti with a 3" decat, panel filter, plus pump and remap.. so at least 310bhp minimum..

and these two cars are side by side / identicle on a number of runs..

looking forward to getting the mods started on the JDM as its such a good base.

but why is this 280 having no problem keeping up?

also how come on gear changes you can feel the diff hit you in the back on the import, 'tak' sound.

and on the uk one you dont? noticed all my classic imports did this. and just thought newage was more refined so didnt, but seems the JDM do.

cheers.

p.s. any reason for the JDM to have lighter steering on the same wheels and tyres?

Last edited by eggy790; 15 March 2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:18 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eggy790
The twin entry turbo setup is more efficient and responsive, if all other things are equal, but it's probably a moot point on your converted JDM MY01 STi, as that will likely have a VF34.

completely standard inc standard exhaust cats eveything.. as it left the showroom..

No, over 300 on Japanese brew fuel.

Because it'll be more than 280. Also have you looked at gearing differences? JDM one may be more accelerative in part because it is geared shorter.

also how come on gear changes you can feel the diff hit you in the back on the import, 'tak' sound.

and on the uk one you dont? noticed all my classic imports did this. and just thought newage was more refined so didnt, but seems the JDM do.
We can't answer questions like that with authority without looking at your car, but if you can hear the rear diff thwacking the shell after each gearchange, it could be anything and all of less sound deadening/undersealing on the JDM car, worn diff crossmember bushes, bent crossmember support plates, and more besides.

p.s. any reason for the JDM to have lighter steering on the same wheels and tyres?
Checked to see whether the two cars have the same ratio steering rack? Either way, if the steering is noticeably lighter, the likeliest reason would be increased power assistance.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:49 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

cheers splitpin, makes sense, i need to look into it more.

so the jap sti's came with over 300 standard? thought they were all limited to 280

also maybe your right about the shorter ratios.. does seem to rev high.

so the JDM has the VF34 turbo aswell? just the twin scroll makes use of it better?

as for the diff question.. i dont think its bushes.. had 4 classic stis and all did it apart from 1.. but that seemed to have alll sorts of braces and bushes underneath i.e. highly modified from last owner.

no worries not a big thing, just makes it feel more raw

cheers
Old 15 March 2010, 12:58 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

JDM Newages are about 310bhp on the standard map with VPower. 280 is the Gentleman's agreements in Japan.

5th and 6th are shorter ratios on the JDM box as opposed to the EU 4th and 5th (Newage). 1st - 4th are the same on all Newage boxes.

Newage MY03 onwards has either the VF36 or VF37 turbos, since these cars are twinscrolls. The VF34 is a single scroll turbo.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:05 AM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

ive just picked up a JDM bugeye sti with the blob conversion

i also have a uk (malta import) bugeye sti with a 3" decat, panel filter, plus pump and remap.. so at least 310bhp minimum..

and these two cars are side by side / identicle on a number of runs..

looking forward to getting the mods started on the JDM as its such a good base.

cheers.

jdm engines run a higher compression ratio which gives more power and torq
Old 15 March 2010, 09:28 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

cheers guys

shaun: regards to the turbo, so your saying the jdm car i have is single scroll.. not twin scroll? and using the same turbo i.e. vf34?

its a confusing one.. the car came from japan with all the blobeye bits, only thing missing is the diff control.

log book also says wrx sti blobeye which is strange

but ive just notices it has the bugeye bootlid and not the blob with the square.

anyway, my car and this jap car are completely different, the jdm spools like a diesel.. kicks in under 2k, i was going up a hill and i could hear it spoool and i thought what the hell is that so low, put the foot down and it went..kicks again at 5k..

if its not twin scroll how does it drive like this? maybe converted to standard twinscroll in japan? the 2 cars are honetslyt so different to drive.
Old 15 March 2010, 09:28 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Rob
Who told you that!

Eggy,
I have not idea what you have on your car mate (as you say it has been converted), but IF it is a twinscroll car it will have the VF36 or 37 turbo on it. If it has a VF34, it aint twinscroll.

