Notices

Day 2 and my Ra v3 sti has gone bang!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2010, 05:16 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day 2 and my Ra v3 sti has gone bang!!! Help

Just bought a Ra and the engines gone on it. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that can help. I'm gutted just spent 4.6k on it and driven 50 miles and it's gone. RAC had to recover it yesterday. It's currently at ATSPEED in rayleigh Essex, but they have said it's ****ed and would rather not work on it as it's a scoob and they are too problem prone so would rather not get involved

So I need an engine and someone to fit or just count my losses and lose money selling it as is
Old 20 February 2010, 05:24 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

you would probs loose a fortune if you are to sell the car as ity stands mate imo, there are a couple for sale in the for sale section on this forum now but be warned there not cheap engines mate, depends what you need as you may only need the short motor so you may find one for around the £500 mark if not you may have to buy the full motor, either way it wont be cheap am afraid mate, you should get in touch with the person who you bought it off mind as only 50 miles down the road surely they must of known that the engine was knackd or you have flogged the **** out of it and its gone bang but either way the previous owner should at least be paying something towards the cost bud.
Old 20 February 2010, 05:54 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Think I'm just on a downer and it's not helping that first scoob so I don't have any idea of where to go.

Ragged, ha ha I wish I'd had the chance. One quick foot down experience and then driven slowly all the way home. Sickening and the previous owner has said he cant believe it as it had a new bottom end in 2k ago from a 51 bugeye. Not alot I can do being a private sale it's just one of them things
Old 20 February 2010, 06:16 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happened to the front wing ;-)
Old 20 February 2010, 06:19 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

no point in running to post in gen and tech

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...eally-bad.html
Old 20 February 2010, 06:20 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

I can't see it having a new bottom end in 2k ago if so it may be covered by warranty or it had not been installed properly mate, I would defo ring up the previous owner and ask him if he got a warrenty with the bottom end as
if so you will be covered mate, worth a try
Old 20 February 2010, 06:25 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1982
you would probs loose a fortune if you are to sell the car as ity stands mate imo, there are a couple for sale in the for sale section on this forum now but be warned there not cheap engines mate, depends what you need as you may only need the short motor so you may find one for around the £500 mark if not you may have to buy the full motor, either way it wont be cheap am afraid mate, you should get in touch with the person who you bought it off mind as only 50 miles down the road surely they must of known that the engine was knackd or you have flogged the **** out of it and its gone bang but either way the previous owner should at least be paying something towards the cost bud.
Bottom end went on mine 2yrs ago, was on my way to work and bang. Well bangs the wrong word, sounded like a figgin deisel. No warning a fookall 2k lighter and it's now got an 03 wrx bottom end.
Also note i serviced the car 1 week befor the bottom end went using a no no oil of 0-40 live and learn.

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 20 February 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2010, 07:08 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
what happened to the front wing ;-)
The kerb in front of my drive and the mud flap had a row and the front wing got pulled in. Good start wasn't it, first time I take it home a problem, then on way to bodyshop the engine goes
Old 20 February 2010, 07:12 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1
Bottom end went on mine 2yrs ago, was on my way to work and bang. Well bangs the wrong word, sounded like a figgin deisel. No warning a fookall 2k lighter and it's now got an 03 wrx bottom end.
Also note i serviced the car 1 week befor the bottom end went using a no no oil of 0-40 live and learn.
did you disconect crank sensor when you servised your car
Old 20 February 2010, 08:06 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
did you disconect crank sensor when you servised your car
No but like i said live and learn, i now disconect the crank and dry run. But found that out to late
Old 20 February 2010, 10:56 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

are u meant to disconnect crank sensor everytime u give an oil change. ive never done this before an car still fine. shud i start doing this. is it easier said than done?
Old 20 February 2010, 11:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

seddy, do a search using appropriate keywords. You'll uncover the can of worms to end all can of worms.

But yes do it! lol
Old 20 February 2010, 11:30 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

ok nice 1 will start doing this. can i also ask. why should this be done an what does it tell the car?
Old 20 February 2010, 11:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Do that search - all will be explained and become 'clear'....
Old 21 February 2010, 12:17 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you. **** happens though and always at the wrong time.

Re-building an engine isn't easy. Got a friend who LOVES Subarus and has been re-building engines for years and years and there is even occasion when he gets caught out. It's a bloody expensive process!

If you were up in Scotland I'd be able to sell you an engine in 3-4 weeks when I break my 97 classic... It's got the 'knock sensor' and other little treasures to keep an eye on things!!
Old 21 February 2010, 12:18 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Meant the 'knock-link'... Little LED gizmo that lights up when it detects that dreaded knocking of the engine reaper...
Old 21 February 2010, 10:42 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryansss
Think I'm just on a downer and it's not helping that first scoob so I don't have any idea of where to go.

