Lambda Sensor from a Bugeye onto a Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2010, 12:10 PM
Beastra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambda Sensor from a Bugeye onto a Classic

All my original problems have come back

Recently had a misfire, backfire, fueling problems and after the fitment of many new parts and a trip to Powerstation, they're all back.

Car became lumpy on idle and the inside of the car vibrates a lot. The worst part is there's a very strong smell of petrol and when you open the bonnet it hits you straight away. Spent a few hours yesterday checking for any obvious fuel leaks but couldn't spot any.

Anyway my question is this;

The last part to be replaced was the lambda sensor and on closer inspection the wires on the sensor have been cut and re-joined using bullet crimps. Now, I cannot prove this until I ask them tomorrow but I think the garage have used a Lambda sensor from a V plate Bugeye wagon Impreza that they have in their yard and cut the connector off and joined the one from the old sensor. If this is the case, could this be contributing to my problems ??

If it was a direct replacement sensor they had fitted then there wouldn't be any joins in the wires.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:27 PM
moose 98765
Scooby Newbie

Most universal Lambda sensors have to be connected to the existing original connector off your old lambda sensor via a connection box.
My car refuses to tickover and is overfueling, I fitted a second hand air flow meter and this seemed to cure it...until yesterday I had to disconnect it and drive home very slowly
Old 07 February 2010, 01:33 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

As Moose says above, most universal sensors require grafting onto the OE loom.

You can test the lambda by puttin g a multimeter or simlar on the signal wire, shown below. It should cycle continually between 0.1 and 0.9 volts if its working correctly

Also the difference in quality is emense, the pic below shows a ebay universal and a Bosch universal from Just Lambda for UK lambda sensor sales I don't need to say which is which