VF34 is single scroll turbo
VF36 / 37 is twin scroll turbo

Last edited by Shaun; 15 March 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 09:35 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

sorry say that again shaun? told me what?

also heres pics..model code etc. are saying its a my01 bugeye, so must have been converted, last owner says he left it as it came form japan

p.s. is it me or is this site running unbelievably slow
Old 15 March 2010, 01:06 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Eggy,
Sorry, I edited my post as you had posted since. That remark was aimed at Rob.
Old 15 March 2010, 01:19 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

o ok no worries. i dont think its a vf34..

i reckon the japs have converted it to an actual blobeye lol

they dont half do some crazy cars..

when my brother used to import, i saw rear wheel drive classics, plus vlimited and 555 cars sprayed silver :S

lol o well i'll have to inspect the car further
Old 15 March 2010, 01:23 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you post a pic of the inside?

Banny
Old 15 March 2010, 01:29 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

i'll get interior pics tonight Banny

ive got a feeling you may know the car
Old 15 March 2010, 01:57 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

interior

Old 15 March 2010, 02:33 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Still got the Bugeye clocks then.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:47 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

o ok no worries. i dont think its a vf34..
Just to make it clear as you don't quite seem to have got it from earlier posts, JDM cars became twin scroll from MY03 onwards. MY01 and MY02 cars were single scroll. As such, if the conversion done on your bugeye was purely cosmetic (bonnet, bumpers, lights, front wings) it'll be single scroll and should therefore have a VF34.

It's certainly possible that alongside all the visible stuff it's had a twin scroll conversion and a remap, but there's no need for you to "think" it's something or other - and there's not much point us wasting our time trying to guess on your behalf. Just pop the bonnet and have a looksee what's etched onto the ID plate on the turbo's compressor cover.

In addition, if it's got a twin scroll turbo, the exhaust manifold will look completely different to the one on your UK car, as will the downpipe. It'll also sound totally different - the "scooby burble" will be gone.

i reckon the japs have converted it to an actual blobeye lol
As above, there's no need for you to "reckon". It's your car, just open the bonnet and use your eyes. As has already been said it's still got a bugeye instrument pack so the conversion is certainly not "complete".
Old 15 March 2010, 03:15 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ok no worries, thanks

i'll have a look properly this weekend in daylight.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also have a VF30 (single scroll), you will know if you have a vf37 engine, there is no burble, it sounds very different and they pull from like 1800rpm upwards, it could be a full conversion, if it is and its been done properly, you will have some fun in it

Tony
Old 16 March 2010, 05:34 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

jap ecu are map also differently and shorter gearing gives them great sprinting as oppose to non jdm car.
Old 16 March 2010, 08:36 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You could also have a VF30 (single scroll), you will know if you have a vf37 engine, there is no burble, it sounds very different and they pull from like 1800rpm upwards, it could be a full conversion, if it is and its been done properly, you will have some fun in it

Tony
that sounds like it.. pulls from just under 2k rpm !!!

i will no about the burble after i stick the nur spec on, atm on standard exhaust, it sounds like a normal car, cant even hear it started lol

it also ndoesnt have a heat shield over the turbo so i'll have a proper look down their to see the downpipe
Old 16 March 2010, 03:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

it also ndoesnt have a heat shield over the turbo so i'll have a proper look down their to see the downpipe
If you're going to look, look at the compressor cover and there'll be no doubt:

That's a VF37, obviously.

Last edited by Splitpin; 16 March 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:06 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

ok ive beeen looking at the engine bay for the last 10 minutes

and after lying on top of the engine with one leg in the air i finally found out.. that the turbo is a VF37!!!

so it has been converted to twinscroll

but.. the clutch started slipping today in 4th so i need to sort that out now lol

i take it , it must have had a remap in japan for the conversion to twinscroll?

no wonder the damn thing is so fast lol
Old 16 March 2010, 09:18 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

dont know about yours.... and what you mean by so much quicker??? it is quicker but only slightly in standard form I believe....

maybe just feel faster?? I never seem to have any problem of keeping up with my cousin's 54 Spec C at any speed...

