Notices

CEL - P0303 in Bugeye MY01? - ScanGaugeII?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 09:15 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL - P0303 in Bugeye MY01? - ScanGaugeII?

CEL has come on permanent for third time in a year but I've not yet had it diagnosed. Twice before Feb 09 and Aug 09 has been diagnosed as Code P0303 (Misfire on Cylinder 3). I think it's going to be P0303 again. CEL always comes on (initially flashing on/off) when accelerating away from say roundabout or sliproad onto motorway at higher revs in third/fourth and changing into fourth/fifth. Curiously, I can rev away in second gear say up to 5000 rpm and CEL never has come on under these circumstances. Over last few months as above accelerating in3rd/4th, light has from time to time starting to flash on and off but usually I've managed to get it to stop flashing by easing right off and dropping below 2500 rpm. It's a 2001 Y Bugeye fully standard and run always on VPower - always drive last two or three miles before switching off like grandma under 2500 RPM. Dealer has said it's knock sensor and sensitive and does not seem unduly bothered, and from what I've read Bugeyes are especially known for misfire codes. Back in 2006, I had CEL's and ended up having the Neutral Position Switch changed which again is another Bugeye 'prone to fail' (what actually is the point of the NPS - it sounds a completely useless waste of space to me). I should also point out that in the last year or so I have been getting some engine whiffs but only occasionally after long drive and/or periods of steady motorway cruising - sometimes it's a burning oil smell through scoop when switching off car which could be normal or what I'd describe as an occasional head gasket type smell wafting through heater into car usually after stopping at end of motorway or dual carriageway at say a roundabout. I don't think my head gasket is actually blown as surely you would have this smell constantly - and there's no oily deposits or film in radiator header top up water tank which is really clean liquid. Maybe some other gasket/connection is leaking/blown or possibly a catalytic convertor on the way out? The latter CAT problem I will have no problemo dealing with - could be my first ever mod. Anyway I'm not going to lose lot of sleep as the car seems OK mostly and runs normally so the light is now semi-ignored, but remains an irritation. The big annoyance is having had to ***** foot around always frightened of pushing the car occasionally in case the damned light starts flashing. So to cut it short I'm thinking of getting a ScanGaugeII and being able to diagnose, clear and switch off CEL light. Two questions therefore. Firstly, any ideas as to the underlying fault/s, or do I live with CEL flashing and misfires as being a particularly common and everyday Bugeye thing? Any views on the ScanGaugeII? - does anyone have one and does it work and connect properly with the Impreza and read all the codes etc. The thing I like with the ScanGuage is the potential additional statistical functionality and being able to have other gauge measurements - again does it work properly on the Impreza. Thanks in advance for any advice in answer to my rambling text.

Last edited by pmarch bugeye; 22 February 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 22 February 2010, 09:22 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

coilpack no3??? does the car actually misfire??
Old 22 February 2010, 09:30 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sy.
coilpack no3??? does the car actually misfire??
Thanks for the very quick reply (whilst I was editing post to add in a couple more sentences). No audible misfire - but whilst idling in neutral for a long time there's the very very occasional drop in idle tone and hint of vibration, but nothing that suggests to me a serious engine problem. Over and out for tonight -will come back tomorrow to see other suggestions. Have a nice night.
Old 23 February 2010, 01:50 AM
cube320
Scooby Regular

My cel used to flash when acclerating in 4th gear. I have a 2002 bugeye. and the codes used to come up as misfire on cyliner 1,2,3,and 4. i changed the spark plugs to ngk 6's an the problem has gone.
Old 23 February 2010, 10:53 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

oily smell is usually a leaking cam cover driver's side dripping onto exhaust.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. NPS is one of many sensors needed for the ecu to look after the engine.
Old 23 February 2010, 08:13 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
NPS is one of many sensors needed for the ecu to look after the engine.
Thanks for explaining.
Old 23 February 2010, 08:36 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cube320
My cel used to flash when acclerating in 4th gear. I have a 2002 bugeye. and the codes used to come up as misfire on cyliner 1,2,3,and 4. i changed the spark plugs to ngk 6's an the problem has gone.
That's useful to know-thanks. However according to 90,000 mile service invoice, Subaru garage last fitted NGKPFR6B sparkplugs which could be the same as you have recommended. However, the type of plugs is not the whole issue, because if the electrode gaps were not correctly adjusted this would make a difference and be as bad as having the wrong plugs. I would ideally like to check this all out further. But it's not like the good old days when I had my Triumph Acclaim and could easily change and service my plugs properly in minutes and go to bed happy knowing it was spot on and a job well done. I looked under the bonnet the other day and for the life of me cannot see any trace of where possibly the spark plugs are. I suspect I have to take all the various bits on top off before seeing the rocker cover and plug locations, if indeed such archaic things still exist on modern cars. I also suspect I'd need special long reach plug sockets and have to accurately use a torque wrench etc. The whole thing would be bound to take me all day, including looking at the manual. Oh for the simple days.......
Old 23 February 2010, 09:05 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Flat four dude, the spark plugs are on either side of the engine (facing the chassis legs) it's tight to get them out, but can be done with a good size extension and a socket with ratchet.
Old 23 February 2010, 11:15 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

