Notices

This months PPC Magazine and Dave Walkers opinion..

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2010, 01:25 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This months PPC Magazine and Dave Walkers opinion..

Now; Dave Walker has a lot of experience and a very good reputation - but this months PPC see's him denounce road mapping almost in its entirety.

(direct quote) - "People who tell you mapping on the road is better than on a dyno are talking from a viewpoint of ignorance. I mean no insult here, being ignorant means not knowing something. It doesn't make you stupid or slow. In this instance it just means that you've never experienced mapping on a dyno or you haven't done enough of it to work this out for yourself."

Now, I don't think I'm mistaken in saying that almost every one of the most respected mappers in Impreza circles at least swear by road mapping? Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle, JGM, Dynamix (in no particular order!), plus a few others who don't immediately spring to mind.

Now I've always read Dave Walkers column in PPC, and in its previous incarnation in C&CC with great interest, but I can't help thinking that from the standpoint of a wayperson (ie someone who hasn't got a clue where to start with mapping a car!) it seems a bit off center. While I see rolling road mapping being useful for that initial map on a bare ECU, I can't help thinking that road sessions allow the most accurate cooling/intake circumstances to be replicated - as opposed to the relatively static air of a dyno cell. While this may not be that critical to an NA engine - the combination of warm intake and substandard IC cooling surely makes a huge difference to the environment that the ECU "sees".

So who is going to go and fight Dave Walker?
Old 01 February 2010, 02:27 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Well I've remapped some of Dave walkers dyno mapped cars, and it made me totally change my opinion of his mapping skills. Although the Emerald ECU he sells is not at all suitable for road mapping, so perhaps his viewpoint is skewed.
Old 01 February 2010, 02:34 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Oh.

My folks live pretty close to his place - and I couldn't help but wonder if there was a little self interest in there. I think its far for any mapper to believe that their way of doing things is the best way - presumably they wouldn't do it their way otherwise!
Old 01 February 2010, 03:18 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Maybe it was a case of using the correct method and showing your working out, but ending up with the wrong result somehow.
Old 01 February 2010, 03:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As a mere customer....

My car exhibited symptoms on a dyno that I can't reproduce on the road....

dunx
Old 01 February 2010, 06:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as his view point is from mapping on the dyno and developing an ecu suited to that does that also make him ignorant?
The main issue with roller mapping is you must check and make adjustments on the road after.
I do both depending on what suits the car or the owner.
Simon
Old 02 February 2010, 07:54 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not mapped an Emerald ecu but ultimately it comes down to what the mappers method of mapping is. From what I have seen (and heard), everyone has their own methods and procedures in setting up the car for best performance. As long as the end result is achieved then the method isn't particularly important.