Notices

Anyone using Redline 'Heavy' Shock proof Gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2010, 02:00 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone using Redline 'Heavy' Shock proof Gear oil?

Anyone had experiences with it?

Anyone using it on a road/track car?

am thinking of trying in my 6 speed '03 Spec C

Andrew
Old 12 March 2010, 04:08 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not tried that one mate, i have a similar thread running as i have used the redline MT90 as its classed as very good for the last car i had, but i am not sure if its suitable for the impreza? hopefully someone will let us know :-)
Old 12 March 2010, 04:12 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

My bro is using it in his evo. He had a crunch into 5th gear but since putting the redline shock stuff in it's working great.
Don't see why it shouldn't be ok for an impreza.
Old 12 March 2010, 05:20 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike h
My bro is using it in his evo. He had a crunch into 5th gear but since putting the redline shock stuff in it's working great.
Don't see why it shouldn't be ok for an impreza.

the reason i'm thinking of trying it is precisely that. I have a crunch in 4th when box gets hot. I was in the process of ordering some but when speaking to the salesman on the phone he completely discouraged me from using it saying it was only for drifting and hard race application and would be hard to change gear when the car was cold? But is it really that heavy.

i've read many mixed opinions on the stuff. Some people saying it cured notchy and crunching boxes and can't recommend it enough, and others saying stay well clear- 'it took me three oil changes to get rid of it properly'.

I know the lighter version is said on Redlines website to be 'unsuitable for most synchro boxes'.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:03 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by baz995
not tried that one mate, i have a similar thread running as i have used the redline MT90 as its classed as very good for the last car i had, but i am not sure if its suitable for the impreza? hopefully someone will let us know :-)

MT90 is a really good oil, but it's a GL4 oil and Imprezas really want a GL5, so go for the Redline 75w-90 NS.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:09 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
MT90 is a really good oil, but it's a GL4 oil and Imprezas really want a GL5, so go for the Redline 75w-90 NS.
I'm thinking of using Redline lightweight shockproof in my 98 STi Type RA. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12 March 2010, 06:09 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apac
the reason i'm thinking of trying it is precisely that. I have a crunch in 4th when box gets hot. I was in the process of ordering some but when speaking to the salesman on the phone he completely discouraged me from using it saying it was only for drifting and hard race application and would be hard to change gear when the car was cold? But is it really that heavy.

i've read many mixed opinions on the stuff. Some people saying it cured notchy and crunching boxes and can't recommend it enough, and others saying stay well clear- 'it took me three oil changes to get rid of it properly'.

I know the lighter version is said on Redlines website to be 'unsuitable for most synchro boxes'.

I guess that was me or Guy that put you off. The heavy Shock is equivalent to a 75w-250 when up to temp so can be really stiff when hot, but Impreza gearboxes are designed for a 75w-90, making the lightweight shockproof a better choice. The bit about synchros is just covering ours and Redlines ***** as technically it's not for synchro boxes, but no one has reported a genuine problem with it and we've sold loads to evo, subaru and skyline owners.

The Millers CRX75w-90NT is also worth a look as it's a similar thing to the Redline
Old 12 March 2010, 06:27 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

I guess that was me or Guy that put you off. The heavy Shock is equivalent to a 75w-250 when up to temp so can be really stiff when hot, but Impreza gearboxes are designed for a 75w-90, making the lightweight shockproof a better choice. The bit about synchros is just covering ours and Redlines ***** as technically it's not for synchro boxes, but no one has reported a genuine problem with it and we've sold loads to evo, subaru and skyline owners.

The Millers CRX75w-90NT is also worth a look as it's a similar thing to the Redline
thanks for the informed replies. It was not you by the way or your company, but incidently i was recommended the redline NS instead or MLT90 - i think it was?

What do you think for a crunch when gearbox is hot. it's only started since having a gear oil change done 3 months ago. oil used was motul 300 75/90. i immediately thought the gear change was harder notchier - although i pressume this is to do with it being new oil?

Last edited by apac; 12 March 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:58 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

thanks oilman :-) i have low oil in my gbox ~(posted in another thread) and was looking for a good replacement. Do you stock the Redline above and could you please offer me a quote with members discount?

many thanks for your time mate
Old 12 March 2010, 07:05 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i used it in my 5 speed and it was fine when cold and good when hot i met a guy of here once who used the ligth weight stuf in six speed but he was running 500bhp
Old 12 March 2010, 07:12 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
i used it in my 5 speed and it was fine when cold and good when hot i met a guy of here once who used the ligth weight stuf in six speed but he was running 500bhp

i assume you mean the redline heavy shock proof?
Old 12 March 2010, 07:14 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

OK so I just need a little clarification here because I made my oil supplier import the Redline Lightweight Shockproof as it was recommended on a website for my car as an upgrade oil above castrol syntrax (I think it was on the opie oils website, correct me if I'm wrong), they also stock the Redline Super Lightweight Shockproof, and the Redline 75W-90.

Somehow I feel a bit drawn to the lightweight and their 75W-90 in the gearbox, but just need some clarification on these different products hopefully from you oilman or really anybody else that knows.
Old 12 March 2010, 07:20 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this heavyshock proof oil as my box has started to whine in 2nd and 3rd and crunches into 5th occasionally but my clutch is knackered also. Will it be ok to use in a classic dccd box though?
Old 12 March 2010, 07:26 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nemesis_911
OK so I just need a little clarification here because I made my oil supplier import the Redline Lightweight Shockproof as it was recommended on a website for my car as an upgrade oil above castrol syntrax (I think it was on the opie oils website, correct me if I'm wrong), they also stock the Redline Super Lightweight Shockproof, and the Redline 75W-90.

