Help its bleeding coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2010, 11:20 PM
doobyscoodo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Help its bleeding coolant??

Hi as above,

The car seems to be smoking & loosing coolant but only once I've been running the car for a while or driving hard. I had a look this evening as it seems to leaking from a large pipe coming of back, at the bottom, on the passenger side of the Rad. Given the weather & not having a garage I will be topping up Again! in the morning until to get to and from work when I will get underneath it. However my conceren is where the pipe is leaking at the join its running down the metal pipe & dripping on the big metal plate below and this is getting rather corroded and am worried what its for??? I'm not techincally minded but I hope this pic helps although it was dark!!!
Sub.jpg picture by doobyscoodo - Photobucket
Old 10 February 2010, 12:21 AM
Stig67
Scooby Regular

it looks like the heat shield on the manifold [headers] i would be more concernd about mending the leak
Old 10 February 2010, 01:57 AM
scowen
Scooby Regular

yes thats the manifold heat shield

you shouldn't really drive the car when you have a coolant leak just think it mite get worse as your traveling ie the pipe bursting and loosing all coolant & you run the risk of cooking your engine big-style causing headgasket issues.

But if you do have to drive it try & take your time & keep it off boost & keep a bottle of water with you just in-case!

Also when you get the leek sorted i would top the antifreeze level back up as it would of proberly of lost most of its strength now that you have been topping it up as you dont want it freezing if we get any more crapy weather