Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2010, 12:41 PM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi ECU problems???

Hi guys,
i have a 96 320 bhp modified impreza.
awhile ago it wouldnt start, which left 5mins would then start on the 1st crank of the engine. that became more regular, to this point now where it only starts 1 in 10 times! (engine is fine once started)

Now its been checked, and after speaking to paul at zen performance who installed and mapped it - he seems to think that it could be the crank/cam sensor or the cambelt has missed a tooth or is loose??? The only part that doesnt make sense is if i put a standard ecu in it - its completely fine!!!!
so could it still be the problems listed? or does it need remapping? or is it possible that the actual ecu is stuffed????

Any ideas would be extremely helpful????

Thanks
Old 07 February 2010, 01:52 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I did explain this in great detail on the phone.

It can certainly be the crank/cam sensors even if the standard ECU works, I've seen it before and it's easy to check. Get some known good sensors, borrowed from another car if needed and try them first, then check the belt timing if you're still haveing issues. Beyond that, then perhaps look at the ECU, an easy test is to try the power FC in another car.

All very simple tests that will give you a much better idea of what's going on.

Paul
Old 07 February 2010, 03:00 PM
Andyh4983
Scooby Newbie

Hi Paul,
yes i relayed as best as possible to my mechanic what you told me and he is going to do what you said, so thank you on that my friend!

Please dont take me listing this question as me not appreciating your experience or insight into the matter either paul, you obviusly know your stuff and in all honesty i was just making sure what i had passed on to my mechanoc was correct and i didnt get what you explained to me all twisted!ha (I didnt really want to bother you again untill i had tried what you explained 1st - i realise you must be a busy man!).

Thanks for answering another couple of niggling questions i had AGAIN anyway, very very much appreciated!!

Kind Regards
Andy