Ragged, ha ha I wish I'd had the chance. One quick foot down experience and then driven slowly all the way home. Sickening and the previous owner has said he cant believe it as it had a new bottom end in 2k ago from a 51 bugeye. Not alot I can do being a private sale it's just one of them things
What petrol did you put in it. being your first scoob did you use 95ron instead of v-power. Thats one way it would go bang.
Old 22 February 2010, 09:12 AM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k
What petrol did you put in it. being your first scoob did you use 95ron instead of v-power. Thats one way it would go bang.
first scoob, but not my first import.

Previous owner was using tesco 99, but I filled on way back with v-power
Old 22 February 2010, 07:33 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me just like a case of fate mate.

Harsh at that.

Chin up dude.

Steve
Old 22 February 2010, 08:22 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

talk to mark @ thwaites developments he'll point in the right direction mine went pop after a month and he helped me out probaly a long way for you but worth it
Old 22 February 2010, 09:53 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

man i feel for you dude but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel i would go for a rebuild by some one good not just any one but has above speak to this previus onwer find out who done the job and wher eit was from and get him to clal the company that dont as they should be sort this out
Old 23 February 2010, 10:43 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Same happened to me mate. Did you travel on the motorway for any length of time, driving at around 80-90mph going on and off boost?

I bought a 97 sti from Brighton. 90 miles later as I pulled off the slip road, 2 miles from home, I got the dreaded big end bearing clatter. £2k later and it was back on the road. Was not impressed though. I have had 3 scoobies and only had a problem with one.
Old 23 February 2010, 11:31 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
are u meant to disconnect crank sensor everytime u give an oil change. ive never done this before an car still fine. shud i start doing this. is it easier said than done?
You should be doing this everytime you change your oil.

The Oil Change according to the Old Ladies on here:-

1. Remove Oil Filler Cap, 'gently' - take at least 5 minutes or the threads will strip and the exhaust will fall off in a weeks time.

2. Carefully jack up the front of car, make sure that only the 'special' car jacking points are used or the steering wheel will be upside down next time you see it (the special jack points are only known to a select few, not the main dealers!)

3. Locate the Sump Plug, do this using an Inspection Lamp with a 100W bulb - do not, under any circumstances, use a bulb of lower wattage or the splash cover under the engine will melt and pieces will be sucked up into the MAF and then immediate engine failure will occur.

4. Undo Sump Plug whilst humming 'Oil Be Home For Xmas' - do NOT sing any other song or the Radio will never tune into any local stations again and the aerial will need to be replaced at the next service.

5. Allow Oil to drain into a Tupperware Perspex Jug - use only perspex as other plastics react with the old oil and particles travel back through the draining oil and attack the Big-End Bearings.

6. Whilst Oil is draining run around car 15 times in a Morris Dancing Outfit with the special Subaru bells attached to shoes.

7. Remove Oil Filter by unscrewing anti-clockwise 5 times, then clockwise 2 times, continue until filter is free ..... failure to do this will result in the new Filter not filling up with Oil on start-up.

8. Fill Oil Filter with Oil and screw new Oil Filter on and replace Sump Plug - there is some discussion about the order that these need to be replaced, many an evening in a B.O. smelling corner of a dark pub has been spent mulling over the merits of both choices ..... there is a 'special' way, but we are not sure what it is yet.

9. Start filling the engine with Oil - Synthetic only please!! and of course, Subarus need 'special' Oil - Mobil made a 'special' Oil just for us!!

10. Now it gets complicated, the engine start procedure ...... remove the spark plugs, coil packs and battery - remove the seats and rear boot/tailgate - ensure Octane Booster is removed from tank as it might spontaneously start the car when you are not ready - take the drive belts off - turn engine over, s....l....o....w....l....y - engine should be turned over at least 67 times to ensure adequate Oil film coverage.

11. Return all components and start engine whilst whistling the theme tune to TITANIC ................ if you are VERY lucky the engine will not shoot a con-rod through the block (this normally happens to MY96 cars which are MicaPink in colour) - but ALL Model Years can be affected equally as bad.

12. If the engine started without any problems, then don't be smug as the MAF sensor will blow up your engine within 3 days in any case!!!!!

OR, do as the Main Dealers do:-

Change Oil - start engine - check for Oil drips - return to customer!!
Old 23 February 2010, 11:32 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

<groan>
Old 23 February 2010, 12:17 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Old ones are the best ay?
Old 23 February 2010, 12:21 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

i had a v3 gtb engine let go(ej20r)... it was telling me for 50 miles before hand(when i was a good 140+ with an slk) but had to get it home and i knew it was on its way at that point and had an engine booked...anyway, bottom end should be all you need but if you get a full engine at decent money , just buy it !