Last edited by Japorter; 16 March 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 16 March 2010, 09:52 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

ok ive beeen looking at the engine bay for the last 10 minutes

and after lying on top of the engine with one leg in the air i finally found out.. that the turbo is a VF37!!!
So now you know. Result!

i take it , it must have had a remap in japan for the conversion to twinscroll?
More than possible, but if so it's a bit of a double-edged sword. If it's been mapped in Japan it'll be on Japanese fuel so not necessarily ideal for this country. Might still be running on the single scroll map, which would be far from ideal. Not sure whether they're pin compatible drop-on replacements but it might even have an MY03+ twinscroll ECU in it. Probably worth pulling the cover and telling us the part number to check this.

If I were in your shoes I'd have it looked at by a good mapper just to make sure it's mapped appropriately and running safely on our gas.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Japorter
dont know about yours.... and what you mean by so much quicker??? it is quicker but only slightly in standard form I believe....

maybe just feel faster?? I never seem to have any problem of keeping up with my cousin's 54 Spec C at any speed...
No they are quicker through the rev range, where your uk probably doesnt start to kick in till 3k+ the twin scroll cars start below 2k, at 2.5k they produce 80% of their torque, your uk car will be nearer 4k for that, as for not having any problems keeping up with your cousins spec c, if his car has the same power as yours then he will leave you, of that I have no doubt if he has 40bhp less then yes, you will keep up.

Tony
Old 16 March 2010, 10:21 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

good advice splitpin, once the clutch is in thsi week i will give duncan a call and get it looked at and given a once over.

i'll also have a look at the ecu. is that in the passenger footwell?

Many thanks
Old 16 March 2010, 11:40 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

What actual month/ year is it then?

Is it not just actually a blobeye twin scroll car with bug clocks? Or maybe late 2002 crossover. Or have I missed the bit where you said it's a year 2000/01
Old 17 March 2010, 04:05 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

01-02 sti and 03-04 sti ecu are not straight plugs n play so be carefull you might burn a few electronics if you do try without consulting with a proper electrician as the pinout of some of the wire is different even though they look the same
Old 17 March 2010, 04:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
What actual month/ year is it then?

Is it not just actually a blobeye twin scroll car with bug clocks? Or maybe late 2002 crossover. Or have I missed the bit where you said it's a year 2000/01
You haven't missed it here - it was on another thread. Eggy was asking whether it was a real blobeye or not. It's got a GDBAxxx model code so definitely a 2001MY converted bugeye.

Originally Posted by Sc0oby
01-02 sti and 03-04 sti ecu are not straight plugs n play so be carefull you might burn a few electronics if you do try without consulting with a proper electrician as the pinout of some of the wire is different even though they look the same
Don't think anyone's suggested he plug a later ECU into his car. I only mentioned the later ECU in reference to Eggy's question over whether the car would be properly mapped for the engine configuration it's currently running. If it already has a 2003+MY ECU in it, then by definition any issues arising will have been dealt with when it was fitted.

All this is a moot point though. Eggy, yes, the ECU is in the passenger footwell. Look for the number that begins "22611....." and tell us what the end bit is.
Old 17 March 2010, 06:22 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

hi splitpin

denso v8

ecu code is 22611AF481

112000-7546
12v

cheers
Old 17 March 2010, 06:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

ecu code is 22611AF481
That's an MY01 ECU. So, as of now, there would appear to be three possible options as far as mapping is concerned.

Either it has been converted to twin scroll in Japan and is running a custom map done there for local fuel.

It was converted in the UK and has a custom map done on our fuel.

It's still running the 2001MY JDM single scroll code and mapping.

The second option of the above is obviously the best case scenario. The worst case is that it's still running the standard 01MY single scroll JDM map. Given that possibility, if I were you I'd take it easy until Duncan's had a chance to check it over.

Quick Reply: Why are the JDM STi's so quick in standard form?