i have my 02 sti and had 0304(do a search mate)THIS would come up all the fekin time and i know what your going through,i must have cleared the fault over ten times but still it come on,then had nps done and still come on again,so then had few mods and map by jgm and he said there was no missfire, in the end i got him to delete the cel in the map and has been fine for over a year.i would say its a common fault and probably has not got a fix.i have read same story about 4-5 times now mate, hth

plugs are easy(ish) move battery take out washer bottle for n/s ones and for o/s just take out air box.as above they are near chassis legs,run parralell /oppsit lags.

Last edited by carl heath; 23 February 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 25 February 2010, 05:51 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I am coming to the conclusion that misfire CELs are par for the course, but then again it might be the NPS fault which again is another par for the course problem. As long as it's not a major engine problem I'm going to give in and relax about the whole issue. The light's still on and the car seems OK. Still fancy getting the ScanGaugeII or some other reader that give me the codes and allow the light to be cancelled off. Nobody has yet commented on the ScanGauge?
Old 03 April 2010, 09:49 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

i know this is abit late but i have a scan gauge II had it for bout 8 month now got it for the same reason (flashing cel light) and p0136,p0171 and its a brilliant bit of kit no complaints and the gauge option is very useful
Old 09 April 2010, 08:16 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
i know this is abit late but i have a scan gauge II had it for bout 8 month now got it for the same reason (flashing cel light) and p0136,p0171 and its a brilliant bit of kit no complaints and the gauge option is very useful
Thanks for that. Funny thing is, the CEL has gone out (around 2-3 weeks ago. Has not come on again except for brief flashing, immediately eased off and light went back off again. CEL is still off. Makes you wonder.....
Old 11 April 2010, 01:15 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

lol snap...............
Old 21 April 2010, 06:42 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Light is back on again - came on whilst accelerating through 3rd/4th gears on M50 coming out of Ross on Wye. Saw an EVO in rear view mirror so put my foot down but it blew me away, as did a Nissan 370. I'm sure the pick up, low speed feel and at idle is rougher than it used to be. Perhaps the engine is getting a bit tired or something replacing? Then again, seems OK another time so might just be my imagination.
Old 23 April 2010, 02:51 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

mine still aint come on for a while but aint done any real distance in it for a while ordered a new front 02 sensor any way il let you know if it fixs it
Old 29 April 2010, 09:16 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

CEL light went out again the other day - still off. What is going on. Will have to give it some welly and see if I can get light to flash or come on. Almost at the point where I don't care. However, will be interested to hear more info about O2 sensor.
Old 08 June 2010, 10:52 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

still no light yet but not done any real miles still as been out the country did try and fit a new o2 sensor on saturday but the old one was ceased solid so got it booked in on saturday will let you know of the out come if that stops it
Old 08 June 2010, 12:28 PM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch bugeye
Thanks for that. Funny thing is, the CEL has gone out (around 2-3 weeks ago. Has not come on again except for brief flashing, immediately eased off and light went back off again. CEL is still off. Makes you wonder.....
Wheather?
Old 08 June 2010, 02:13 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Seconded for the scanguage, on the old CEL issue, mine stopped after having the ecu reset - something the scanguage cannot do though.
Old 08 June 2010, 03:07 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

