MY95 V MY laters

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2010, 10:51 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY95 V MY laters

Hi all,

Not sure this is the right section for this question. But here goes...........

What are the difference between Classics v 1/2 to the later models.

Now i know about the major stuff like facelifts front end, and the look of the clocks (clusters) etc etc but what else is there?

Reason I am asking is because i have a MY95, its and import. Its only been in the country 1 year. Just about to hit 45,000 miles on the clock. Its clean as a whistle, sure it has some minor problems. I got it at a steal and i totally love it!

I am looking at doing a project with it, over time (probably a long time). This would include sorting the susp, brakes, and probably an engine rebuild (probably using another engine so my car is still on the road) new ecu etc etc
I would be doing a facelift conversation on the front as i like the look of the newer classics.

Now i dont know if it would be better to save up now and buy a newer classic if there was a major difference between mine and the later models.
If there is not a great difference i would use the money i manage to save on sorting my car.

I am hoping there is not much difference, or the differences would be addressed during modifying

Peoples views would be appricated
Old 03 March 2010, 11:17 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

apart from the facelift at v3, 4 pots, bigger injectors were the big things. inlet manifolds changed, intercooler got a bit bigger. later ones got a different dash and stronger gearboxes. different turbos through the years too.

if you're planning on a project, it doesn't matter much. most differences would be replaced
Old 03 March 2010, 11:20 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Well i am considering doing a facelift conversation on the front, up grading brakes, then i want to do an engine rebuild and get a new ecu aswell as new turbo etc etc

So i am happy with that then............... Thanks for that Tathan
Old 03 March 2010, 11:24 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

I had the same dilemma but I just threw money at it lol.

After fitting injectors, a FMIC, management, decent brakes, coilovers etc, there wasn't much left that I would have missed out on so a standard STI3 is a fair bit better than a standard STI2, but if you're planning on the above, the differences are redundant.

Good luck
Old 03 March 2010, 11:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

MY97/98 "Phase 1.5" brought in the first engine revisions that went under the acronymn "MASTER-4". Then more engine revsions for MY99/00 ("Phase 2").
Old 03 March 2010, 11:38 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Yeah, stuff like the different manifolds, bolt spacings, front entry turbos etc. No reason to change car though.
Old 03 March 2010, 11:45 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thats what i was hoping as i love my car and it seems like a solid car and a good starting point for a project

Trending Topics

Old 04 March 2010, 09:19 AM
Scooby see-Scooby do
Scooby Regular

I have found that the only things that cause an issue (and its a small issue) are the inlet manifold and the dash. Unless you want a major job to change these things its better to get the newer vehicle, I'm happy with the older dash and manifold, I'm told theres no real difference to notice in the red top.
I have a 95 wrx with cdb forged etc and am running 340 bhp/320 lb only stopped there for the gearbox (but it broke) and am waiting to save up for a 6 speed now.
Old 04 March 2010, 09:26 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer the early classics tbh. STi gear ratios on the MY95 are fantastic ! Comes with a good turbo and the dash is nicer IMHO.
Old 04 March 2010, 09:35 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

53wrx, so are you saying in the long run it would be an idea to upgrate to a sti box??

scoobysee scooby do, at first i did want the newer looking dash. But the more i think about it, i know and love the car i have so for such a small item i am thinking it is pointless. Plus if i was going to save up for a newer one and sell mine i would be at the same point i am now but would have to save again for parts. At least if i keep my car the money i save at first can go into parts striaght off.

The other thing is the engine............ like i said i am going to have a crack at re-building an engine myself. To do this i am going to get a second engine, rebuild that and get a new ecu for when it goes in. With having a my95 am i restricted to what engine i can get? would it have to be a version 2 engine? but maybe sti if i could source one??

thanks for all the feedback guys
Old 04 March 2010, 09:58 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

53wrx, so are you saying in the long run it would be an idea to upgrate to a sti box??
No mate, I just love the shorter ratios as it's so much more aggressive. STi boxes sit between super short RA boxes and the longer WRX ratios IIRC. Personal preference rather than longevity.
Old 04 March 2010, 11:01 AM
Scooby see-Scooby do
Scooby Regular

No mate there is no real restriction on engine, I have a cdb from an ra thats been fully forged bolted to v4 sti heads, its just the manifold that will have to stay original to yours (unless you want lots of work costing lots of money for little to no gain). You could stick a 2.5 bottom end to it if you like, the bottom ends are all the same, the heads are compatible up to v5 maybe v6 I think maybe later but I know up to v5. You will just have to take all the ancillaries off you car when you fit the new engine, so any injectors/fuel rails you buy will be for your model. I can't remember if the headers marry up cos mine came with the v4 engine. perhaps somebody can shed light.
Also you have the best turbo as standard, mine is still standard and kicks like mad at 1.3 bar, some say its good for 350bhp but I settled at 340 til i can afford the last pieces to get to 450bhp

Last edited by Scooby see-Scooby do; 04 March 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04 March 2010, 12:42 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Thats great news, again thanks for all the advice.

I am probably going to stay 2.0.

My plan is to buy a block first, get it on an engine stand and begin there. Building it up as i go.

This is down the line tho, i want to get the brakes upgraded first. oh and the suspension, all be it i have just found apexi shocks and springs on my car, i do want a nice set of coilovers.