Notices

Classic Dash installation into Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2010, 03:25 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Classic Dash installation into Facelift

I have a 1997 Subaru Impreza 2.0 AWD Wagon with an RB5 engine and gearbox (apparently), it's a turbo conversion anyway...

The engine and box seem to be spot on as far as installation is concerned. It was a proper conversion as far as the engine/box/differentials etc is concerned. Wiring isn't too bad. Everything under the bonnet is good(ish). Shameful thing is that the standard brakes were never swapped but I have now done this as a priority safety issue, car now STOPS...

Clearly the guy that did the conversion knew what he was doing... The problem comes with the guy who bought it after him... Clearly didn't have a clue!

So... I've owned the vehicle for a couple of weeks now. Major area of challenge is the interior, stuck a temporary WRX salon interior in just now (customised the back bench) until I can get hold of proper 'clean' wagon stuff. Changed the door cards for classic ones which are immaculate (still got drivers one to do as I need to change the electric window connector).

Anyway... Point of my post? I prefer the cleanness and basicness (word?) of the classic dash. I am wanting to remove the face lift one and fit the standard classic one. Is there anything that I should look out for or is there going to be any major issues?

How do the looms on the Subarus work? Is it an engine loom and an interior loom? I'd like to fit the classic loom too if possible.

Not got much experience with Subarus, mainly a VW man, so everything is newish to me. Not affraid of engine conversions etc. Handy with a welder and grinder. No issues with wiring once I figure it out.

One other thing. Speedo works intermittently. I understand this is a common fault but I can't seem to find the 'colour' of wire that sends the signal to the clockface in order to check if there 'is' a signal being sent. Anyone know? Can I fit the facelift clocks in the classic dash? Got WRSport ones (whatever they are...)

Many thanks guys and nice to be with you all,

Robert
Old 11 February 2010, 04:09 PM
mirrorman
Scooby Regular

so your wanting to go from a classic face lift dash Version 4/5/6, to a classic pre face lift? version 1/2/3 ?

its not so simple as the clocks in the face lift are elecrtonic but the pre face lift arnt,
I think the dash loom needs to be changed, so unless your pretty confident, I wouldnt bother,

BUT I think the face lift clocks will fit in the earlier dash but will be a bit tight.

Also not sure but the heater matrix's might be different, as well as the controls etc.

HTH
Baz
Old 11 February 2010, 06:45 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

so your wanting to go from a classic face lift dash Version 4/5/6, to a classic pre face lift? version 1/2/3 ?

Yes...

its not so simple as the clocks in the face lift are elecrtonic but the pre face lift arnt,
I think the dash loom needs to be changed, so unless your pretty confident, I wouldnt bother,

No problemo with the wiring. Obviously the speedo would need to be seperated out of the newer loom and blended into the older one, again, no problemo (maybe find out what is wrong with it at the same time!)

BUT I think the face lift clocks will fit in the earlier dash but will be a bit tight.

They're pretty damned tight at the moment!

Also not sure but the heater matrix's might be different, as well as the controls etc.

I have a 'pre-facelift classic' car to rip to pieces so shouldn't have any issues with sourcing whatever is needed. My only real concerns were mounting brackets and possible bulkhead altercations. If it's just an updated dash then I'll have em sorted out in no time. Just seats and a carpet after that...

HTH
Baz

Thank you. Any additional info more than welcome. PS: ABS doesn't seem to be working... Any thoughts?

Car is a dog but with time it'll be perfect... Never had a not perfect car after a while. Used to buy the standard base model 1.4 L Golfs and make em into VR6s or GTi's so handy round about cars just not 100% certain about the old Subarus, new meat for me and so many different specs!!!