Somehow I feel a bit drawn to the lightweight and their 75W-90 in the gearbox, but just need some clarification on these different products hopefully from you oilman or really anybody else that knows.
taken from the Redline uk/europe site ShockProof™ Gear Oil LightWeight ShockProof™ Gear Oil
A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.
Old 12 March 2010, 07:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Oilman, my 17yo 5-sp seems in good health... except... that if you try to do a quickish 1st-2nd change when the oil's hot (possibly cold too), then it does seem to beat the syncro and graunches a bit. I know this is prob to be expected of such an old box, but are there any gear oil products that you recommend to help alleviate this symptom? Will any of the aforementioned oils work? And can they be used in the rear diff too?

Or shall I just bung some sawdust in?

Oilman, any comment on the above?

Last edited by joz8968; 13 March 2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 08:05 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Oilman, my 17yo 5-sp seems in good health...except... that if you try to do a quickish 1st-2nd change when the oil's hot (possibly cold too), then it does seem to beat the syncro and grauncges a bit. I know this is prob to be expected on such an old box, but are there any gear oil products that you recommend to help alleviate this symptom? Will any of the aforementioned oils work? And can they be used in the rear diff too?

Or shall I just bung some sawdust in?
it's the 64,000 dollar question..., can an oil remedy my notchy/snicky or crunching box that probably has worn synchros or worse

as always, you hear lots of conflicting views. I've searched this subject on several forums inc. subaru and others and there are positive and negatives in all cases.

I'm sure that an oil supplier will say that crunchy boxes can be cured with a good cough mixture, , but drivetrain surgeons will say that you need open heart surgery to replace weak parts

Last edited by apac; 12 March 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 08:12 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

it's the 64,000 dollar question...
At last! Someone bothers to think before 'saying'.

I get wound up when people say "...that's the million dollar question".

...On the othe hand however, perhaps I ought to get out more.

Last edited by joz8968; 12 March 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 08:38 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

...On the othe hand however, perhaps I ought to get out more.

We would both probably get out more if we weren't constantly shelling out for the up-keep of these cars - lol
Old 12 March 2010, 08:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

You know it.
Old 12 March 2010, 10:17 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

my advise , do not put that in your box way to thick and will aggregate your problem more plus on really cold mornins it makes gear selection hard , try some castrol driveline may help it a little but too save in the long run stop pushing the car to make it crunch else you will damage the gear/sleeve/selector fork and all is very expensive if your lucky you may just need the syncro changing . i done exactly as you did and left it and paid the expensive way .

by changing the oil your just masking the problem for a little while
Old 13 March 2010, 05:17 AM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Valvoline Synpower 75W-90

This cures any crunch on ANY Subaru. Yes it does. Even my ancient XT Turbo had to quit crunching 2nd and 3rd when I filled the gearbox with this oil.
Old 13 March 2010, 07:42 AM
ChibiSF
Scooby Regular

Anyone had experiences with it?

Anyone using it on a road/track car?

am thinking of trying in my 6 speed '03 Spec C

Andrew
From what I've heard, Subaru Extra-S is your best bet with a six speed.
Old 13 March 2010, 05:47 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Setright
Valvoline Synpower 75W-90

This cures any crunch on ANY Subaru. Yes it does. Even my ancient XT Turbo had to quit crunching 2nd and 3rd when I filled the gearbox with this oil.

Oilman, can you confirm Setright's claim?
Old 13 March 2010, 06:29 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

thanks for the informed replies. It was not you by the way or your company, but incidently i was recommended the redline NS instead or MLT90 - i think it was?

What do you think for a crunch when gearbox is hot. it's only started since having a gear oil change done 3 months ago. oil used was motul 300 75/90. i immediately thought the gear change was harder notchier - although i pressume this is to do with it being new oil?

Hmmmm, bit weird that one.The Gear 300 is usually good at sortting crunches, not the best, but better than most oils.

Lee at Redline knows his stuff so the 75w-90 NS could be worth a go.

Another good one in Subarus id the Castrol Syntrax. It's not the highest spec gear oil, but they seem to love it

Castrol Syntrax Universal 75w-90 semi-synthetic gear oil

Cheap at the moment too
Old 13 March 2010, 06:30 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Oilman, can you confirm Setright's claim?
No, only because I don't know the oil though. It could work.
Old 13 March 2010, 06:43 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nemesis_911

Thanks for that apac!

But oilman can you give me a response on this please as I would really love to get your views on the matter as my car is due for service very soon.

And in the quote above that should have been lightweight in the gearbox and 75W-90 in the diff.

Really looking forward to your response.
Old 13 March 2010, 06:46 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

If it was up to me, in my own car, I would probably go for the Redline Lightweight Shockproof, even though it's not officially recommended
Old 13 March 2010, 06:59 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

If it was up to me, in my own car, I would probably go for the Redline Lightweight Shockproof, even though it's not officially recommended
THANKS A LOT oilman! I'll go with that then. What about the diff though? again all I have available is Redline 75W-90, Redline super lightweight shockproof, Redline lightweight shockproof, and Royal Purple 75W-90 and 85W-140.
Old 14 March 2010, 07:04 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

The lightweight shockproof is fine in the diff too
Old 15 March 2010, 03:09 PM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

The lightweight shockproof is fine in the diff too
Thanks again oilman! Will probably go with this too...

Quick Reply: Anyone using Redline 'Heavy' Shock proof Gear oil?