Notices

Headers! Which Ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 11:23 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers! Which Ones?

I have a version 4 sti with full decat system.

I've just spoke to my mechanic who as stated i don't really want to add the mods i was thinking of i.e fmic with my standard block as there will be no real benifit.

Unless i'm going to fork out for a closed deck block i.e a 2.1 stroker. Don't really want to do that at this stage as i'm thinking of running miine for a couple of years and saving up for a type 25.

He has suggested a set of headers which he has quoted about £400 and a simtec and stopping which i'm happy with as i don't want to blow the poor girl up.

I have looked on a well known auction site and seen them starting at about £80 to £150. Some are qual length, some aren't.

I've seen one of Harveys old posts and it looks like he has some for about £350.

I need to know which ones people would recommend and why. Is it best to get equal length ones or not?

Cheers all

Mark
Old 08 March 2010, 11:31 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Harvey is the man to ask, but it all depends what your goals are, out and out power or quick spool or a mixture of both. Info on what model you have and any supporting mods would be useful.
Old 08 March 2010, 11:57 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

your satndard sti block should run 330bhp ok as long as its in a healthy condition in the first place and even if you did have a closed deck standard block it would only take the same unless you forged it and open deck block can run 400 bhp as long as it has the right internals , to take you car to 330 you would need a fmic for saftey even thou you could do it on your tmic a nice ecu maybe even a power fc has there a bit cheaper full eshast system de- catted a good panerl filter or cone filter if you go fmic and not sure what turbo you have standard on a sti 4 but some one would be able to advise on that im sure... is it a vf22 and maybe a some nice pads and disks
Old 08 March 2010, 11:59 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

and your standard headers would be fine but if you were going to do that harveys ported ones would be nice stay unequal or you will loss the brubble
Old 08 March 2010, 01:15 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

ignore the ebay cr*p !

Scoobyclinic do headers for around £240 look quite good, plus you've got the back up of buying from a well known tuner,
Old 08 March 2010, 01:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How do you know what benefit an FMIC will/would give?

I'm pretty sure that my 98 UK car, which was running around 300bhp, would STILL be running that level, and not away being rebuilt, had it had an FMIC and not the STi TMIC.

When it comes back it WILL have had an FMIC fitted.

Drop Harvey a line, the guy knows his stuff and won't sell you stuff you don't need.
Old 08 March 2010, 07:45 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Cheers All

I believe it's a vf24 turbo as standard on my sti 4.

I was ignoring the ebay rubbish but didn't know whether the equal length or non equal length ones were better. Thanks for the info about scoobyclinic, didn't realise they did them. As with most things like fmic's there's a lot of rubbish out there which doesn't fit, nor work probably. For example before joining here i thought that a blitz air filter and a hks ssqv were the best things you can get for our cars. I then find out K&N air filter providing you have a remap and to keep yor standard recirc dump valve are what's best.

It was my mechanic who said it wasn't really worth getting one as i would be sticking to about 330bhp which the standard intercooler can more than handle.

I was hoping for about 400bhp but i now realise that i'd need a forged block, 6 speed box and be loking at about 6k at least which i think would be better spent saving on a newer model.

My car is great fun at the mo, just wanted to play with it a little. Wanted to do everything bit by bit but i keep being told, if you're going to do that, you need to do that at the sae time, and you need a remap each time you mod.

Cheers again all, any of you have them fitted at what sort of perforamance gains did you get?
Old 08 March 2010, 07:50 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

stockpile a few mods Mark, then get them fitted followed by a map !
Old 08 March 2010, 08:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markfey
I have a version 4 sti with full decat system.

I've just spoke to my mechanic who as stated i don't really want to add the mods i was thinking of i.e fmic with my standard block as there will be no real benifit.

Unless i'm going to fork out for a closed deck block i.e a 2.1 stroker. Don't really want to do that at this stage as i'm thinking of running miine for a couple of years and saving up for a type 25.

He has suggested a set of headers which he has quoted about £400 and a simtec and stopping which i'm happy with as i don't want to blow the poor girl up.

I have looked on a well known auction site and seen them starting at about £80 to £150. Some are qual length, some aren't.

I've seen one of Harveys old posts and it looks like he has some for about £350.

I need to know which ones people would recommend and why. Is it best to get equal length ones or not?

Cheers all

Mark
I suggest you switch to a mechinc that knows scoobs..

ran an open deck block at 500bhp.. your semi closed deck will be fine well beyond the internals..

that engine will take 350bhp all day long just needs to be setup right.
Have run them at 400.

fmic is worth it..

Simon
Old 09 March 2010, 10:09 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Thanks again all

I'm under the impression that i have an open deck block as standard being an sti with forged pistons???

My mechanic stated that it will run fine to a max of 350bhp before things start going wrong.

What i was thinking was.... A walbro fuel pump, decent set of headers, fmic gt2 and then a remap. But where do i go from here?

I thought of 550 injectors and maybe a 18g turbo but i don't want the thing to blow up. Also is anyone running a simtek with two maps? I.e a switch for going up and down the motorway and being stuck in traffic and then a switch for having a little play.
Old 09 March 2010, 09:20 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can take it to max of standard turbo on standard internals no issues..

they should be okay on an 18g but yes you are pushing further and further etc..

as long as engine is in good health it should be fine to 350 no bother and beyond at small risk etc.. done a few to 380~400 with no issue but agree 350 is a good stopping point on standard engine,

Simon
Old 09 March 2010, 09:35 PM
mikey30
Scooby Regular

so harvey is the man to deal with on the headers!!!!
got a set from flat4online before and dont think they are any good...
Old 10 March 2010, 05:51 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markfey
Thanks again all

I'm under the impression that i have an open deck block as standard being an sti with forged pistons???

My mechanic stated that it will run fine to a max of 350bhp before things start going wrong.

What i was thinking was.... A walbro fuel pump, decent set of headers, fmic gt2 and then a remap. But where do i go from here?

I thought of 550 injectors and maybe a 18g turbo but i don't want the thing to blow up. Also is anyone running a simtek with two maps? I.e a switch for going up and down the motorway and being stuck in traffic and then a switch for having a little play.
Im running an 18g with 550 injectors and Hybrid FMIC on a standard v5 sti block , running 350+ , using a simtek mapped by JGM. Ive done a few thousand miles and a few track days and had no issues yet.(apart from head gasket)
Old 11 March 2010, 01:42 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

doesnt harvey port the headers as they are better for spool and tubulars are better for topend, i`m in the same boat looking for about 370 but i wanted good spool, i was looking at vf43 and sti8 topmount, would this be a good setup, i didnt really want a front mount because of the slower spool up. i like to kick the backend out off islands - lol
Old 11 March 2010, 06:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Harvey does both, depending on your engine setup. When I was choosing a new turbo for mine, the choice of turbo affected the size of the injectors and whether to use ported, or tubular headers.