More info on this thread. https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...u-monitor.html
Old 08 June 2010, 03:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch bugeye
CEL has come on permanent for third time in a year but I've not yet had it diagnosed. Twice before Feb 09 and Aug 09 has been diagnosed as Code P0303 (Misfire on Cylinder 3). I think it's going to be P0303 again. CEL always comes on (initially flashing on/off) when accelerating away from say roundabout or sliproad onto motorway at higher revs in third/fourth and changing into fourth/fifth. Curiously, I can rev away in second gear say up to 5000 rpm and CEL never has come on under these circumstances. Over last few months as above accelerating in3rd/4th, light has from time to time starting to flash on and off but usually I've managed to get it to stop flashing by easing right off and dropping below 2500 rpm. It's a 2001 Y Bugeye fully standard and run always on VPower - always drive last two or three miles before switching off like grandma under 2500 RPM. Dealer has said it's knock sensor and sensitive and does not seem unduly bothered, and from what I've read Bugeyes are especially known for misfire codes. Back in 2006, I had CEL's and ended up having the Neutral Position Switch changed which again is another Bugeye 'prone to fail' (what actually is the point of the NPS - it sounds a completely useless waste of space to me). I should also point out that in the last year or so I have been getting some engine whiffs but only occasionally after long drive and/or periods of steady motorway cruising - sometimes it's a burning oil smell through scoop when switching off car which could be normal or what I'd describe as an occasional head gasket type smell wafting through heater into car usually after stopping at end of motorway or dual carriageway at say a roundabout. I don't think my head gasket is actually blown as surely you would have this smell constantly - and there's no oily deposits or film in radiator header top up water tank which is really clean liquid. Maybe some other gasket/connection is leaking/blown or possibly a catalytic convertor on the way out? The latter CAT problem I will have no problemo dealing with - could be my first ever mod. Anyway I'm not going to lose lot of sleep as the car seems OK mostly and runs normally so the light is now semi-ignored, but remains an irritation. The big annoyance is having had to ***** foot around always frightened of pushing the car occasionally in case the damned light starts flashing. So to cut it short I'm thinking of getting a ScanGaugeII and being able to diagnose, clear and switch off CEL light. Two questions therefore. Firstly, any ideas as to the underlying fault/s, or do I live with CEL flashing and misfires as being a particularly common and everyday Bugeye thing? Any views on the ScanGaugeII? - does anyone have one and does it work and connect properly with the Impreza and read all the codes etc. The thing I like with the ScanGuage is the potential additional statistical functionality and being able to have other gauge measurements - again does it work properly on the Impreza. Thanks in advance for any advice in answer to my rambling text.
Blimey. Sounds like a serious paragraph delineation circuit problem there. Have you had it looked at?

For what it's worth, far from being a "waste of space", the neutral position switch (NPS) is necessary because the ECU needs to know whether or not the car is in gear in order to optimally control the engine.

Secondly, getting into the habit of "ignoring" a check engine light is a recipe for bigger problems further down the line. Have you actually had this misfire code investigated/diagnosed in the past??
Old 15 June 2010, 07:05 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
getting into the habit of "ignoring" a check engine light is a recipe for bigger problems further down the line. Have you actually had this misfire code investigated/diagnosed in the past??
Yes, every time it's been P0303 Misfire on Cylinder3 and I get the impression that CEL's coming on is par for the coarse with a Bugeye. Light is still off and I have had a few blasts - everything seems OK, reliable and max MPG 33 recently so does not seem to be anything wrong or need to be anxious. It will go in for service again soon so I will ask if they can check for any code history. As you imply, it's better be safe than sorry.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:43 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

had my 02 sensors replaced at the weekend seems to have fixed the problem no misfires on full acceleration in higher gears no cel's all tip top now. Had a 250 mile trip back after the work aswell so been pritty well tested
Old 17 June 2010, 07:31 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

had my 02 sensors replaced at the weekend seems to have fixed the problem no misfires on full acceleration in higher gears no cel's all tip top now. Had a 250 mile trip back after the work aswell so been pritty well tested
how much are these O2 sensors, is it a big job to do, where are they located, and if you had done by garage how much inc. labour and vat?
Old 18 June 2010, 05:53 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

scoobyteknixuk.com do them second hand for bout £50 i think or you can get them off ebay new for £125 they are easy to fit if its not ceased in like mine was. dealers are a rip off (£365 fitted or £75 fitting charge if you have the part and if the old one is not ceased in) all you need is a 22mm ring spanner or drapper 02 sensor socket from ebay(cant find one of tools he uses on link). The rear should not need doing that is for measuring cat effectivness ect not air/fuel mix so should not cause misfire here is a guide how to do it

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mainte...or-02-wrx.html
Old 15 December 2011, 09:54 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

i know this is an old thread but id love to know how you got on? did you get it fixed? ive got a 02 bug with constant light going on and off (misfire detected cylinder 4) changed the plugs 2 days ago and that seems to have cured the light staying on, now i just get a blinking light now and then while driving. i connected the reader and went for a drive when it started blinking i read the code........dam misfire detected cylinder 4!!!!
but im getting a lot of the things you mention in the top of the thread, sluggish at low revs sometimes the boost is amazing i have to hold on and sometimes its not so good. im also getting low idle and sometimes trying to cut out when pull up to junctions.
did you get yours sorted and if so what was it? cheers