Notices

scooby engined kit car help

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2010, 09:23 AM
DEACS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scooby engined kit car help

hi im currently building a porsche 911 replica kit car and have a friend who is breaking a 2001 subaru EJ engined forester. what i need to know is what do i need from the car to make sure the engine starts and runs (i.e immobiliser gubbins)

i know i need the floowing

engine
engine loom
ecu

but do i also need the ignition key and transponder ring around the barrel? if so does the transponder ring plus striaght into the ecu or is there a immobiliser box somewhere between the transponder ring and the ecu? i want to make sure i have all the parts before the car goes to the scrapper!
Old 20 February 2010, 09:30 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

A 2001 foz will have the stock Sigma M30 alarm so you will need that with its wiring and 'plipper' and keypad as well.......to go with the key/transponder bits.

At least your kit would be secure!

Probably not the ideal engine (177bhp) compared to an Impreza (over 200).

I trust the Foz is a manual, otherwise you'll have a mare of a time!

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 20 February 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 20 February 2010, 09:35 AM
DEACS
Scooby Newbie

so is the immobiliser not built into the ecu as such then? surely this means its easy to bypass?

ive been offered this engine and ancilaries for free and the kit car itself will only weigh about 750kg even with an engine so no need for monstrous power.
Old 20 February 2010, 09:55 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

No the immobiliser is a seperate (UK market fitment only) add on, not sure where it is on an 01, but its under the column on a 99/00MY with the keypad in the glovebox.

Free sounds good! Make sure you keep the wiring to the diagnostic port and then later you can fit an Impreza turbo (about £50) and get it remapped for circa 260bhp.

While the engine is out change the up-pipe from the right hand manifold to the turbo for one without a catalyst, much easier to do out a car than in!

Covin?

Simon
Old 20 February 2010, 10:00 AM
DEACS
Scooby Newbie

it is indeed a covin!

so yes the meta m30 will just have a dual cut on the starter and ignition wiring no doubt

do you have any links to a EJ20 engine electrics/electronics wiring diagram as il need to figure out the wiring for the starter circuit/fuel pump etc
Old 20 February 2010, 10:18 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Thought so!

Sigma M30 acts to stop it cranking, but is also linked into the EMS, It MAY (I'm not 100% sure) only act via the transponder link wire, so you may be able you remove it and reconnect the transponder - best try in the foz (easy to do once you access the alarm ECU) first to be sure!

You can download the EU electrical manual for a standard car (no alarm) from 2001 Subaru Forester : Service-manual open one page as is, open a copy using a translator like Bablefish (Russian to English) and then download the manual (English langauge) PDF's from the Russian page saving them using a name that makes sense using the Translation!

Simples!

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 20 February 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 20 February 2010, 10:23 AM
DEACS
Scooby Newbie

Transponder link wire? I took it from the description of the meta M30 alarm system that its just a CAT 1 dual circuit immobiliser(as in an aftermarket alarm where it just cuts the circuit for starter and fuel pump). whats the transponder for? is there a chip in the key too?
Old 20 February 2010, 10:39 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

SIGMA SIGMA SIGMA M30........

The transponder is standard fit on all subaru's of that age (to all markets) and seperate to the alarm and immobiliser, there is a chip in the keys and a pickup in the column round (from memory) the barrel, stops you starting the car without a key, the wire from that is also routed through the alarm (there is a connector labelled for it - I know as I have changed my alarm ECU).

Simon
Old 20 February 2010, 10:45 AM
DEACS
Scooby Newbie

yeah sigma, sorry im having a mad 5 mins!

right so basically i do need the transponder ring and the key. the wiring from ther transponder ring then goes to where?

i ask becasue on bmw e36s you have the transponder ring that then goes to a little box behind the dash and then into the ecu where as on some fords the transponder ring plus straight into the ecu with nothing in between.

so basically what im asking is do i need to search for soem othe rbox behind the dash? failing this is it possible to run the engine on a ecu from a different year to avoid all this immobiliser bullsh1t? lol